Pillars of Eternity 1 Equipment transfered 2, among other things

So, anyway who has played the entirety of Pillars of Eternity 1 knows that by the end of the game you have some pretty serious weapons and armor on hand. Especially if you played White March.

The question of the hour is, what will become of some of these items?

The Hammer of Abydon especially because this weapon was very important.

I would hope that we either get this items back at some point, and not that 'oh they were destroyed with your strong hold'

That'd be kind of a lame excuse.

Not to mention, if returning companions had Soulbound items, will they still have them?

That would be a nice bonus.

On the topic of the Hammer of Abydon, and the end of The White March Part 1, Do you think the Church of Abydon might view your character as some sort of Saint like figure if you restore Abydon.

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

I don't like the idea of equipment transfer, especially when we'll restart as lvl1. That said items that are important in narrative showing up at some later point would be cool. 

I feel the same way about companions; any special equipment they had with them, they sold over the years cos there was no generous Watcher paying/providing their living expenses.

• Like 5

Given that our Watcher is going to start over from zero due to the effect of the God taking control of the body of the giant statue, wouldn't it make sense that the soulbound strength of those weapons would be sapped as well, leading to them being essentially normal weapons?

Just my $0.02

• Like 3

Lame excuse though it may be, giving the player access to end-game equipment right in the beginning is balance breaking, right?

Honestly, I wish there was a new protagonist instead of the watcher. It would save the developers having to make a lot of silly excuses for continuity issues.

"Uh... yeah, the watcher just has amnesia! From getting hit on the head so many times in PoE1, you see? That's why he has to ask about everything again!"

"Uh, no, the watcher had his soul sucked by Eothas, that's why he needs to relearn basic swordsmanship!"

"Ummm... the watcher had some financial issues... too many nights at the Salty Mast. He had to sell off most of his assets, including the Hammer of Abydon." 

etc etc.

• Like 1

Why on earth would you want to be play pillars of eternity 2 with the same magic items that pillars of eternity 1 had?

Me and 99% of the other users on this forum would be devestated if obsidian didn't create a whole range of completely new magic items to discover and use.

That's why it's called pillars of eternity 2 and not pillars 1 reloaded. You no new maps, monsters, classes, spells, adventures, magic items..........

I understand that you went through a lot of work in pillars 1 and you wouldnt want to lose all that stuff but trust me your going to want new gear

Edited by firkraag888
  • Like 3

I don't care how lame the excuse is. The less PoE1 will affect PoE2, the better in my book. I don't want to be compelled to play PoE1 again just so I can get everything out of Deadfire. I've noticed how today it seems to be trendy to follow the Bioware model of branching progressions carrying over from one game to the other, but that is simply promoting the series at the expense of the individual games. The worst part of ME2 is actually the connection it has with ME1 mechanically; you have no idea how many times I've simply decided not to play ME2 again because that would mean I'd also have to play ME1 again. I say a strong no to this practice in general, for a game with an already niche audience, making the threshold of playing, and by extension buying, the game even higher than it is already is a profoundly bad idea.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I don't care how lame the excuse is. The less PoE1 will affect PoE2, the better in my book. I don't want to be compelled to play PoE1 again just so I can get everything out of Deadfire. I've noticed how today it seems to be trendy to follow the Bioware model of branching progressions carrying over from one game to the other, but that is simply promoting the series at the expense of the individual games. The worst part of ME2 is actually the connection it has with ME1 mechanically; you have no idea how many times I've simply decided not to play ME2 again because that would mean I'd also have to play ME1 again. I say a strong no to this practice in general, for a game with an already niche audience, making the threshold of playing, and by extension buying, the game even higher than it is already is a profoundly bad idea.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, is the watcher really worth carrying over? Unlike Shepard, he/she is not even defined as a character. I'm guessing they just liked the soul reading ability, and didn't want to put another protagonist through a biawac.

Me and 99% of the other users on this forum would be devestated if obsidian didn't create a whole range of completely new magic items to discover and use.

lol, did you know 87% of statistics are made up on the spot :p

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 5

They've said, on one of the Q&A's I believe, that some unspecified but very small number of equipment pieces will come over. I'm guessing it will be, like, two or maybe three. The Hammer of Abydon seems likely, as does St. Ydwen's Rdeemer.

• Like 1

Who cares about objects when you start a new game anyway? As if there are not going to be new ones. The important thing is player transfer and returning companions. Transfering itemts is meh, imo, aside the part that you'd way overpowered. I don't even remeber what items I had at the end :p

• Like 4

Well, there has been some info from OE on this matter. First of all, almost no items will transfer with your watcher. A few minor "novelty" items may crossover. But none of your big items and certainly not your soulbound stuff. At the start of PoE 2 all that stuff is in Caed Nua's armory, which is destroyed by Eothas. Whatever is salvaged after that calamity is sold to get you a ship. 
So some of the items might pop up later in the game, since they were sold and still exists somewhere. Most other items aren't coming over.

Well, there has been some info from OE on this matter. First of all, almost no items will transfer with your watcher. A few minor "novelty" items may crossover. But none of your big items and certainly not your soulbound stuff. At the start of PoE 2 all that stuff is in Caed Nua's armory, which is destroyed by Eothas. Whatever is salvaged after that calamity is sold to get you a ship. 

So some of the items might pop up later in the game, since they were sold and still exists somewhere. Most other items aren't coming over.

I hope they can find my secret svef stash. I cant adventure without that stuff.

• Like 3

I don't like items carrying over when we're mostly starting from scratch but choices carrying over is an awesome thing IMO. I can see how that can put off people from f.i. replaying ME2; I myself had to replay ME1 to see particular outcomes of combination of choices. On the other hand CDPR ignored/streamlined choices with W3, which caused W2 to lose its charm for the sake of W3 being standalone, W2 as a game became meaningless to me which I loved before.

All that said, it won't be much of an issue as we'll be able set up Pillars 1 choices in character creation of Deadfire.

The important thing is player transfer and returning companions.

This.

• Like 3

Just from curiosity, what interaction between ME1&ME2 are you talking about? It has been a while since I played it so it might have slipped my mind. I remember there were some small story related transfers (did you sacrifice humans or council, some small emails/references to previous games).

As far as the story in concerned I am a big believer in having choices in previous game being reflected in later installments. If it is not a continues story, then make a different game. Or at least new character. As it is a direct sequel to the Watcher's story, I do want the first game to have some effect on the sequel.

So, anyway who has played the entirety of Pillars of Eternity 1 knows that by the end of the game you have some pretty serious weapons and armor on hand. Especially if you played White March.

The question of the hour is, what will become of some of these items?

The Hammer of Abydon especially because this weapon was very important.

I would hope that we either get this items back at some point, and not that 'oh they were destroyed with your strong hold'

That'd be kind of a lame excuse.

Not to mention, if returning companions had Soulbound items, will they still have them?

That would be a nice bonus.

On the topic of the Hammer of Abydon, and the end of The White March Part 1, Do you think the Church of Abydon might view your character as some sort of Saint like figure if you restore Abydon.

I am pretty sure the answer is no, they won't be transferred. Whenever they will be destroyed, or stolen and reappear later in the game, or if they will have their essence sucked out of them I think we can safely assume that you will be lvl 1, and you will be stripped of any equipment you had. It is just a nature of RPGs. And it is a good thing. Once I used the exploit at the beginning of Baldur's Gate 2, to save my favourite gear from Baldur's Gate 1. Yeah, it was nice to see those items back, but they completely broke half of the game. It is no fun when you are overpowered.

• Like 1

On the other hand CDPR ignored/streamlined choices with W3, which caused W2 to lose its charm for the sake of W3 being standalone, W2 as a game became meaningless to me which I loved before.

oh, you just reminded me. As wonderful as W3 was, I never got over that they just ignored the fact that I spared and released Saskia from Filippa's influence. That was a bummer.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

This came up in another thread sort of and I will say the same thing here.

Clearly you won't have any of your gear, you almost died, your keep was destroyed.  Eothas probably soul sucked everything near by, so there is RP justification to say those soulbound weapons WERE permanently destroyed.  However.... the new game+ method Obsidian is working on is "options" based, so it is possible there might be options to keep some equipment you had on your import save etc. 

The main thing to remember is that this isn't really a big deal.  If the game is good, fun to play, and the story engrossing everyone will gloss over losing equipment fairly quickly.  I give Witcher 3 as an example.  None of your equipment from Witcher 2 transfers, none of it.  And unlike Eternity there is absolutely no in game justification to explain why, you just don't have it anymore.  People were having so much fun playing though, they didn't care.

• Like 4

On the other hand CDPR ignored/streamlined choices with W3, which caused W2 to lose its charm for the sake of W3 being standalone, W2 as a game became meaningless to me which I loved before.

oh, you just reminded me. As wonderful as W3 was, I never got over that they just ignored the fact that I spared and released Saskia from Filippa's influence. That was a bummer.

Yeah I didn't like how Roche, who was never a big deal in my playthrough of W2, gets foisted on me like some old friend whereas Iorveth ma bro never appears.  I mean, do they ever even mention what happened with the Pontar Valley in W3 if you freed it in W2?  Are they conquered and destroyed by Nilfgard or Redania?  Do they become a puppet state like Temeria can become?  Do they just get ignored by all sides?  A mention would have been nice...

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Sailing high on the high seas? 

Someone should make a song about that one! :D

Who cares about objects when you start a new game anyway? As if there are not going to be new ones. The important thing is player transfer and returning companions. Transfering itemts is meh, imo, aside the part that you'd way overpowered. I don't even remeber what items I had at the end :p

Exactly, getting married to your character's equipment isn't something I'd consider overly healthy ^^

Just from curiosity, what interaction between ME1&ME2 are you talking about? It has been a while since I played it so it might have slipped my mind. I remember there were some small story related transfers (did you sacrifice humans or council, some small emails/references to previous games).

As far as the story in concerned I am a big believer in having choices in previous game being reflected in later installments. If it is not a continues story, then make a different game. Or at least new character. As it is a direct sequel to the Watcher's story, I do want the first game to have some effect on the sequel.

Just about everything; getting those extra starting levels always felt nice since I could start throwing off cool abilities earlier, and ME2 is the type of game you want to experiment with in terms of story, so you'll want to get that renegade save from ME1 to store your renegade decisions for your renegade ME2 Shepard. Not to mention the importance I personally place on continuity in such a game, which effectively renders me unable to just reroll my Shepard's class and appearance and still fully enjoy the game. Editing the save-game files on the other hand makes me feel dirty and would nag on me every time I look at the character, again rendering me incapable of getting immersed into the experience.

• Like 2

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Sailing high on the high seas? 

Someone should make a song about that one! :D

Exactly, getting married to your character's equipment isn't something I'd consider overly healthy ^^

Just about everything; getting those extra starting levels always felt nice since I could start throwing off cool abilities earlier, and ME2 is the type of game you want to experiment with in terms of story, so you'll want to get that renegade save from ME1 to store your renegade decisions for your renegade ME2 Shepard. Not to mention the importance I personally place on continuity in such a game, which effectively renders me unable to just reroll my Shepard's class and appearance and still fully enjoy the game. Editing the save-game files on the other hand makes me feel dirty and would nag on me every time I look at the character, again rendering me incapable of getting immersed into the experience.

I see. In ME I was always a strong paragon guy and had no interest of doing renegade playthrough. I always make a backup of my saves, so I have never run into an issue of not having a valid save for ME2.

The good news for PoE2 is that it shouldn't be an issue. In one of the streams Josh mentioned that you will be able to either import your save, or start new character and decide what choices were made in previous game. If I understood it correctly that means you can do second playthrough and see different outcomes without having to replay PoE1.