Armory questions

KungfuBunnyfufu

Question

So sometimes when I enter quest mode, it will open without any characters slotted. When this happens, I drop in the characters I want and proceed to the map. If I then go to the deck menu (before entering a scenario) I will get what I can best describe as an armory (my name) of all of the basic cards. I think this was intended for new characters, but it is very unreliable trying to access the armory. For example, if I have a party, and replace them with a level 1 new character, i do not automatically get the armory. I have so many questions about this aspect of the game and i can't find any information. Could someone please link a forum or page that explains how the armory works?

Here are some of my questions:

What trigger is used to open the armory reliably? I can close the game entirely, reopen it, and sometimes access it. I can enter story mode and go back to quests and sometimes get it. I can enter the vault, then return to quests and sometimes get it. But never consistently.

The basic cards listed stack. Is there a finite number of them like treasure cards?

If I de-equip a basic card after a scenario in favor of a newly acquired card, does that basic card get returned to the armory or destroyed?

How do I increase the number of cards in the armory? Is that even possible?

7 answers to this question

The "Armory" you see is part of the character creation process.  Per the tabletop rules, new characters are allowed to pick from any of the B-Deck Basic cards to create their starting deck.  The app gives new characters a "suggested" starting deck that you may modify a little bit to suit your play style.    

> What trigger is used to open the armory reliably?

Story Mode: New characters that have not yet played their first scenario may access the basic list through the "Manage Decks" button on the world screen.

Quest Mode: All characters may access the basic list through the "Manage Decks" button on the world screen. Bug?   :shrugz:

All Modes: If a character finishes a scenario and there are not enough cards in their deck to build a valid deck, they are allowed to select Basic cards, or cards two or more adventure decks below their level to rebuild their deck.    

> The basic cards listed stack. Is there a finite number of them like treasure cards?

Yes.  Finite within that party.  Each party has their own finite vault that characters share access to.  However, if you move characters between parties, it is possible to have more of a particular card than is normally found in the game.  

> If I de-equip a basic card after a scenario in favor of a newly acquired card, does that basic card get returned to the armory or destroyed?

Any card your party doesn't currently possess essentially returns to the game "vault" and may be encountered again.  The only things that may be "lost" are the loot cards you receive after beating a scenario.  

> How do I increase the number of cards in the armory? Is that even possible?

No. You generally only have access to the basic decks.  The only way to search through a wider vault is to banish more cards than you have acquired during a scenario.  Then you will be granted access to the post-game deck-repair screen noted above.

---

And, of course, Hannibal beats me by a couple minutes once again... Forum ninjas everywhere!   :p

• Like 1

It should be possible with new group with new characters before the first scenario... and only then.

But, if you run out of some card type (your party needs for example 10 allies all together and you only have 8 allies, the game opens the vault, so you can fill the planks.

It is possible that character 1 has only 2 spells and he need 3, but someone else in the croup has extra spells, you have to use those and do not get vault trip.

• Like 1

Thank you ethics gradient! That was very informative. Just one follow-up question on the last question. What I meant was, does the shared deck of basic cards have a fixed number of each card? Or if I acquire, for example, a spear while questing, and I add that to the armory after the quest, can I increase the maximum number available to my parties? Or is there some other way to increase available cards?

Thank you again for your time and help. Happy gaming!

Edited by KungfuBunnyfufu

The vault is dynamic. There Are some rules how to manipulate your vault.

There Are some cards that have fixed value/amount in the vault. Most other has flexible value/amount.

When you put card back to the vault it does not change the vault directly unless that was one of those fixed cards.

Here Are some clues

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/90840-the-vault-and-extra-characters/

• Like 1

Thank you ethics gradient! That was very informative. Just one follow-up question on the last question. What I meant was, does the shared deck of basic cards have a fixed number of each card? Or if I acquire, for example, a spear while questing, and I add that to the armory after the quest, can I increase the maximum number available to my parties? Or is there some other way to increase available cards?

The way the app handles cards in the game is understandably hard to follow unless you have played the tabletop version first.  Everything makes a lot more sense after setting up a few games by hand.

The game is governed by pre-set deck lists.  Just like tabletop, there is a fixed number of cards in Deck B, AD1, AD2, etc...  If, for example, your party already has two Longswords, they won't encounter any more because you have all of them.  Outside of an active game, cards exist in one of two places:

Character Decks - The cards your characters use during a scenario and keep between games.

The Vault - All the cards that the game has available for play per the deck lists, other than those in the current party's Character Decks.

If you encounter a card and chose not to keep it after the scenario, it isn't added to a stash or armory.  Those cards just simply return to the vault to be dealt out again later.

However, these limits are set per party save, so if you're really set on having more Longswords, there is nothing stopping you from creating a new party with new characters and trading people and/or cards.  The game won't mind if you find a way to have twice as many Longswords as you are normally supposed to.

---

Hannibal beats me again.   Must.  Type.  Faster.   :p

Edited by Ethics Gradient

> The basic cards listed stack. Is there a finite number of them like treasure cards?

Yes.  Finite within that party.  Each party has their own finite vault that characters share access to.  However, if you move characters between parties, it is possible to have more of a particular card than is normally found in the game.  

> If I de-equip a basic card after a scenario in favor of a newly acquired card, does that basic card get returned to the armory or destroyed?

Any card your party doesn't currently possess essentially returns to the game "vault" and may be encountered again.  The only things that may be "lost" are the loot cards you receive after beating a scenario. 

The rules listed by Ethics are generally valid for *all* cards, not just Basics. However, in the app, there is one exception:

In Story Mode, if the scenario reward is Loot , and your party has more characters than there are Loot cards - some of your characters will be rewarded with pre-determined non-Loot cards, and that would allow you to hold extra copies of those cards.

(Example: normally, there is a single Hide Armor of Fire Resistance in the game (= in your Vault). However, even if your party already owns that card, in some scenarios Amiri will be rewarded with a SECOND instance of it, as it's her pre-determined non-Loot card. This is dissimilar to the board game -which obviously cannot just spawn another physical card out of nowhere- but I believe t was confirmed as a conscious design decision for the app)

In the above situation, the game will allow you to keep the extra copy in your party's decks. If you do NOT keep it, however, this extra copy is lost forever.

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.