Serious Fighters vs Anime/Waifu Fighters

I have to be honest, I quit playing all the serious fighters like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur and Steet Fighter games.

I've seemed to have moved on to anime fighters. At 30 years of age, I'm playing games with waifu's jumping around all over each other. My wife comes into the computer room and gives me strange looks at times because she is not a fan of anime or the message that it conveys to the young audience which I can understand but anime fighters are addictive. That's where it's at now... I've become "that guy".

NOTE: Keep in mind that I'm not really into anime, waifus, visual novels, hentai, dating sims or anything like that so this was a strange thing for me to get into it. It's still surprises me if I am to be completely honest.

Here's a list of some good ones available on Steam (in my opinion):

Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!

Melty Blood Current Code Accent+

Chaos Code - New Sign Of Catastrophe

Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel

Do you play fighting games? If so, which ones?

Do you have any fond memories of older fighting games that you've played growing up?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I have good memories of Tekken & Street Fighter (yeah, pretty standard). Even Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter had their moments.

I’m looking forward to Tekken 7 coming out in June, but at the same time, I’m starting to feel terribly jaded about most of these series, simply because each iteration doesn’t really seem to add much. In fact, sometimes they go backwards! (Tekken 6: all I wanted was a normal story mode, and you screwed that up) I guess that compared to other genres, fighters haven’t really evolved much over the years. All developers seem to do to them nowadays is add silly items to customize your characters.

I haven’t really played any waifu fighters. But I’m sorry that your real waifu doesn’t understand ;)

Edited by Heijoushin

I have good memories of Tekken & Street Fighter (yeah, pretty standard). Even Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter had their moments.

I’m looking forward to Tekken 7 coming out in June, but at the same time, I’m starting to feel terribly jaded about most of these series, simply because each iteration doesn’t really seem to add much. In fact, sometimes they go backwards! (Tekken 6: all I wanted was a normal story mode, and you screwed that up) I guess that compared to other genres, fighters haven’t really evolved much over the years. All developers seem to do to them nowadays is add silly items to customize your characters.

I haven’t really played any waifu fighters. But I’m sorry that your real waifu doesn’t understand ;)

That's exactly how I feel about Soul Calibur! They really seem to go backwards, it must be a Namco thing lol Soul Blade and Soul Calibur 1 and 2 were all perfect and then after that, things started getting weird. The last one was horrid from what I heard so I didn't even bother to play it.

I'll try out Tekken 7 just for the heck of it. I'm hoping it does well. Net codes seem to be a cause of some games going bad too. So hopefully they nail that.

Street Fighter ticks me off the most, I can't stand by a game that (in my opinion) has such a weird art style. I'm a huge fan of 2D sprites.

Thanks, the real waifu only apporves of Zelda and D&D lol

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Tekken 7 is all I need.

I always preferred SNK to Capcom games. Although SF 3rd Strike was great. I still loved me some Mark of the Wolves though.

Soul Caliber is fun every once in a while

I've grown out of MK. It is too clunky feeling with a dedicated block button vs the back button. However, I did like Injustice.

DOA is meh with a side of cleavage.

All the other games like Guilty Gear, Blaze Blue, etc... Never really grabbed me. They arent bad though.

• Like 1

Mortal Kombat die hard fan here

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I grow up with Street Fighter II/Alpha series and Virtua Fighter/Fighting Vipers on the system I own, then played a bit on then friends' systems other fighting games such as the DBZ games, Soulcalibur, DOA, Capcom vs SNK...

Later I got my hands on other capcom 2D titles (during the CPS-CPS2-32bits era), and liked the Darkstalkers/Vampire series.

But in the end, those I liked the most are the SNK titles (or originally released on NeoGeo), Fatal Fury series (love Gary Densetsu Special - the NeoGeo/Saturn one, not really the Playstation one), World Heroes series, Samurai Shodown/Spirits series and the Last Blade series. Like the KoF series but not as much as the other SNK series.

Sadly, my friends now like better 'casual' fighting games (like Smash Bros series) or don't even want to think about older games because... they're 'old'. :(

While I'm not interested in new fighting games...

• Like 1

I thought Skullgirls was pretty fun.  And the Persona 4 Arena games.

I used to be heavily into fighting games - Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Dark Stalkers, Eternal Champions, Soul Blade/Edge/Calibur in particular.  But I also liked KoF and Guilty Gear.  I have some BlazBlue games I've never actually played.  Awkward.  There were a lot of fighting games I played at the arcades simply because the SFII or MK cabinets were busy (like World Heroes or Martial Champion or some others I've forgotten).

Soul Calibur really went down-hill in my opinion.  Each iteration seems to remove features and options. DoA lost me at some point after #2 (I remember thinking the 2nd game actually was a decent fighter regardless of what you thought of the jiggle-physics).

Never really got into VirtuaFighter or Tekken.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I used to be heavily into fighting games - Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Dark Stalkers, Eternal Champions, Soul Blade/Edge/Calibur in particular.  But I also liked KoF and Guilty Gear.  I have some BlazBlue games I've never actually played.  Awkward.  There were a lot of fighting games I played at the arcades simply because the SFII or MK cabinets were busy (like World Heroes or Martial Champion or some others I've forgotten).

Soul Calibur really went down-hill in my opinion.  Each iteration seems to remove features and options. DoA lost me at some point after #2 (I remember thinking the 2nd game actually was a decent fighter regardless of what you thought of the jiggle-physics).

I have Skullgirls on Steam. I forgot to list that one. It's a pretty cool game. I love Valentine!

The last fighting game I played and really enjoyed was Killer Instinct (the console verions, not the arcade one, although I miss arcades, nostalgia mostly). Everything that came afterwards no longer held my interest.

There's also this really massive divide of game design and actual playing that makes me cringe with fighting games these days. The game designers do their damnedest to include 26 different moves per character and players are fighting each other with nothing but low kicks or short jump kicks (depending on the game) for fear of being countered.

CCGs have the same issue. I played the Star Wars CCG for a while (as did every other nerd back in school) but we played for fun. Decipher added lots of cards with objectives and nice things to try and  tournament decks generally were a handful of locations, some characters and the rest filled up with interrupts that cancelled the opponent's moves and counter-interrupts that just cancelled your opponents interrupts or events.

But yeah, that's the fossil in me talking. Maybe things changed in the past, what, 20 years now? Woah. *mumbles about getting old*

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I have Skullgirls on Steam. I forgot to list that one. It's a pretty cool game. I love Valentine!

I ended up working best with Painwheel and Pea****.  Pea****'s moves are pretty hilarious, sometimes I'd find myself watching the animation rather than playing the game.  Oops!

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I ended up working best with Painwheel and Pea****.  Pea****'s moves are pretty hilarious, sometimes I'd find myself watching the animation rather than playing the game.  Oops!

Lol I love animations on 2D fighters as well. Especially sprites. I find they're far more fluid than the best 3D motion capture animations which lack a certain something.

Fatal Fury series (love Gary Densetsu Special - the NeoGeo/Saturn one, not really the Playstation one)

I mean Garu Densetsu Real Bout Special of course!

Too bad it had still loadings on Saturn (but absolutely not as bad as NeoGeoCD or Playstation).

Thinking of it, many of fighting games I love have good soundtrack (Fighting Vipers and Real Bout Special for instance).

And about details, I remember that SNK games had way better shadows than Capcom ones.

Capcom ones (from Street Fighter Zero, Marvel Super Heroes... to Vampire Savior, even the almighty SFZ3) only had simple dark disc on the floor as shadow, while the shadows in KoF95+, RB, RBS had full body shadows.

Concerning this, it was a huge disappointment for Capcom games at that time, I thought about the 2D Saturn Dragon Ball Z game (like the SNES DBZ games too).

• Like 1

Man, Fighting Vipers is a game I have not thought about in a long time.  I remember it being fun and liking the music too.

• Like 2

I just looked up Fighting Vipers lol Pretty cool stuff. Reminds me of Criticom and Battle Arena Toshinden!