So in one of the Dev Updates, #13 I believe, we were told that there would be deeper companion relationships in Deadfire than in PIllars 1, and that we could forge friendships, rivalries, and even love!

My question is, by love, do you think they mean actual romance like kissy-kissy, or just a very close friendship.

On that note, of the companions (and possibly side kicks?) we know about, who would you like to be romancable?

Pallegina would be my first pick because shes a really great character.

• Like 1

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

I think they are saying that companionships could entail any sort of relationship that the human landscape is known for. Love being one that they might craft between two particular companions. How that romance is depicted is not clear, and we know Obsidian is more for writing characters with autonomy rather than making characters into love gimps which reflect the desires of the player character.

Unfortunately, your love for Pallegina might not be reciprocated. I wouldn't put too much stock into anything, because non-romantic relationships are practically guaranteed to outnumber the romantic ones. Which is a good thing imo.

• Like 5

I think they kept it vague to fuel donations and speculation on the forums. Ydwin and Xoti are waifubait and that Godlike chanter is husbando material straight out of a romance novel.

On that note, of the companions (and possibly side kicks?) we know about, who would you like to be romancable?

The one eyed kraken.
  • Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think they kept it vague to fuel donations and speculation on the forums. Ydwin and Xoti are waifubait and that Godlike chanter is husbando material straight out of a romance novel.

Yeah. Kind of hoping they'd blue ball us. Well other than Xoder/Eoti.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 2

They should run a fan contest to write a romance short story based in Eora. The winner gets their story published within the game lore, along with proper credits, &c.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's hard to say at this point...

I think the gaming community has been misguided when using the term "Love" and "Romance". The gaming community seems to be the only community that cannot tell the difference of love and a brief sexual emcounter.

Josh Sawyer answered the question "Will there be romances in the game?" On his Tumblr page.

And he answered back with something close to "Every companion will be able to be romanced" (not his exact words so don't quote me but close enough).

Here's the thing, I know Josh Sawyer is the kind of person who is likely to relate love to friendship and family and romance to mystery rather than love. He tends to think against the grain and that reasoning is because like I said before, this generation of gamers cannot tell the difference of love for friends and sexual love. They'll automatically relate the word roamance in a game to the inage of a 10 second cut-scene with nudity and some cheesey dialogue options like"We'll bang okay?" Thanks to Bioware's horrid romance shaping in the industry and Visual Novels being played by hormone-raging teens.

My opinion: it's not going to be the type of romance that most people think. It's going to be the type of romance that MAKES people think.... because that's what Josh Sawyer does.

I hope that Obsidian shows players that love should never be put in a box, nor should it be mocked and made lightly of. The youth are being confused by the media as it is and Obsidian can take advantage of creating some great story here which shatters the usual Bioware stereotypes of love in modern games.

• Like 3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

To answer OP: Nah, I think we might get some very light romantic moments, but not full Mass Effect sex scenes.

My 2 cents: The problem with romance/sex in games is that it generally doesn't add anything mechanically. Games like Vampire Bloodlines work because successful romance leads to a mechanical benefit (ie you can suck blood outta them). Okay, sleeping with hookers in PoE1 granted some bonuses, but that's pretty weak IMHO. (Near the end of PoE development, the strategy to make anything relevant seems to have been "add rest bonuses!")

Okay as tempting as being a spoil sport and making some joke is.... I will try to actually answer the OP.

So which would I like to be romance-able?  Easy, the ones that makes logical sense.

In my opinion that would be.... drum roll....

Eder (fangirls the world over swoon)
Xoti
Pallegina (depending heavily on her political situation)
Aloth (also depending heavily on his personal.... issues)
and maybe the Godlike guy whose name I can't remember.

Side Kicks?  None, side kicks won't get all the cool stuff full companions do so being a sidekick auto eliminates you from this competition.  Even if Ydwin somehow goes full companion (not seeing it at the current finding rate), I would still not name her as she doesn't seem to be that kind of character.

And yeah, obviously you can get hot and nasty with the one eyed Kraken.  That is a given.

Okay as tempting as being a spoil sport and making some joke is.... I will try to actually answer the OP.

And yeah, obviously you can get hot and nasty with the one eyed Kraken.  That is a given.

Good thing you held yourself back and didn't make a joke there ;)

• Like 1

Just a thought for all those who want to bed Pallegina: Josh Sawyer is writing the character.  That means that when she confesses her undying love for you, when it describes her lying you down and having her way with you, that is Josh Sawyer thinking that up and writing it down, describing your favourite sexual fetishes.  You could say that he is cybering with you, and anyone who announces that they romanced Pallegina and enjoyed, he knows what they did. :alienani:

Just wanted to put the image of Pallegina with Josh Sawyer's face in your head.  For my amusement. :devil:

• Like 8

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Just a thought for all those who want to bed Pallegina: Josh Sawyer is writing the character.  That means that when she confesses her undying love for you, when it describes her lying you down and having her way with you, that is Josh Sawyer thinking that up and writing it down, describing your favourite sexual fetishes.  You could say that he is cybering with you, and anyone who announces that they romanced Pallegina and enjoyed, he knows what they did. :alienani:

Just wanted to put the image of Pallegina with Josh Sawyer's face in your head.  For my amusement. :devil:

Are you implying that this isn't what we want? Have you SEEN the valentines day video?

• Like 8

It was a great Valentine's Day video!

I always love that it opens with "I said relationships... it's probably a bit more broad than you were thinking. I think it would be better if I talked to you about it over there" ditching the romantic picnic and emulating the feeling of shooting down the watcher from a budding romance. It's almost as if Josh is saying "Don't be creepy now" or perhaps "Hold those hormones" lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Are you implying that this isn't what we want? Have you SEEN the valentines day video?

Omigod you are right!  Omigod I wanted to romance him after that video too!!! :unsure:

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Damn. You have discovered my horrible secret.

• Like 1

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

Holy Terra, thats actually a really good picture.

10/10 Good job m80

• Like 1

Flintlock, I just want to let you know.  This is absolutely your fault.

33580137501_5c2a794b1e_o.png

Oh dear sweet Jesus mother of Mary, what have I done?  (Bloody good pic though!  Works worryingly well!)

And now we wait

Ah, the waiting game.  I am sure we will know, from the screams that will echo across the world...

• Like 2

That picture  :w00t:

If there are some kind of "romances" take a look:

Eder and Aloth -- a lot of fan fiction contain them as a love interest (mostly for female Watcher) so no doubt there will be something. They both have Valentine in update.

Pallegina -- I see her only for Godlike Watcher but some people wanted her regardless of it. She has Valentine in update.

Xoti - I think she has good chance for some kind of love theme because of "normal boring human". In case of Pallegina not being available her chances would be higher.

Maia Rua -- well, big yellow sister with a bird could not be interested in "romance" with non-aumaua. Or at all. 

Serafen -- wild orlan pirate and slave. No, I do not suggest BDSM theme here  :shifty:.

Tekehu -- Godlike aumaua, probably Ondra's one. Well, he has his Valentine in update and looks like male Asari  :p Perfect for some (tragic) love theme.