The art thread

algroth

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who is a fan of Art Nouveau, Alphonse Mucha's Le Pater was reprinted by The Century Guild Museum and Gallery.  A larger more extensive hard bound reprint is forthcoming. 

Unlike his typical poster art, or his magnum opus series of paintings The Slav Epic, Le Pater was created as a printed book.  Since the original only had about 500 copies made of it, its a new opportunity to see the book as it was intended to be seen (as opposed to the various images taken out of the book setting seen reprinted over the years). 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For anyone who is a fan of Art Nouveau, Alphonse Mucha's Le Pater was reprinted by The Century Guild Museum and Gallery.  A larger more extensive hard bound reprint is forthcoming. 

Unlike his typical poster art, or his magnum opus series of paintings The Slav Epic, Le Pater was created as a printed book.  Since the original only had about 500 copies made of it, its a new opportunity to see the book as it was intended to be seen (as opposed to the various images taken out of the book setting seen reprinted over the years). 

Oof, that is lovely. I'd love to get my hands on that.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I guess I'm not at art lover. The only pictures that I liked or at least haven't creeped me out are the two of DC comics characters.

My favorite "art" piece was a painting by Andrew Wyeth that has been re-printed a million times:

456ce04ef42ad0412c0077c3a808cd98.jpg

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I guess I'm not at art lover. The only pictures that I liked or at least haven't creeped me out are the two of DC comics characters.

Even the likes of Friedrich or Achenbach? Either way I guess it's less about art in general and more about my personal tastes for the more esoteric.

Also not sure why you put art in quotation marks above, I'd say Wyeth's work is definitely art whether one loves it or hates it. I don't view the condition of being art as a quality brand more so than a function myself, thus there can be good and bad art, and even art that is awful is still at the end of the day art.

Edited by algroth

Even the likes of Friedrich or Achenbach? Either way I guess it's less about art in general and more about my personal tastes for the more esoteric.

Also not sure why you put art in quotation marks above, I'd say Wyeth's work is definitely art whether one loves it or hates it. I don't view the condition of being art as a quality brand more so than a function myself, thus there can be good and bad art, and even art that is awful is still at the end of the day art.

It is. I guess being mass produced, or reproduced loses some of it's cache I was thinking. I bought a hand painted reproduction of that at a show in West Palm Beach years ago. It's on my bedroom wall now. I also have a copy of Van Gogh's Starry Night. I've always liked that one.

Actually I did like the four you posted from Oswald Achenbach

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There does seem to be a bit of an overload of depressing art in the thread.   :p

You think? There's a couple I'd call depressing (Boltaksi or Berni for example, and I can see how Beksinski can be deemed depressing too even though there is a comedic element to all of his work, however grim it may seem), but for the most part a lot of the art I've posted has a pretty distinct spiritual or transcendent motive to them.

Oof, that is lovely. I'd love to get my hands on that.

Its really nice - I have the smaller softcover they did first; apparently the hardcover is going to have additional writing about the work and photographs (I believe from Mucha's production photos).

003_Le_Pater1.jpg

My favorite "art" piece was a painting by Andrew Wyeth that has been re-printed a million times:

Andrew Wyeth is considered to be a top US artist.  His dad, N. C. Wyeth, is considered to be one of the top US illustrators.  His work on TREASURE ISLAND is legendary.

4731194814_1f45f7a7b7_o.jpg

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Exhibition on Russian Art from 1917-1932 in the royal academy of arts in London, some of my favourites....

82113444_large_kustodiev.jpg

boris kustodiev demonstration on Uritsky

48055.jpg

isaak brodsky lenin in smolny

Yuon_New_Planet_1921.jpg

konstantin yuon new planet

Oborona_petrograda.jpg

alexander deineka the defense of petrograd 1928

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I know this is more about painting than photography but I found this on http://www.art.com

jim-and-jamie-dutcher-jim-dutcher-places

Algoth this thread is going to end up costing me money. You've got me looking around on that site for something to liven up this house. I've never been one for decorating and the walls are pretty bare.

Thomas Sowell

I know this is more about painting than photography but I found this on http://www.art.com

jim-and-jamie-dutcher-jim-dutcher-places

Algoth this thread is going to end up costing me money. You've got me looking around on that site for something to liven up this house. I've never been one for decorating and the walls are pretty bare.

Photography is very much admitted here, as is the case with Duane Michals for example a page back. Can't say I'm a fan of that particular example, I've never been a fan of dogs to put it mildly (sorry). :(

And sorry to hear that too, but hey, it'll be for a good cause (or so I'll tell myself?)! :lol:

• Like 1

Exhibition on Russian Art from 1917-1932 in the royal academy of arts in London, some of my favourites....

Really nice stuff there, Ben! That Konstantin Yuon piece looks wonderful, I'll be looking into him a bit more.
Happy to help :)

Some more cause I got time on my hands:

redko-insurrection-1925.jpg

kliment redko insurrection

C9WmspdUAAA_63t.jpg

andrey golubev; red spinner

red-cavalry-1932.jpg

kazimir malevich; red cavalry

image.JPG

state porcelain factory leningrad; dish "moulding workshop"

kuzma-petrov-vodkin-after-the-battle-192

kuzma petrov-vodkin; after battle