Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Favourite Paladin Order and why?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
Pallegina will play very differently than an Undead Hunter. Play as a 2handed swordsman as you will be getting Redeemer later on. With Durance as well you will be very strong defensively. Take Sagani and make one of her hunting bows deal extra damage to Spirits, give Pallegine the sword from the Caed Nua throne room and another party member should have the Bartender’s Ring. You can make a complete undead hunting team.

In most runs I keep 3 gear sets per person. The build gear, undead slaying and dragon slaying equipment.
  • Torm51 likes this

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1756 posts
  • Steam:extol51
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My fave order was the Shieldbearer. I found Pallies in general to be boring but loved my Shieldbearer in an all tank party. He shined brightly as the leader of 5 Warriors. Or in other party types he made my Melee Ranger/Wolf duos even more powerful/tank. Give him Shame or Glory and triple team an enemy. They could take down any non boss quite handily.

I have been wanting to play one more run through PoE1 before PoE2 arrives, but I haven't been able to come up with a character concept for my PC. (I am *NOT* looking forward to the 5 character max party size though.)

I've been somewhat tempted to try a paladin, possibly built as an "undead hunter", but I'm hesitant because I love having Pallegina round so much and am wary of playing with 2 paladins in the party. I like the variety of classes, and the potent interaction of having a wide variety of different classes in the party.
You can also take Abjuration, coupled with Sworn Enemy it annhilates spirits and summoned creatures. My issue with it is that it competes with sacred Immolation at 13 and by 15 the game is almost over and there is only a few places left with spirits. If you want it for Durgan’s battery you need it at 13 and I wouldn’t skip Sacred Immolation for it.

Edited by Torm51, 27 January 2018 - 12:42 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4758 posts

I removed some gifs to keep things on track.

pls don't make me shift through all those quote trees again. 

• Torm51 likes this

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1597 posts

My fave order was the Shieldbearer. I found Pallies in general to be boring but loved my Shieldbearer in an all tank party. He shined brightly as the leader of 5 Warriors. Or in other party types he made my Melee Ranger/Wolf duos even more powerful/tank. Give him Shame or Glory and triple team an enemy. They could take down any non boss quite handily.

I have been wanting to play one more run through PoE1 before PoE2 arrives, but I haven't been able to come up with a character concept for my PC. (I am *NOT* looking forward to the 5 character max party size though.)

I've been somewhat tempted to try a paladin, possibly built as an "undead hunter", but I'm hesitant because I love having Pallegina round so much and am wary of playing with 2 paladins in the party. I like the variety of classes, and the potent interaction of having a wide variety of different classes in the party.
You can also take Abjuration, coupled with Sworn Enemy it annhilates spirits and summoned creatures. My issue with it is that it competes with sacred Immolation at 13 and by 15 the game is almost over and there is only a few places left with spirits. If you want it for Durgan’s battery you need it at 13 and I wouldn’t skip Sacred Immolation for it.

Yeah, the downside to playing an Undead Hunter or any other monster specific type of "hunter" build is that you can be really strong vs that specific monster group, but then you have no general bonuses for everyone else.  At least if you're taking one or two of those added damage vs monster group talents. 

There are some paladin abilities that are a little more general but useful vs the undead, like the abilities that are useful against being charmed or confused or whatever.  It's nice for a pally to be able to give a charmed team mate a love tap to uncharm them.

Juanpierre

Juanpierre

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

With PoE2 coming soon, I decided to play another run through as a refresher, and chose paladin this time.  I have to say that I really like the concept of the class.  I like when a setting redefines a classic archetype, and that seems to be the case with paladins.  I respect Crucis' love of the classic holy-warrior theme.  I like the zeal-based idea, and I think the orders they created offer a variety.  You have your "good" paladins in the Wayfarers and Shieldbearers; you have your "neutral" paladins in the Darcozzi and Goldpact; and the "evil" paladins in the Bleak Walkers.  Granted, there could be more, but I think that gives a wide spread with variable motivations.  The zeal power also fits well with the overall story, since the gods aren't really deities.  Obviously, people can be happy/unhappy with design choices, and the cool thing about the fantasy fiction/gaming world is that there are plenty of options to choose from.  PoE isn't it for fantasy RPGs.

• Torm51 likes this

AramJese

AramJese

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Steam:aramdegracia

Bleak walkers because I always like the way Magran do things and in Deadfire, that's actually the only paladin order that allows you to be a templar of Magran. being extremely hostile is not necessary, you can also select neutral conversation options and alternating between clever and aggressive if you don't like to be that cruel.

Bleak walkers also gives you black eternal flames which along with scion of flame and the ring of focused flame is great on any type of build :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users