Classes that can achieve The Ultimate in current game?

There are quite a few posts of classes that have done TCS, a couple achieving The Ultimate, but most are outdated, like I'm guessing Priests and Iconic Projection not being as viable anymore.

Could anyone kindly direct me towards which classes can make it, and a general build to aim for please? With PoE2 coming, I wanted to finally get this achievement, but I want to make sure I can finish it once I start.

It seems Paladins and Wizards are fine, and maybe Priests, but if I can be assured on other classes making it against the toughest fights, I'm more than happy to try them as well.

Thank you for any help.

The easyest and safer is a wild Orlan Chanter focus with Swift Wind of death until lvl 9 and dragon trashed After. 16+ str, 16+ con, 16+ int, dump dex. Pick all defensive talents, a good shield and try to put yourself in a corner during fights. Try to kill all' the boss After you get ryona brestplate. Drink llengrath potion in thoug fights. You will never run out of spell, you will need to rest only when your health is about 50% for safety reason, you can pick the running chant + fast runner if you want a safer start. All' fights will be the same strategy: survive until everything burn down. No enemy is immune to both Fire & slash, you can kill everything and actually also pretty fast. Ti summarize: you will end up with paladin like defences but with the best ( and unlimited) aoe DMG spell of the game, so the many fight "One vs the horde" will not be boring like playing paladin

Edited by Dr <3
  • Like 2

Thank you for the reply!

That Chanter sounds like something fun I'd like to try - I've been doing some research and I'm still a bit undecided between Priest / Wizard / Chanter right now for Ultimate, since most seem to have been done with a Paladin(although I saw a Monk and Ranger on Steam forums). Would they all be able to do all the fights necessary?

Chanter-wise, I was looking at the build above, as well as https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86968-class-build-chillfog-cool-soothing-chanter-tank/ & http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89315-class-build-the-gunslinger-potd-solo-guns-only-chanter/

Priest, http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89190-class-build-the-unfaithful-solo-priest-potd-strategies/ &  http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86277-class-build-fire-priest-ranged-sup-offdps/ 

Wizard, pretty much this http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88227-class-build-solo-ice-wizard-coldhearth/ 

I guess what I'm asking is, would all / any of these have a shot at Ultimate, or are there adjustments they need to be useable (or other suggestions if they're not viable). 

Thanks again for any help.

Edited by Styi

The one you are looking for is the Drake's Ambassador build (also in the build list) with a few adjustments.

The Chillfog build can be played the same until you get the Mercy & Kindness chant.

Note that Dragon Thrashed and some other chants and invocations get +12 ACC if you wear a single one handed weapon. So if you have problems with missing just start to kite and switch to a single one handed weapon.

Chanters don't stop chanting when they are prone. A great way to ensure survival when meeting enemies with knockdown abilities is to use a preservation item (like Blaidh Golan) + preservation shield (like Ilfan Byrngar's Solace). Both will stack, giving you +100 to all defenses while stunned or prone. While prone, you will still do damage.

Scion of Flame does not(!) work with DoTs like Dragon Thrashed.

The phantom makes the early game easy.

White Worms is perfect for big areas with a ton of enemies and lots of choke points (see Raedric's Castle). Turn off gib options and pile up bodies in a doorway. Corpses explode unlimited times. If you pile up enough corpses without resting and reloading you will one-shot Raedric and all his minions for example.

Mind Control is strong CC - a reason why Munacra Arrest is great in a solo game.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You should watch videos where people solo the hardest encounters with the class of your choice and see their builds/strategies. (In the builds section there are no builds optimized for solo.)

PS. The priest has very powerful spells but most of them are fire based which means he struggles against enemies resistant/immune to fire. Also because he lacks good CC spells he's very dependent on scrolls.

• Like 1

There are quite a few posts of classes that have done TCS, a couple achieving The Ultimate, but most are outdated, like I'm guessing Priests and Iconic Projection not being as viable anymore.

