Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Romance in Deadfire

Pillars 2 Romance Companions Characters Deadfire

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3018 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Have an option to romance the Grieving Mother, and your companions will start making fun of you for having an imaginary girlfriend. :D

I think that happens irl for most promancers anyway.

DrTomT18

DrTomT18

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Steam:dr_tom_t18
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Have an option to romance the Grieving Mother, and your companions will start making fun of you for having an imaginary girlfriend. :D

Shes not 'imaginary', they just see her in as a useless peasant women. Memory is a bit fuzzy but I remember Eder being like 'you mean the old lady? Don't know why you have her following us around but whatever' when you ask him about her.

Either way, it'd be funny.

• Karkarov and Regggler like this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3115 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It always bothered me in Bioware games how quickly the relationships progressed. They usually move from "hi, who might you be?" to "let's go make kissy-faces" in less than a couple dozen lines of dialogue. It always made the relationships feel forced, shallow and cheap. Then again, their decisions for making romances are made in the faceless-men with suitcases department, so it isn't that surprising.

So hell yeah for a more natural and gradually developing relationship.

This is the guys who made Alpha Protocol, they can do a "get it on" relationship well.  I remember in that game you had one Asian lady you worked with from the very beginning whom you could not "romance" until right before the last mission of the game.

• Ninjamestari likes this

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 710 posts

This is the guys who made Alpha Protocol, they can do a "get it on" relationship well.  I remember in that game you had one Asian lady you worked with from the very beginning whom you could not "romance" until right before the last mission of the game.

Then faith +1. Oh wait, that came out wrong :p

• Karkarov likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3208 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I don't see what's the problem with an instant and intense attraction but then again maybe I'm just a floozy. Diff'rent strokes and all that
  • Karkarov, Bill Gates' Son, Rorschach and 1 other like this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't see what's the problem with an instant and intense attraction but then again maybe I'm just a floozy. Diff'rent strokes and all that

Interesting. I have never heard the term "floozy" before.

Anyway, considering that you go into combat and various life-threatening situations with these people, I would think that you would bond with them quite fast. People mistake adrenaline for love and all that.

• Noctoi likes this

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 710 posts

It gets old after you've experienced enough times. If you've never experienced instant attraction, then it can be quite intense and definitely worth experiencing. The problem when it comes to a fictional character though is that it is quite difficult to actually get that reaction out of the player. Giving the player a cheesy response-option to a cheesy "Damn, I just saw you and am already in love" doesn't usually generate player attraction. Quite the opposite really; try to remember Ashley from ME1, and how they tried to hammer in attraction from the very first encounter while failing utterly in their attempts at subtlety. I'm not going to even talk about Liara.

Attraction doesn't form naturally if you try too hard to force it, which is why a gradual relationship is so much easier to do properly in a game. Not to mention that a gradually growing more deeper affection is so much more satisfying, both in gaming and in real life. When you get enough instant gratification, it starts to feel disgusting.

basic_hitler

basic_hitler

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I know that Obsidian is three or four steps above Bioware in their ability to write a story or make a game but I would hope that any romance or deep companion relationships are handled with restraint and open disdain for the types of 'shippers and other fanfic writers out there. I frankly find the obsession that Bioware fans have over who they can romance to be kind of creepy and Bioware's dedication to administering a thick enema of fan service to these weirdos was the first sign of a problem with the company, and I absolutely don't want anything close to a Bioware type romance in this game.

I know Obsidian is way better than that, as I've said, I just really want to say it out loud.

The way Witcher 3 handled romance between Triss and Yennifer is closer to something I would consider reasonable and maybe even desirable, since even the goofy elements of witcher 3 are far more developed and mature than bioware fanfic romance shlock, and even if you don't like W3 romance, it's not like that stuff made the game worse by being a part of it.

That's the best I can hope for PoE2 romance options, that it doesn't cheapen the game by having it. PoE1 is a really strong game with interesting and sympathetic sidekicks and it was actually refreshing for hunks like Eder to JUST be companions.

• TragedienneOfHeavens likes this

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 710 posts

It's not quite that clear cut; Bioware has superior storytelling in the technical sense; pacing, plot, overall design in mood changes, Bioware does all of those things better than Obsidian. A lot better. Obsidian's strength is in their own unique style, their stories connect with both the world and the player in a much deeper way than Bioware has ever managed to do. Bioware has created a formula and perfected their skills in utilizing it to the point when they can just engineer engaging stories. What they've lost in the process is the soul and the artistic vision though, while Obsidian still has those in spades. There's a lot for Obsidian to learn, but the difference is that while Obsidian can learn the raw proficiency Bioware has, the artistic integrity and vision Obsidian has is something that can't just be duplicated.

To simplify, Bioware is the superior craftsman, but Obsidian has access to better raw materials.

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Bioware has done several relationships very well though. Garrus, Thane, Solas, and Jack were all handled with a great arc with modern Bioware. Most of the romances are quite schlocky true, however that doesn't mean that there isn't some great ones in there.

Moving on, I can say there are only a few games that I've encountered that have handled romance well. I'm more than a bit of a sappy person at heart, and adore seeing a well done romance story. The problem is that games are designed to gratify and empower the mc. Thus, games romances will often come across as pandering, weirdly controlling, or extremely one sided. The LI aren't allowed to have their own problems that can't be solved without the mc, leading toward a dominance in the relationship, and creating an strange plotting dissonance. Games like Katawa Shoujo, Baldurs Gate, and Dragon Age are great examples of this. 

Other games will treat the romance arc as a reward for the player, meant to just gratify and pander the player. Persona, Heavy Rain, and Uncharted all do this. What we get from this is a pretty squicky situation, that just ends up feeling gross.

So, what games have I enjoyed in the romance aspect. The Darkness does a great job of setting up the relationship between Jenny and Jackie, allowing for heartbreak later down the line.  To The Moon focuses on the little moments in a relationship, and goes beyond the standard vows of love. Hatoful Boyfriend has a concept that is too ridiculous to truly take seriously, allowing the game to invest into its own style of pathos. 

There is once last example of gaming romance that I'd like to mention, and incidentally it's from a crpg! Theres a mod for BG2 that I'd reccomend to anyone that can get past its premise. The Imoen Romance Mod is utterly enthralling, and a surprisngly well done romance. Apart from just adding a done of depth to the lackluster Imoen, it adds several new routes to her character. The romance is drawn out through the entire campaign, with multiple conflicts during the relationship. She will end it with you if you pressure her too much, and will argue with you on the morality of the relationship. Both of you can influence each other during the arc, changing the alignments and abilities. It truly is the best romance I've found in games, and would heartily approve of it to those who want to check it out.

• Ninjamestari and TragedienneOfHeavens like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Uncharted is pandering? Drake and Elena is the best relationship I've ever seen done in a game. It's not even a romance that the player pursues, it's static character writing and it's really well done.

• Noctoi likes this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Uncharted is pandering? Drake and Elena is the best relationship I've ever seen done in a game. It's not even a romance that the player pursues, it's static character writing and it's really well done.

That might be more of a "me" thing. I honestly detested those games. Would have made a great movie, just not a good gameplay experiance. That goes for all Naughty Dog games really, awesome stories that don't link into gameplay at all.

• TragedienneOfHeavens likes this

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 710 posts

Hah, if I didn't know that I'm never going to play BG2 again, I might give that mod a try. Imoen was the only character I *wanted* to explore romantic options with in the entire series. All the other characters were like "oh, and which romance arc should I pick...", while Imoen was actually a character I felt genuine affection for.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pillars 2, Romance, Companions, Characters, Deadfire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users