Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are they doing with rangers in deadfire?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14511 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
You definitely never build a wolf with Predator's Sense, Vicious and Merciless Companion and used Persistence...

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ye i agree wolf hit like a truck after you add all the talents and abilities. I also think they need to track the damage the animal does. I think it would surprise people how powerful they are. They were definitely not weak. I hope at least one of the subs has even more potential with the animal. I really dont like the idea of the ghost ranger but i like that there are different subclasses for different play styles.

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ye i agree wolf hit like a truck after you add all the talents and abilities. I also think they need to track the damage the animal does. I think it would surprise people how powerful they are. They were definitely not weak. I hope at least one of the subs has even more potential with the animal. I really dont like the idea of the ghost ranger but i like that there are different subclasses for different play styles.

Can't speak for everyone but my big gripes were lack of melee anything by design (you can but not intended) and the "sit and forget" approach to the rangers abilities and talents basically made him a snooze fest to play outside of a few unique melee builds and even then...

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ye i can understand that. My last few ranger builds are all melee. I enjoyed the positioning game to get the most out of my animals sneak attack and my survival skill. I want to play that way now in POE2. My first play through was a war bow ranger which was fun for me the first time but now i like the ambush flanking role i am using my ranger pet combo for. I think multi classing can add lots of active abilities. I am sure i will play my first ranger as pure class. Hopefully the Stalker class Josh mentioned turns out interesting. He gave no details just the name. i guess they get that from BG but curious what POE version will be.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5057 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They have only mentioned one subclass so far and there are two to come. The one they mentioned is this: your animal companionhas died some time in the past but you now have the ability to summon a ghost animal companion or something like that. So a petless ranger with a summon. I personally dont like this because i like the animal companion but i know a lot of people, including you, will because then they can be a ranger without the animal companion. I to hope that one of the subclasses will be melee focused or pet focused instead of ranged. I play mainly melee rangers now in POE1. I had more fun with those.

I'm going to guess that the spirit animal does cold damage? Maybe they will also acquire some of the other abilities of shadows or phantoms?

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 568 posts

I've also never been a fan of rangers being shackled to an animal sidekick. But it's also true that they need something to set them apart from just being rogues or fighters who happen to hang out in the wilderness a lot. In PoE, this something is pets. I'm curious about the subclass that replaces the pet with a summon. We'll see how it does in play.

It's just unfortunate that pets were so lackluster in the past game. The fact that Rangers can depend on their whole party to put distance between them and the enemies, means pets feel kind of superfluous. They tend to not offer all that much utility, and what they do is pretty limited. I'd like to see far more options for building up pets. Some classes get so many spells, like druids. Rangers just felt sort of lame, and the pets even more so. Even Druids felt lackluster in animal form. But at least that didn't seem to detract from their base. Pets seem to detract from the base Ranger, but pets don't really add all that much imo. So the whole class was one of my least favorites.

I actually had to re-roll because I hated Ranger's so much. They were the first class I picked.

You definitely never build a wolf with Predator's Sense, Vicious and Merciless Companion and used Persistence...

Yeah. I never played a ranger PC, but Itumaak becomes a machine of murder with the right abilities. I didn't even use Predator's Sense, I think. Vicious Companion and Merciless Companion were enough for sick damage.

If pets  need something, it's better survivability. They kind of die easily, and you only get supportive abilities for them at a high level.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo, 11 April 2017 - 11:54 AM.

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
They get a ton of modal options and lots of passives and that to me was a huge miss. (no melee aside) there are all kinds of trap related abilities or even actives a ranger could have had and is a ranger-y skillset. Or even simply taking half the modals and make them actives instead would have enhanced the fun factor in PoE1. So for deadfire really hoping they are one class that really gets work put into revamping it at a base level. Most the other classes can be taken care of with addition of subclasses but rangers need some fundemental changes to really "fix" the issues I have with them anyway.

