Dear Leferd, I have good news for you!

Valsuelm

You missed the PM button

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd say the Oprah prediction is worthy of its own thread. I like it, we will all get new cars or something. Although then we will get hit with a hefty tax bill.   :p

JNhU5Tt.gif

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

Donald Trump is going to be a one term President, at most.

I hope you're ready for President Oprah Winfrey!

Cheers,

Valsuelm

Your prescience is uncanny. Never doubt!

...Is Weight Watcher stock publicly traded? Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

...Is Weight Watcher stock publicly traded? Asking for a friend.

LOL

I didn't know until I looked it up, but it is!

Certainly a good long term investment.

I suppose one good thing about an Oprah Presidency would be a higher level of health consciousness nationwide?

She'd certainly be a better choice than Clinton. Or Trump. That said, as successful as she I just don't see her with the eprosnality to be President. For exmaple, could she live with herslef sending people to their deaths like a President needs to. Every president no matter their believes has to be wijlling to deal with that kind of live and death decision making.  

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

She'd certainly be a better choice than Clinton. Or Trump. That said, as successful as she I just don't see her with the eprosnality to be President. For exmaple, could she live with herslef sending people to their deaths like a President needs to. Every president no matter their believes has to be wijlling to deal with that kind of live and death decision making.  

Methinks Oprah would have no trouble at all sending people to their deaths, nor would most anyone else who has supported War X we've been involved in, in the last ~120+ years. They'd just do what they do now: blame someone else for making them support evil, and pretend it isn't evil....

There are certainly people in Washington willing to make that easy for you; who will be happy to convince you to do the deed, showing you 'intel' and all sorts of things to convince you you're doing a good thing. All you have to do is buy the bridge....

Oprah is a success in part due to her pragmatic ruthlessness. A trait most every self made billionaire possesses.

How old is Bernie. I mean he looks ancient as in he doesn't have 12 good years left. I don't know if you have another communist. Probably wouldn't be the same. 

Bernie isn't going anywhere next election, even if he was 10 years younger. His days as a contender are done.

There are plenty of commies in the U.S.A. Oodles.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

Oprah in 2020? Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

We need to get off the whole celebrity president thing. It's not going to end well/

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oprah in 2020? Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

We need to get off the whole celebrity president thing. It's not going to end well/

President Camacho disagrees

president-camacho.jpg

• Like 4

Fortune favors the bald.

So I'm reading this nice write up about the HBO show VEEP (it's pretty good) when out of nowhere this little nugget drops:

It’s almost inevitable for actors on a political TV show to find politics become a part of their real lives. Louis-Dreyfus said she has been approached by top Democrats and asked to run for office.

Elaine from Seinfeld in Washington DC? She plays a politician on TV  so some folks think she can BE a politician? Would Al Franken be a Senator from MN if he was never on Saturday Night Live? Would Donald Trump be President if not for The Apprentice? Of the other "celebrity" things he's done? If he had stayed just a real-state billionaire? Remember the line from Ghostbusters (the original one) "Choose the form of your destroyer"? God help us!

Here is the article. It's a funny show and the article isn't about politics so much as the show: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/what-happens-to-political-comedy-when-the-real-world-goes-beyond-satire-veep-is-about-to-find-out/2017/04/07/bd4be4e6-0281-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.3db617db265c

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So I'm reading this nice write up about the HBO show VEEP (it's pretty good) when out of nowhere this little nugget drops:

It’s almost inevitable for actors on a political TV show to find politics become a part of their real lives. Louis-Dreyfus said she has been approached by top Democrats and asked to run for office.

Elaine from Seinfeld in Washington DC? She plays a politician on TV  so some folks think she can BE a politician? Would Al Franken be a Senator from MN if he was never on Saturday Night Live? Would Donald Trump be President if not for The Apprentice? Of the other "celebrity" things he's done? If he had stayed just a real-state billionaire? Remember the line from Ghostbusters (the original one) "Choose the form of your destroyer"? God help us!

Here is the article. It's a funny show and the article isn't about politics so much as the show: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/what-happens-to-political-comedy-when-the-real-world-goes-beyond-satire-veep-is-about-to-find-out/2017/04/07/bd4be4e6-0281-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.3db617db265c

Its pretty normal, because people feel like they know that person, on other hand, wasn't one of best presidents in US history an actor?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Its pretty normal, because people feel like they know that person, on other hand, wasn't one of best presidents in US history an actor?

