I heard josh say that deadfire will be "about the same size" as pillars 1.

Is that including the expansions or not the expansions?

Or does anyone have anymore news on this?

This is one topic I am very concerned/ interested in.

I imagine he meant without expansions. I remember him saying that they were happy with the size of PoE but they want deadfire to have more depth, be more reactive. As far as playtime/amount of maps: I doubt Obsidian themselves know.

Seems like a right approach to me. Many of the locations in PoE felt unnecessary, empty. i will take engaging content over arbitrary "size".

• Like 3

Seems like a right approach to me. Many of the locations in PoE felt unnecessary, empty. i will take engaging content over arbitrary "size".

I take the opposite view where those "empty" areas provide an opportunity for exploration.

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The size of Deadfire will be:

USA: 20, UK: 20, France: 50, Germany: 48, Italy: 54, Greece: 48, Japan: 21, Mexico: 48.

With all seriousness, they said several times it's going to about as long as PIllars was; although we're not sure yet if extra content will be added since we hit the 20 level cap. We'll just have to wair an update (if they're willing to talk about game length - it's a tricky topic).

I take the opposite view where those "empty" areas provide an opportunity for exploration.

To me exploration suggest there is something interesting to find (well constructed encounter, quest, unique event, nice location). Many of the wilderness locations were quite dull, with dull combat encounters.

Many of the locations in PoE felt unnecessary, empty.

Like what?  I thought most areas had a point to them.  If there wasn't much to do in an area, then it was only trying to emulate BG1's exploration.

Pearlwood bluff is a good example - you have a short interaction related to companions quest, and a cave enterance. Location sie

isn't particularly interesting, not much to find. i did feel like they designed outdoors locations with one side quest in mind, and didn't manage to add more content to fill those areas. White march did things much better. With much varied locals, more things to find, unique encounters, interactions, quests.

It's been a while since I played BG1 but I remember them all being quite engaging (might be younger me talking though). Having more word building behind them. I can't put my fingers on it, but BG did feel more to me like an openworld game. PoE wilderness areas felt more disconnected and empty. Not all of them. But pearlwood bluff, searing falls, "road maps" leading to Raedricks keep... not brilliant.

Pearlwood bluff is a good example - you have a short interaction related to companions quest, and a cave enterance. Location sie

isn't particularly interesting, not much to find. i did feel like they designed outdoors locations with one side quest in mind, and didn't manage to add more content to fill those areas. White march did things much better. With much varied locals, more things to find, unique encounters, interactions, quests.

Sir, I beg to differ. For me, White March's open area locations felt too chock full of stuff. You could hardly walk a few paces without falling over some ancient wizard's dead apprentice, a band of slavers, a bounty or an ambushed caravan.

An empty city area is bad, but an occasional empty wilderness area is reasonable.

• Like 5

^there's a difference between 'quest/mob-filled' and 'interesting'.

Having a nice waterfall area can be an interesting thing to discover on a map.  But compared to BG maps, the areas were small in PoE so there felt like there was less 'exploration'.

I'd like areas that I can explore without getting hit up with enemies, but to have just open grassland isn't interesting.  Open grassland where you can stumble upon something is interesting.  Exploring cliffs / rivers with no quests/enemies, and then finding a waterfall with a secret cave behind it is interesting.

Exploring an area with nothing to discover in it is not interesting.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Significantly bigger, if sailing is implemented as advertised. Content wise probably around the same or a little bigger given the higher base level cap. Personally I want them to work on pacing as opposed to amount of content, PoE feels like a lot of content is packed into the second act with the 3rd act feeling sparse in comparison. Could just be my perspective though.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

To me exploration suggest there is something interesting to find (well constructed encounter, quest, unique event, nice location). Many of the wilderness locations were quite dull, with dull combat encounters.

Hmm, well exploration means travel into the unknown in order to learn about it. The key work being travel. You don't have to find something deep and interesting every other minute; this isn't a music video. I'm fine with so-called "dull" wilderness locations because they highlight the interesting locales. That's what travelling the wilderness is like, and in that sense they're much like similar areas in Baldur's Gate. My preference would have been to include more such wilderness areas with a few interesting highlights.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Deadfire absolutely must be as big as bg2 or I want a refund!

