Polished recent RPG's with engaging story and classes

Recent (being at least this gen), polished, good story, classes and combat;

My list;

PoE of course. 

Witcher 3

believe it or not I loved Shadow of Mordor, mostly cause the story the nemisis system created for me and the combat. Stealth in that game was also superb. 

Loved Stick of truth however I cant see myself playing it a second time.

Modded Skyrim for the atmosphere and world.

Sadly there's little else that is atmospheric, well written, polished and current. 

Torment's combat was lack luster, Tyranny ended to quickly, Shadowrun's combat had no 'Impact" to it's feel, Divinity Original Sin came close to perfection but the playful goofy story kept pulling me out, Banner Saga, Transistor, Darkest Dungeon and X:com 2 almost got me there but they didn't have the feel of an rpg, more tactical then my very specific picky tastes. 

These are the reasons I find myself replaying Pillars over and over retrying different builds instead. 

PS to get an idea of what I like here's some of my wishlist for future releases;

Seven Days Long Gone; isometric stealth game by some ex witcher peeps.

Absolver; Martial arts indie game, looks to do what For Honor couldn't do for me. 

Children of Morta; BEAUTIFUL indie rpg, so much atmosphere

Eitr; same reason's as above plus souls like.

Battle Chasers Nightwar; has an anime I don't know what about it and very nice looking combat

Wizard of Legend; another fast paced indie arpg with some amazing looking magic

Many of these dont have the story and exposition I wish for but that's because interesting combat AND story is hard to find these days, add polish and atmosphere and you really narrow the list. 

/ramble ended

I really digged Legend of Grimrock. The atmosphere was great (turn off the lights and use headphones ;)), the combat system is not too complicated. There you could also do multiple runs like in PoE because there were enough good and viable builds.

It's a dungeon crawler like Eye of the Beholder used to be - and it's not too old.

Grimrock 2 I didn't play yet because they refuse to release a Linux version like they did with Grimrock 1. :(

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Morrowind's got everything.

Obtuse, hard to figure out and convoluted mechanics (like Pillars) which are ultimately fun to experiment with, discover and mess around with (like Pillars) and some of the best atmosphere and lore in any game ever created. Still has a fairly active modding community which is making high quality landmass mods that are 4-5x the size of the main game. You'll want to mod it a bit to get the engine and other things up to scratch but apart from that the game is still absolutely golden.

edit: sorry didn't see "recent" in the title, still you can make Morrowind look like it was made very recently with mods, see below:

http://i.imgur.com/ZzClJEQ.jpg

http://dl1.scharesoft.de/screens/Morrowind_Graphics_Extender.jpg

Edited by Livegood118
  • Like 1

I really digged Legend of Grimrock. The atmosphere was great (turn off the lights and use headphones ;)), the combat system is not too complicated. There you could also do multiple runs like in PoE because there were enough good and viable builds.

It's a dungeon crawler like Eye of the Beholder used to be - and it's not too old.

Grimrock 2 I didn't play yet because they refuse to release a Linux version like they did with Grimrock 1. :(

Is there ANY story to this? I toy with getting grimrock 2 often. 

Is there ANY story to this?  (because they seem like theres no story, all combat mostly) I toy with getting grimrock 2 often. (and this would help me decide)

explained. 

Are you looking for good story, good combat, and classes? That's actually a pretty restrictive set of criteria, one which rules out 90% of the games you've mentioned in your own post.

Honestly, the RPG genre has always been a case of very high expectations relative to production conditions, and it's very rare to have a game that does every aspect of it to a good quality like, say, BG2 does. You're better off scratching each itch through games that excel in one specific area, even if it doesn't have everything you want.

This would include:

>Combat: Wizardry, Might & Magic, BG/IWD Series, Underrail

>Setting/atmosphere: Underrail, Arcanum, Fallout 1/2

>Nonlinearity, choices & consequences: Age of Decadence, Alpha Protocol, FNV

>Story: Planescape: Torment, Betrayal at Krondor, Fallout 1/2/NV

Is there ANY story to this?  (because they seem like theres no story, all combat mostly) I toy with getting grimrock 2 often. (and this would help me decide)

explained. 

Ah ok. Well... it's really like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder where you don't talk a lot but instead find hints and clues about the lore and the world. I mean you get thrown into a dungeon and have to crawl out. There's a heavy emphasis on puzzles - some of them really hard but not mandatory. If you like that than yay, if not than it's not a game for you. So, no, not really big storytelling there.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods