Games You Would Like to See as an Obsidian Isometric Game?

DaCobbler

Hey there! Have you ever wondered if there's a game you'd like but wish it was done in an isometric style by the guys at Obsidian? 

I've been on a Mass Effect binge lately (sadly cant play Andromeda until I get a decent GPU and given the average-good reviews i'll wait for the sale) and although not a terrible series, I do feel like it suffers from trying to do so much while also trying to simplify mechanics and become a loud shooter and lastly being rushed by EA (specifically ME3 which had about two years while ME2 had about three years of development).

However, I have entertained the idea of the ME games being done by Obsidian and having an isometric angle to it.

7ccXq2G.jpg

Writing: For one I think Obsidian would have continued their tradition of writing compelling multi layered characters as we've seen in KOTOR 2, New Vegas, and Pillars of Eternity. Not that Bioware can't write good characters. I really thought Garrus, Tali and some others were consistently well written and were likable. Others though like Ashley, while having a surprising amount of depth in the first game, don't carry the same consistent quality into the other games. I feel like the dialogue in the ME games is generally really good. The problem is that what they say after their character arc is finished is much to be desired (i.e. Ashley/Kaiden were interesting in ME1 but in ME3 all they did was talk about how they can't trust you because... drama?). 

I also think Factions in Mass Effect would have been far more explored. I find the politics and factions in ME games to be too simplistic. There's hints of nuance here and there but it feels largely generalized. Humans have pro human and pro multiculturalism factions. That's kinda it. What about wealth inequality, corporations exploiting colonists, actual politicians trying to undermine one another, and so on? Again it's hinted at (i.e. the corporation on Feros observing the effects of the Thorian on colonists) but it's very shallow and not focused on. I think it's worse for the other alien races where they just had aliens like the Volus just all share this one trait like their love for banking and exploiting people for financial gains. How would a species devoted entirely to running businesses with no sign of any Volus labor manage to work as a society? 

Lastly, I think Mass Effect would have less deus ex machina and supernatural elements and been more grounded in 'reality'. I guess some would miss the more fantastical elements in Bioware's ME games but personally, I prefer more grounded stuff. Kinda like how in Battlestar Galactica, the sci fi was my favorite aspect but all that mystical I-Cant-Explain-It-Cuz-Magic felt really jarring. Maybe Obsidian's ME would have focused more on the existing factions and politics while the Reapers played a less galaxy-apocalyptic role (and none of the Crucible nonsense).

Morality: I think it's safe to say this binary Good or Evil morality system we've seen in so many games is finally losing its popularity. I mean, heck, the new Mass Effect Andromeda is dropping the Paragon/Renegade system for something more Reputation/Influence focused. And yeah, Obsidian's RPGs have largely done away with binary morality (in KOTOR2, it was how one's morality conflicted with how people viewed you). I dislike how the morality system in ME1-3 is done. Either you're an avatar of all things good or you're sometimes this badass or sometimes you're this dangerous psycho who slams reporters into the wall and threatening them while this horrific terrifying music is playing in the background. Plus binary morality forces you to full commit instead of mixing and matching. Obsidian's ME would have factions and characters judge you based on your words and actions.

Squad Combat: I hate the idea of having all these characters available to you but you're limited to only two to use. And usually you always pick these certain two characters rather than experiment with others. If Obsidian made ME, I would have loved to have had a squad of 4 to 5 to go with on missions. I know why Bioware's ME is limited to two, as well as the KOTOR games, that being it was 3D and controlling more than two characters would be too hard (especially without a tactical isometric camera view) but given that Obsidian would make it an Isometric game, controlling a larger squad would be ideal and much appreciated. Firstly because it grants more tactical options but secondly it would bring these characters along on the mission who otherwise would be stuck on the ship for the entire game. 

Combat Style: I'm not sure whether I'd like it to be a real time or turn based game. I think most would prefer a turn based game but personally I'm not that big of a fan of being forced to play at the pace the game is allowing you to. Games like XCOM 2 can get real tedious too, moving every single soldier into position or to take an action one by one can be a bit too slow and repetitive. I much playing a game at the pace I want to play it at (like Pillars of Eternity's Pause-And-Play). Plus I find real time to be more tense and engaging as i'm always on my feet and reacting in real time. I guess that would have to play like Dawn of War 2. It contains hero units, abilities, a cover system, and it's tactics based (flanking, flushing enemies out of cover, suppressing fire, etc.). I think it could translate well into a ME game. Otherwise, we could go with a traditional AP Turn Based gameplay for ME.

That said however, there is one significant downside I can see from an Isometric Mass Effect game and that would be the lack of 'cinematic cutscenes' which is one of the reasons why Mass Effect is popular. Seeing characters exchange dialogue, facial expressions, and body language in these ingame cutscenes is one of the reasons why a lot of people connect with the characters. I think that would be hard to overcome if the game is in an isometric view. I'll confess, while I do enjoy reading in Pillars of Eternity, I do feel spoiled by the 'cinematic' approach Mass Effect and Dragon Age have. It's a bit harder for me to connect through text than it is to see it happen visually. Again, it could be me for being spoiled. Still a point worth mentioning though.

In any case, what do you think? And what games or maybe even stories (books, movies) would you like to see turned into an Obsidian isometric game?

• Like 7

Yeah, some type of galaxy-spanning space opera would be welcome. I can live without the expensive cutscenes, as long as the story is enjoyable.

• Like 6

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Getting Arcanum 2.0 (or maybe just a simple remake of the same story) would be really awesome. However, I'm pretty sure that is unrealistic for copyright reasons.

A game based on Prices of Amber (by Roger Zelazny) is also something I would personally back by all means possible, but not at all sure if it's a good idea for a studio to work on a book-based/related game(which essentially binds hands of game designers in terms of many things).

• Like 2

Any SF setting, steampunk setting might be cool (yay for Arcanum2).

Of course I would love a full on StarWars RPG.

Lovely/broken Alpha Protocol was so interesting I would want them to experiment with different genres. Noir RPG might be cool (detective work, rather than combat character build - from cold and logical Holmes to deceptive, following intuition Sam Spade), historical setting might be interesting (no fantasy element). Current day RPG? RPG is such an interesting way of telling a story and there are so many stories outside fantasy adventure you can tell. I want more of those. 

• Like 1

Arcanum 2 would be a dream come true for me but feargus urquhart said on a twitch stream during the funding of pillars 2 that he tried and tried and tried to get that to be made with no luck but somthing else i would love for obsidian to make is a post apocalyptic isometric RPG much like the first fallout games

1. An 1800s Victorian England CoC

2. Shadowrun/Cyberpunk 2077

3. Wheel of Time

Those my 3 I'd like to see obsidian do as a crpg

1 & 2 hell yes.  Though really I'd like to see "any good cyberpunk" setting.  I think it's unlikely to see more Shadowrun outside of Harebrained Studios for a while, and it's probably the same for C2077.

WoT wouldn't make or break it for me, it would depend on game reception.

Hey there! Have you ever wondered if there's a game you'd like but wish it was done in an isometric style by the guys at Obsidian? 

In any case, what do you think? And what games or maybe even stories (books, movies) would you like to see turned into an Obsidian isometric game?

Nice, well thought out write up.  I agree with pretty much everything you say.

But honestly, the only thing that would be an instant pre-release purchase for me would be to have ME 1 - 3 retold from a different viewpoint.  ME: The Untold Story - the life and heroic end of Marauder Shields.  The inevitable tragic ending, rather than detracting, would create a menacing, oppressive atmosphere throughout the course of the game.

Other than the above, a prequel that included nuanced faction politics and allow exploration of a decent-sized galactic sandbox would be great.  But I don't know if the majority of ME fans would be interested in an RPG, especially an isometric one.  Also you didn't mention any of the dating sim aspects, which I'd prefer to be left out, but may be required to draw the existing fan base.

Regardless, I'd love to see an actual sci fi game, and I'd be interested in an ME game that was both more adult, and closer to sci fi rather than the popcorn action-movie sci fantasy that it turned into after the first entry. 

FWIW, Colony Ship and Copper Dreams are coming, though not for a couple of years.  They're not ME, but both have a good shot at being quality isometric RPGs

are we talking about existing games as isometric RPGs as the first post implies? 

1. Deus Ex (can't stand how that game looks and plays, but would love to play a turn-based isometric version of it)

2. Wasteland (really liked it back in the day, but as more time passes it gets less and less enjoyable; the original is a less focused game IMHO, which prevented me from finishing it several times, a more polished Wasteland on, say, Tyranny's engine would've been a dream to play.

3. Fallout 3 (FO3 gave us New Vegas, but I wonder to this day, what if Black Isle or Obsidian actually had gotten to make it instead)

if we're talking about hypothetical games, though I'd go with:

1. Darklands 2

2. Jagged Alliance 3

3. Syndicate something-something

4. Ghost in the Shell RPG

5. Aliens RPG

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It doesn't have to be Arcanum, but something steampunk would be nice. Turn-based combat.

I'm very interested in a possible historical rpg if Josh gets to make it.

Other than that? A game inspired by Chinese mythology or a mishmash of Asian mythology.

• Like 1

Reign of Winter, Curse of the Crimson Throne or Jade Regent Adventure Path put into Turn Based isometric world with rules as close as possible to Pathfinder RPG or some true space opera based on Starfinder rules :)

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Sonic The Hedgehog... there's been a couple isometric Sonic games before but they were terrible. I would love for Obsidian to have a try at it. The world of Sonic has intrigued me since I was a kid.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

coming from a guy with the word "Sonic" in his user handle, I'm not a bit surprised 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

coming from a guy with the word "Sonic" in his user handle, I'm not a bit surprised

Heck yes!

It was the first franchise that made me fall in love with gaming as a kid - even when I played a few games befoee that, but now the games are just okay at best in my opinion. I have hope it can be restored to its proper glory though.

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Flash Gordon and/or Conan the Cimmerian. Both have well fleshed out worlds and are icons of American fiction which would play well with to older audience, as well as provide a gateway to the works for younger players.

Edited by kensu

1aw3tiY.png