I hope your watching josh!

You probably shouldn't buy any RPGs anytime soon.

• Like 1

Hmm, well exploration means travel into the unknown in order to learn about it. The key work being travel. You don't have to find something deep and interesting every other minute; this isn't a music video. I'm fine with so-called "dull" wilderness locations because they highlight the interesting locales. That's what travelling the wilderness is like, and in that sense they're much like similar areas in Baldur's Gate. My preference would have been to include more such wilderness areas with a few interesting highlights.

ok, the thing is I don't disagree. I like exploration, I like discovering thing. But I also don't like padding - just to be clear, I don't think Pillars had this problem.

My issue with the "exploration" in PoE was that I rarely found something interesting. The special events were tied to quests, and therefore I knew I will find them there before venturing to said location. I was rarely surprised. Instead, I would just spent time looking for the objective without finding anything else worth finding. There were some cool stuff (Bleakwalkers in Margran Fork... and... a cave, and... Fulvano stuff... yhhhh... nothing else comes to mind) but not nearly enough for my taste. Just a lot of trash mobs, from which you don't get experience from defeating and which aren't too engaging to fight.

I make it sound very bad. It wasn't bad.

• Like 1

ok, the thing is I don't disagree. I like exploration, I like discovering thing. But I also don't like padding - just to be clear, I don't think Pillars had this problem.

My issue with the "exploration" in PoE was that I rarely found something interesting. The special events were tied to quests, and therefore I knew I will find them there before venturing to said location. I was rarely surprised. Instead, I would just spent time looking for the objective without finding anything else worth finding. There were some cool stuff (Bleakwalkers in Margran Fork... and... a cave, and... Fulvano stuff... yhhhh... nothing else comes to mind) but not nearly enough for my taste. Just a lot of trash mobs, from which you don't get experience from defeating and which aren't too engaging to fight.

I make it sound very bad. It wasn't bad.

It wasn't bad, but more of what you said (Bleak walkers and fulvano) would be a great add to POE2

hopefully it will be as big as BG2 after they release the expansions for it

pillars 1 (with expansions) wasn't really all that much small then BG2 (without throne of bhaal)

Personally I found Pillars much bigger than Baldur's Gate II, with expansions especially. That is not a dig at the latter, mind, I still think it's a better game overall, but I'm not too worried with the size, and as much as I like my RPGs to be sprawly and ambitious there does come a point when they may burn one out, regardless of how good they are.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

pillars 1 (with expansions) wasn't really all that much small then BG2 (without throne of bhaal)

Personally I found Pillars much bigger than Baldur's Gate II, with expansions especially. That is not a dig at the latter, mind, I still think it's a better game overall, but I'm not too worried with the size, and as much as I like my RPGs to be sprawly and ambitious there does come a point when they may burn one out, regardless of how good they are.

Yeah but the end areas in pillars 1 where absolutely lacking in quality. I'm talking about the elmshore, twin elms areas and city. There was hardly any content at all in those areas and it was over and done with too quickly.

That was the biggest fault in the game IMO

• Like 1

Yeah but the end areas in pillars 1 where absolutely lacking in quality. I'm talking about the elmshore, twin elms areas and city. There was hardly any content at all in those areas and it was over and done with too quickly.

That was the biggest fault in the game IMO

And they won't be making a second gimped city in Deadfire, so that's solved.

• Like 1

thank god.

hows how they put that end game final weapon merchant right at the end of the game like that in twin elms/elmshore

was incredibly frustrating to only be able to get all those items right at the end so you couldn't use them for 90% of the game

Edited by firkraag888

Well with expansions installed you can now go to Twin Elms, buy your preferred stuff and then do WM I and II. It's kind of quirky, but that way you can enjoy your favorite gear a bit longer. Before the expansions came out I felt the same.

I still fell a bit angry about Acuan Giamas (morning star). One of the best weapons in the game (especially for rogues) - and it comes sooo late. It's a shame.

Same with the superb Daybreak (morning star) that you can find right on the way to the last fight. It feel a bit like a slap in the face if you are a fancier of morning stars and then the two most awesome ones can be found around 5 minutes before the game is over...*

* and another good one can only be bought from Azzurro, that "King of Random" of Eora...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods