I had a thought a while ago regarding Godlikes in the Pillars of Eternity universe.

We have seen Godlikes of Fire (Magran), Death (Rymgand), Avian (Hylea), Moon (Ondra), and Nature (Galawain)

My question is, do the other Gods have Godlikes out there somewhere in the world we have not seen?

For insistence, would a Godlike of Abydon be a baby made entirely out of metal? or perhaps a Godlike of Eothas would glow brightly at all times. Maybe even a Godlike of Weal, whose appearance changes everyday to a random race and gender.

Perhaps not all Gods have a Godlike because their domain is to broad to really have one exist. Or the God in question doesn't want to make them. (I would imagine Skaen wouldn't have kids), and Woedica doesn't have the power to.

I know we most likely never will see these other Godlikes in-game (if they even exist) but am curious to the idea of them.

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

I suspect the team was likely constrained by their budget, so they could only create enough art and models for a limited set of Godlikes. Perhaps we'll see more in PoE2?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think Josh Sawyer answered a similar question in the most recent Q&A...

Somebody asked "Will there be more types of godlikes in Deadfire?"

To which Josh replied "No, because insanely hard to create, even though the artist loves doing it"

I'm not sure if it was about playable race or npc's. I have tosay, your question is a good one.

I think godlikes are a pretty intriguing part of pillars' world. I'm glad that this is an original race for the game.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Presumably those other Godlikes do exist, but are just not playable races at this stage.

A minor correction, I believe that Death Godlike come from Berath, not Rymgand.

Rymgand's domains include cold, winter and entropy, so I imagine he would spawn an Ice Godlike.

It's indeed difficult to imagine Godlike for some of the others. You'd think that if Woedica could make them, the game's primary antagonist would be one.

• Like 2

You'd think that if Woedica could make them, the game's primary antagonist would be one.

Well, he does predate her, so not clearly not originally, but he may have come back that way in various incarnations throughout history.

Besides that, the antagonist probably prefers forms that stand out less given his interest avoiding the notice of the world at large.

In regards to the broader subject, there may or may not be godlikes for every god out there. Like you said, it may not thematically fit some of them and others may find that it doesn't serve their interests, though the latter assumes that the emergence of associated godlike "breeds" is something that occurs through the gods' volition. Someone (GreenDragon, I think, but I don't remember the numeric combination at the end of the name and don't feel like slogging through whichever thread the original post was in, sorry) presented a counter-theory which posits that godlike may occur as gods "shed" bits of themselves over time and those bits of divine energy merge with the unborn souls of kith.

Still, it's not difficult to imagine that the nature of gods could cause their influence, voluntary or otherwise, to manifest in other ways than the birth of strange creatures. Perhaps the closest thing that Abydon has to goldike are the rare, inspired constructs of his followers, or perhaps even his followers themselves after they remake themselves in his image. Similarly, Skaen and his followers already have the Effigy.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1

Going to post some history here. Back when Eternity 1 was starting, Josh walked into my office and asked me how many Godlike races I could realistically make. I think he mentioned something around 10. I said realistically probably like 5-6. It ended up 4 :|

Reality of game dev. for you.

• Like 21

Going to post some history here. Back when Eternity 1 was starting, Josh walked into my office and asked me how many Godlike races I could realistically make. I think he mentioned something around 10. I said realistically probably like 5-6. It ended up 4 :|

Thank you for the developer comment!

lol, there you go OP. If Dimitri had felt optimistic and said "10" on that day, history would be different ;)

Tfw Lead Character Artist Senpai notices you

It is a good feel

• Like 1

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

Are there are more in the new game now that you have more time and resources?