Could anyone kindly direct me towards which classes can make it, and a general build to aim for please? With PoE2 coming, I wanted to finally get this achievement, but I want to make sure I can finish it once I start.

It seems Paladins and Wizards are fine, and maybe Priests, but if I can be assured on other classes making it against the toughest fights, I'm more than happy to try them as well.

Thank you for any help.

I've never done TCS but I've seen a frost wizard absolutely wreck the game doing it on YouTube. You should watch the videos.

He used the tactic where he used that frost spell called bitter mooring (I think it's called that) and wore boots of speed so he could run away from enemies while it was anchored on them while killing everything in between while at the same time dropping chillfog to slow them down.

Things got nasty when he got the maegfolc skull and abydons hammer (+8 might)

Edited by firkraag888
  • Like 1

The one you are looking for is the Drake's Ambassador build (also in the build list) with a few adjustments.

The Chillfog build can be played the same until you get the Mercy & Kindness chant.

Great to know - thanks. So, if adjusted properly, both the Chillfog and Drake's Ambassador builds would be able to solo all encounters? 

You should watch videos where people solo the hardest encounters with the class of your choice and see their builds/strategies. (In the builds section there are no builds optimized for solo.)

Yeah I have been watching videos(like TodWilkinson's wizard one mentioned above), I just wanted to make sure some build archetypes were still viable with latest patches, as I haven't kept up to date since 2.0+.

Edited by Styi

The Chillfog chanter can be build exactly like the Ambassador build - you just switch the chants basically. But the Chillfog build was mostly done with a party in mind, so maybe I would stay with Dragon Thrashed all the time. I also soloed PoTD with Dragon Thrashed (Ambassador), but not with Mercy & Kindness (Chillfog). I did some PoTD bounties solo with Chillfog and it worked well, but I can't say anything about a "real" solo playthrough when it comes to that build.

Wizard can be really great like firkraag888 said. The good thing is that the wizard has not only one, but several good beam spells. And he can stack movement speed - for example Boots of Speed (+3) and Alacrity (+2) or Fleet Feet (+3) do stack, giving you absurd movement speed which is great for beams - because the wizard's beams have a lot shorter casting range than those of the cipher. But once it's anchored it doesn't matter. The best part may be Kalakoth's Freezing Rake - which is really awesome in solo late game.

Solo priest has the advantage of Triumph of the Crusaders: as long as enemies die he won't need any additional healing. A priest of Berath can work around the whol fire problem, but only at level 8 he will have a good corrosion spell. However, you can use Tidefall with maxed MIG which then does good damage even against high DR foes while Triumph otC keeps you alive. But watch your health. Trashmobs are no problem at all, but the tough bounties like Brynlod and Magran's Faithful are, well... tough. If you make a mistake you will be dead quickly. Too many spells will get dropped on your head and if your defenses are not supergood you're screwed.  

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for all the ideas - right now, I'm leaning towards Wizard or Chanter, and thinking of something along these lines:

[removed build to work on some more]
Edited by Styi

Take veteran recovery at lvl 2, it gives you huge benefits from the beginning to the end. Sword e shield lvl 4. Gallant focus lvl 6 ( in solo is awesome, il +4 accuracy to everything, spell & chants included, much better than weapon focus. Anyway they stack, so you can even take them both.). And at lvl 10 ( After dragon trashed) take cautious attack too. Ancient Memory & weapon focus are quite useless for this build imho.

Two sides notes:

- dragon trashed target reflex ( wich is overall the lower defence usually)

- the ultimate is not about killing fast, but survive more than others.

So i suggest 1000% to take the weapon & shield route, the single weapon gives you +12 accuracy for your chant but you lose up to 30+ to deflecion AND reflex, so is really a bad trade.

Wild Orlan racial is useful vs boss, since all the dragons have fear aura, so is always on.

Against the dragons i also suggest to bear steadfast with you, due your super slow speed cast scroll of protection will make you lose a lot of time, so an auto fear/terror immunity is very useful. Every non used scroll is a llengrath potion/ healing potion/ scroll of valor/ Seven nights.

I would also lower perception to 15 and boost a bit constitition, so you will have a better fortitude.

Edited by Dr <3

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive! 

Do you know if it's possible to do all bounties using your Shadowing Beyond trick?

PS. It would be nice if you could add more timestamps links to your video (for bounties and maybe some tough low level fights)

• Like 1

Impressive! 

Do you know if it's possible to do all bounties using your Shadowing Beyond trick?

PS. It would be nice if you could add more timestamps links to your video (for bounties and maybe some tough low level fights)

1) I've tried to use Shadowing Beyond trick for all bounties, but some of them just seem to be harder than others, I think that is because of the following reasons : Sometimes you just don't have enough space to move around. Also if the enemy you try to pull out is a caster, his aggro check range depends on the attack he tries to trigger, which makes him lose aggro far away from you. So it really depends on what spells is being triggered when you get into combat.  But you can try to do it on the ones I could not pull out properly, maybe you find a consistent way to do it.

2) I've just added timestamps for all the low level fights and bounties.

• Like 1

Impressive! 

1) I've tried to use Shadowing Beyond trick for all bounties, but some of them just seem to be harder than others, I think that is because of the following reasons : Sometimes you just don't have enough space to move around. Also if the enemy you try to pull out is a caster, his aggro check range depends on the attack he tries to trigger, which makes him lose aggro far away from you. So it really depends on what spells is being triggered when you get into combat.  But you can try to do it on the ones I could not pull out properly, maybe you find a consistent way to do it.

2) I've just added timestamps for all the low level fights and bounties.

Nice.

Could you explain your equipment choices? Why are you keeping the Unlabored Blade? 

Nice.

Could you explain your equipment choices? Why are you keeping the Unlabored Blade? 

Helm
- None as I picked up Godlike race.

Tunic
- Äru-Brekr for first part of the run, because I like every move speed boost and I think it is a good trade off between resistance without a losing too much recovery speed
- Blaidh Golan for the dragons fights at the end, because it has a low recovery speed penality and it can save your life if you are locked down in a stun or prone (the DR loss does not make much different on huge dragons hits)

Feet
- Boots of Stealth on the first half of the run when doing stealth moves and Shod in Faith during fights for the healing.
- Boots of Speed, because mobility is essential for a rogue !

Pet
- Concelhaut's skull, is there any other pet that actually does something ? :)

Rings
- Ring of Changing Heart, for its Dominate ability with 2 charges
- Gwyn's Band of Union, because Intellect is my favorite attribute ! Be careful when Instill Doubt triggers, because if you are under Shadowing beyond effect, this will get you out of stealth ! (Same for Shod In Faith)
- The Ring of Wonder, a life (run) saver with Second chance when you play with Trial of Iron :-)

Neck
- Lilith's Shawl, for preception bonus and its faster to get than the Mantle of Excavator

Hands
- Manipulation gloves, when you must disarm traps and open locked chests
- Rotfinger Gloves, definitely my favorite gloves because it gives you a double debuff for Sneak attack and Deathblows (and it spreads around!). Also for the AoE ability which you lack a lot as a rogue !

Waist
- Looped rope, +20 defense on all very annoying attacks is interesting, even more when you drop defensive attributes like I did in this run (Constitution and Resolve)

Weapons set 1
- We Toki, for the prone ability
- Godansthunyr, for the stun ability

Weapons set 2
- Unlabored blade, mainly for its Healing Chain ability (2 charges, that helps healing yourself during fights)
- Steadfast, for a few moves that requires Immunity to Frightened and Terrified

For most of the fights I used the Weapon set 1. The only fight where I switched Godansthunyr with Unlabored blade was against the Alpine Dragon because it is immune to stuns (also the dagger probably have the highest accuracy in the game).

There is also at the begining of the Llengrath fight where I put weapons set 2 on, because it allows me to have 116 accuracy on Dominate so whatever your roll is, it 100% guarantees at least a graze against the Bog Cult Apprentice (he has 100 Will). Also the Steadfast prevents you from being Frightened which could make your accuarcy drop to 106.
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Add me to those, who've done it with a Chanter.

Previously, I've only had Frozen Crown Solo with a Bleak Walkers Paladin in version 3. Quite an obvious class choice to put it that way, but as I've not been much of a solo dragon slayer or kiting king, the Paladin run has been done without killing any dragon.

Afterwards, I've returned to doing party based playthroughs for a long time, paying attention to items that could be helpful for a solo run and creating notes about traps, locks, required skill points and unexpectedly dangerous enemies - Adragans, for example - or encounters that don't stop before all enemies are slain.

Eventually I decided to start another solo run with a Chanter. No idea how far I would come, but with the notes and the experience made with the Paladin, I had a good starting point. Still had to restart from the beginning once and early, because of running out of options at Caed Nua and couldn't afford retraining anymore either.

Surprisingly, it has been almost a "no consumables" run up to level 16 - including all the bounties. Brute force slaughtering and even clearing of some areas, because oh-what-a-fun! I've also used only very few healing potions and enchantments up to that point, but then came the dragons, and of course, I had to evaluate all my options including drugs and item combinations I've never used before.

Total damage done: 131665

Total damage taken: 112432

Total enemies defeated: 3161

Enemies defeated: 2247

Crits: 2733

Hits: 7299

Looks odd, eh?

What surprised me the most is that I could survive each of the three big dragons without kiting, and I'm glad about that because I'm not good at kiting - which also means I haven't done it often before - but didn't see any other option at Mowrghek len. No Fast Runner, no Deep Pockets, no Bear's Fortitude.

Edited by Belfaldurnik
  • Like 2

I started my own ultimate run with a chanter and the class is just absurdly good.

I'm not even level 9 yet (just got to 8 in chapter 2) and this already feels much stronger than a paladin.

Ancient Memory has no limited duration so you can rely on the heal for however long a fight takes contrary to Veteran's recovery that only works for a limited amount of time.

All I need for healing is Vital Essence potions since chanter hp are pretty low and I picked Moon godlike for +1 IN.

The defensive stats of the chanter are not much worse than pala and White worms is insanely fun.

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 1

Add me to those, who've done it with a Chanter.

Previously, I've only had Frozen Crown Solo with a Bleak Walkers Paladin in version 3. Quite an obvious class choice to put it that way, but as I've not been much of a solo dragon slayer or kiting king, the Paladin run has been done without killing any dragon.

Afterwards, I've returned to doing party based playthroughs for a long time, paying attention to items that could be helpful for a solo run and creating notes about traps, locks, required skill points and unexpectedly dangerous enemies - Adragans, for example - or encounters that don't stop before all enemies are slain.

Eventually I decided to start another solo run with a Chanter. No idea how far I would come, but with the notes and the experience made with the Paladin, I had a good starting point. Still had to restart from the beginning once and early, because of running out of options at Caed Nua and couldn't afford retraining anymore either.

Surprisingly, it has been almost a "no consumables" run up to level 16 - including all the bounties. Brute force slaughtering and even clearing of some areas, because oh-what-a-fun! I've also used only very few healing potions and enchantments up to that point, but then came the dragons, and of course, I had to evaluate all my options including drugs and item combinations I've never used before.

Total damage done: 131665

Total damage taken: 112432

Total enemies defeated: 3161

Enemies defeated: 2247

Crits: 2733

Hits: 7299

Looks odd, eh?

What surprised me the most is that I could survive each of the three big dragons without kiting, and I'm glad about that because I'm not good at kiting - which also means I haven't done it often before - but didn't see any other option at Mowrghek len. No Fast Runner, no Deep Pockets, no Bear's Fortitude.

No fat runner, bear fortitude and deep pockets?

​U basically skipped my favorite 3 talents in game :p

Do u mind sharing a bit stats, race, skills, chants, items?

Chanters are prob the class I'm less used to, but god a run like that make me super corious ;)