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Ranger

Ghost Heart - Animal companion must be summoned as a spirit. They are not affected by Bonded Grief and the companion is more powerful, but the summon is limited duration.
Sharpshooter - Bonuses to Penetration and Accuracy at range, but slower actions and lower Deflection.
Stalker - Stalker and companion gain bonuses to Deflection and Armor Rating when close to each other, suffer Bonded Grief when too far apart.

above is from update #40 which I am sure most have seen but figured I woukd get some ranger specific converation going again. I believe it was mentioned (in one of the many vids) that the sharpshooter would be closest to PoE1 ranger and that the base class is better balanced between melee and ranged now. So I am psyched to see what these changes entail, also loving the swing in playstyle between all 3 subclasses.

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Going to try a stalker first. hopefully the bonuses allows for a flanking strategy. If the bubble is to small it would kinda stink.

1varangian

1varangian

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would like the animal companion as an option or a specialization instead of being forced to have one as a Ranger.

I like the Ranger as a concept but don't want to have a personal pet running around.

Edited by 1varangian, 13 October 2017 - 05:14 AM.

• Blades of Vanatar likes this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 568 posts

Without the pet, rangers would need some other feature to set them apart from rogues or fighters who happen to hang out in the wilderness a lot.

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would like the animal companion as an option or a specialization instead of being forced to have one as a Ranger.

I like the Ranger as a concept but don't want to have a personal pet running around.

The Ghost Heart is supposed to be the "petless ranger" or as close as we will get anyway. They are not effected by any of the bonded grief effects and the pet isnt even there unless summoned in battle. which makes me curious how he will even work given that rangers resource is "bond" makes me curious to see how that subclass will work resource wise considering they are technically bond-less.

veteran81

veteran81

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
I look forward to playing a ranger & barbarian multiclass. Would be cool if carnage applied to ranged weapons in Poe 2. It may not be op but I like it from an RP stance.

In Poe 1 for melee rangers, I went 2h-sw with tidefall, choose the berserk cross talent. The dot from the sword worked well with the pet.

Also ranger / cipher and ranger / mage I.e arcane mage might be pretty cool too. Really look forward to Poe 2
  • DigitalCrack likes this

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I look forward to playing a ranger & barbarian multiclass. Would be cool if carnage applied to ranged weapons in Poe 2. It may not be op but I like it from an RP stance.

In Poe 1 for melee rangers, I went 2h-sw with tidefall, choose the berserk cross talent. The dot from the sword worked well with the pet.

Also ranger / cipher and ranger / mage I.e arcane mage might be pretty cool too. Really look forward to Poe 2

yeah right now I am torn between rolling a Ghost Heart/Mind Blade or a Ghost Heart/Mage Slayer (or whatever that barbarian subclass is called ha)  mostly for RP although I am sure they aren't terrible combo's.  I like that you can actually look at the class ability trees on creation as that may help me with this decision once the game is released.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5057 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Fire on the Run -- an enhanced version of Marked Prey. The ranger fires at the marked target while moving, but suffers an accuracy penalty while doing so.

gunslinger6792

gunslinger6792

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would love for my ranger to be more melee capable than it currently is. In my mind rangers are adept at melee and ranged combat they just don't wear heavy armor. In essence they're not made for long drawn out fights.

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would love for my ranger to be more melee capable than it currently is. In my mind rangers are adept at melee and ranged combat they just don't wear heavy armor. In essence they're not made for long drawn out fights.

agree. I like playing POE1 melee ranger and they have added a stalker sub class that seems to be more melee focuses. Hopefully the ability revamps allow for some melee flexibility as well. 

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

agree. I like playing POE1 melee ranger and they have added a stalker sub class that seems to be more melee focuses. Hopefully the ability revamps allow for some melee flexibility as well.

Josh actually stated that the sharpshooter is closest to PoE1 ranger and that base ranger will actually have some melee capability without subclass-ing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users