Best Class for Dialog Build (Per 15 / Int 15 / Res 15)?

What's the best class for a dialog-centric array of stats focused on Perception, Intellect, and Resolve?

Cipher and Druid look decent, and a tanky Paladin could work (maybe a Moon Godlike).

What else would work well?

• Like 1

Chanter is probably the 'strongest' option - you don't need DEX at all, and just enough CON to stay up - which leaves a lot of discretionary points for MIG and even more points in the big 3.

Paladin would be a good option as well - not DEX dependent, and a 13/10/10/15/15/15 spread would be reasonable for a pretty wide variety of builds.

• Like 1

Probably a caster class focuses on cc but to be honest you could make almost any class work with those stats. Moon godlike is nice for tanks or builds that get hit alot. Also cipher is nice because they dont need lots of might to do melee\ranged damage with focus. Tanky paladin would be fine and still get Sacred Immolation to do some decent dps. If you go with non caster you will just want to focus on active abilities to get more use out of INT or even focus on scrolls.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

I'd pick two out of the three and make whatever class you'd like or even just one. As Firkraag888 said there is not any game changing dialogues that happen due to stats anyway.

Personally I don't like to have both Intellect and Resolve dialogue options as they do not fit together in my opinion. Intellect dialogue is based on being clever like a lawyer and wheedling your self out of some situation on a technicality while Resolve dialogues are based upon personal conviction that chooses to do the right thing because it is the right thing. If you have enough personal resolve to do the right thing then you don't need to be clever about it.

Edited by KDubya

your wasting your time. There aren't really any dialog options that significantly change anything in the game.

Oh, some can be important. Two examples:

- With high RES you can talk Serel into giving her the amulet for free. This will spare you thousands of pands. Depends on your financial sutuation if that's important or not of course.

- with high RES you can talk the Alpine Dragon into giving you Ryona's Vambraces. That means you can get them very eraly without a fight (and come back later to kill the dragon ;) ). Good for builds who want to specialize in DR bypass - like retaliation builds of blunderbuss builds or wizards with focus on spells which benefit from DR bypass and so on.

... and some others. But nothing crucial, it's true.

You won't get anything that you also can get otherwise (but in a more difficult way). Most of the time it's just more dialogue options and flavor. So, more a roleplaying than powergamer thing.

Any build that has high PER, INT, RES and MIG can do a lot of special dialogues. So things like chanter tanks, paladin tanks and such come to mind. One of the builds that can do this is the following (although I never intended that  ;) ): The Golden Dragon

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

a great combination of power on the battlefield and dialog options is the classical chanter build around the “dragon thrashed“ phrase. you can dump Dex, max Mig, max Int, max Per. that way you have a lot of dialog choices. if you also go 11 Res (base), you will have 14 Res after the first fight at stalwart (due to that ring from the ogre boss), which is enough to get some resolve based dialog options too. and that fight is still quite early in the game. with a chanter, its also easy to get to 12 lore. that another plus in terms of roleplay.

• Like 1

your wasting your time. There aren't really any dialog options that significantly change anything in the game.

Oh, some can be important. Two examples:

- With high RES you can talk Serel into giving her the amulet for free. This will spare you thousands of pands. Depends on your financial sutuation if that's important or not of course.

- with high RES you can talk the Alpine Dragon into giving you Ryona's Vambraces. That means you can get them very eraly without a fight (and come back later to kill the dragon ;) ). Good for builds who want to specialize in DR bypass - like retaliation builds of blunderbuss builds or wizards with focus on spells which benefit from DR bypass and so on.

... and some others. But nothing crucial, it's true.

You won't get anything that you also can get otherwise (but in a more difficult way). Most of the time it's just more dialogue options and flavor. So, more a roleplaying than powergamer thing.

Any build that has high PER, INT, RES and MIG can do a lot of special dialogues. So things like chanter tanks, paladin tanks and such come to mind. One of the builds that can do this is the following (although I never intended that ;) ): The Golden Dragon

Shameless promotion.

• Like 2

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Secondarily, in my current playthrough I've noticed quite a few dialogue options that high Lore would have given me a few other options. Survival as well.

There are a few dialogue options that require 17 or 18 scores. I haven't noticed, do the dialogue options look at non-buffed scores or can food and rest stat boosters help? If so, I would imagine if you shoot for 15s, as you posit, in those attributes that would get you the most options.

Joe

Edited by JFutral

There are a few dialogue options that require 17 or 18 scores. I haven't noticed, do the dialogue options look at non-buffed scores or can food and rest stat boosters help? If so, I would imagine if you shoot for 15s, as you posit, in those attributes that would get you the most options.

They look at buffed stats - gear, food, rest, and prostitute bonuses all count.  You can even pop the unique watcher skill before talking for an additional +2 to all stats (and time is effectively frozen during dialogue, so it'll last the whole conversation).

As a result you don't actually need all that much in those stats to pass every dialogue check in the game - if you know what's coming, or save before important dialogues.  Otherwise, 15s with +2/+3 gear to those stat and popping the watcher skill before dialogues will let you pass everything going in blind.

If I remember well you get the Vambraces only if you help the dragon.