Yes but before that he was a lobbyist for the American Veterans Committee, He worked on the Harry Truman campaign, was the Governor of California for 8 years and had a PAC after that until being elected in 1980. He was not a newbie to political leadership like Trump and some of the names being tossed around to replace him or go to Congress.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of the 80's I remember Sally Field of all people testifying before Congress on the hardships of working farm families. She is wealthy beyond their wildest dreams and never once lost a moment of sleep worrying about the weather of health of a crop. So what qualified  here to testify before congress? She played a farm wife in a movie.

I'd say we lost our minds as a people for electing Trump but the truth is it happened a long time before that. Just one more step in the long descent into self parody.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of the 80's I remember Sally Field of all people testifying before Congress on the hardships of working farm families. She is wealthy beyond their wildest dreams and never once lost a moment of sleep worrying about the weather of health of a crop. So what qualified  here to testify before congress? She played a farm wife in a movie.

I'd say we lost our minds as a people for electing Trump but the truth is it happened a long time before that. Just one more step in the long descent into self parody.

I wouldn't see it as the USA  losing its mind, I would see the Trump election victory  due to a number of factors that existed at the time. It was a perfect storm to be honest for the Trump faction and Trump ideology to win the election.

But populism played a big part. I am still surprised by some of the rhetoric from both sides like Sanders claiming he would " break-up the banks " .....Im sorry  but that's classic   "anti-banking sentiment 101 " and could never be  realistically implemented 

But GD his presidency hasnt been all bad, like certain foreign policy decisions,  so far and that's reassuring at least  :geek:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I like the Goresuch nomination to the Supreme court. That is all that has happened. He as used executive authority to undo some things Obama did with executive authority. And he's talked a good game. Then he fired some missiles at an apparently empty airfield in response to a supposed chemical weapons attack by no-one -is-sure-who. Not much of substance has really been done yet. But that is really to job of Congress and the Republican majority was thankfully checked by it's own members from turning into Democrat-Lite. None of that has much to do with Trump. I'm not passing any judgement on his Presidency, it hasn't even been three months yet. I just with someone else (but not Clinton) were there.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I like the Goresuch nomination to the Supreme court. That is all that has happened. He as used executive authority to undo some things Obama did with executive authority. And he's talked a good game. Then he fired some missiles at an apparently empty airfield in response to a supposed chemical weapons attack by no-one -is-sure-who. Not much of substance has really been done yet. But that is really to job of Congress and the Republican majority was thankfully checked by it's own members from turning into Democrat-Lite. None of that has much to do with Trump. I'm not passing any judgement on his Presidency, it hasn't even been three months yet. I just with someone else (but not Clinton) were there.

GD do you believe Trump will "drain the swamp of Washington " ?   :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That is problem with politics today. If you are doing it whole life you are so disconnected from majority of population. I think that it should be mandatory to work as middle class/lower class employee for at least 10 years until you are eligible to became politician

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That is problem with politics today. If you are doing it whole life you are so disconnected from majority of population. I think that it should be mandatory to work as middle class/lower class employee for at least 10 years until you are eligible to became politician

Two words... TERM LIMITS. We need them in the worst way.

Thomas Sowell

thats too rough, you don't want to get rid of good politicans to just replace them with bad ones because of terms. Terms have meaning in posts from which you can't be voted out

• Like 1

There are term limits. They're called elections.

If those aren't good enough, keeping people from voting in who they want is definitely not the answer.

If ever there was a false light on the horizon, 'term limits' are it. They will do absolutely nothing to alleviate any of the problems in Washington, and very arguably and probably would exasperate them.

Well, I'm certainly no fan of saving people from themselves by imposing tern limits. And I do believe we get the government we deserve. But we do have a "political class" in this country that never works in the private sector and is so disconnected from the people it purports to represent they might was well be a different species. We have voted ourselves into an oligarchy without even realizing it. The worst aspect of the two party system is that the choice ends up being a different shade of the same color.

Harry Reid was the poster child for term limits. He spent his in entire working life as a public servant or of the staff of one. The largest pay he ever received was $174k/ year he retired. And that amount includes his travel allowance. He retired a multi-millionaire. Either he was not spending his own money (in which case whose was he spending?) of he was on the take.

The problem with Term Limits is to get it you have to get the same dirty a------s you want to get rid of to agree to them. That is a pretty high hurdle to leap.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell