The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Rosbjerg

Haven't played BW yet, but if I'm remembering correctly, The White March part 1 didn't review well ether and part 2 (which was the best part of Pillars) reviewed even worse.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march---part-1

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march---part-2

am not one for using reviews, but since you brought it up, might as well use metacritic, eh? so few user scores is almost pointless to mention those. 

as for tyranny, we still ain't managed to work our self up to playing the game.  we bought it, much encheapened and with a coupon from our deadfire backing. were thinking o' playing a week ago, then we heard 'bout the expansion.  am now gonna wait at least a month for the predictable patching o' the expansion 'fore we indulge.  

expansion feedback from folks would be appreciated. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

as for tyranny, we still ain't managed to work our self up to playing the game.  we bought it, much encheapened and with a coupon from our deadfire backing. were thinking o' playing a week ago, then we heard 'bout the expansion.  am now gonna wait at least a month for the predictable patching o' the expansion 'fore we indulge.

Technically it's the second story DLC, including the unfinished content thingy. And this is Paradox so I'm afraid you'll have to wait a few years for all DLC to come out with their famous DLC policy. Then again, by that time, Tyranny'll be a fantasy epic like no other before it - or... Well, full of cosmetic skins.

I still haven't fired it up but I'd be happy with about 6-8 hours if it's as replayable as the base game. If it's a lot more linear then I might be disappointed depending on how much fun I have with it.

Sorry, I know that's not helpful and doesn't answer your question

Free games updated 3/4/21

Just out of curiosity for anyone who's played through Bastard's Wound so far, how much content does it add?  I saw reviews that claimed to have completed it less than 8 hours after it was released, so it makes me somewhat concerned about the amount of content for the price.

Exactly one area and three quite neat side quests.  About the size of the Foundry town.  So 15 dollars for one zone to go into, it's actually a fairly expensive DLC and 8 hours seems about accurate.  

Right, so waiting for it to be on sale, which was my original thought.

By the by, anyone know if they fixed it so you can legitimately get into the tower in Lethian's Crossing if you go to the Burning Library instead?  When I played I only had access to two of the rubbings, which bothered me.

By the by, anyone know if they fixed it so you can legitimately get into the tower in Lethian's Crossing if you go to the Burning Library instead?  When I played I only had access to two of the rubbings, which bothered me.

Well, you don't need all three rubbings to access the spire. Those mostly serve as guides. I'm currently playing through the game again though going through the Rebel path so I don't have an answer.

Also, just touched the Wound for the first time... It's a pretty cool location. So far the additional content has been pretty cool, though my worry still remains about it being too scarce. We'll see.

On a minor subject I do find it weird that the Sentinel Stand outskirts has no wind whatsoever even when being under effect of the Edict of Storms. Is this a bug or an oversight?

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Well, you don't need all three rubbings to access the spire. Those mostly serve as guides. I'm currently playing through the game again though going through the Rebel path so I don't have an answer.

Technically, sure.  But it still annoyed me.  I ended up looking it up online because I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was missing, and it turned out I wasn't missing anything, it just wasn't possible to get.  It just felt wrong to "cheat" my way in, and it kind of killed my enthusiasm (that, and the fact that everything suddenly became all "go here, kill them" instead of actually being able to talk to and reason with people.)

Technically, sure.  But it still annoyed me.  I ended up looking it up online because I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was missing, and it turned out I wasn't missing anything, it just wasn't possible to get.  It just felt wrong to "cheat" my way in, and it kind of killed my enthusiasm (that, and the fact that everything suddenly became all "go here, kill them" instead of actually being able to talk to and reason with people.)

I do find it annoying that more than once there's a very logical and easy solution for a problem that is just omitted out of game convenience or "evil railroading". A few examples, which will be spoilery: when finding out Deya killed Phaedra following the attack on Lethian's Crossing, there is no option to charge her for murder, it's either take a bribe, let her go or kill her. This makes little sense considering your whole role in the game is as an enforcer of law. Similarly, in the Disfavoured path I hate the fact that we cannot choose to do anything *but* follow the Disfavoured plan when dealing with Cairn, even though that plan is obviously deeply flawed, unnecessary and goes against the interests of Kyros in favour of the personal interests of a vassal who we should not be taking orders from. Again, it ignores our role as an agent of the Court of Tunon (this problem crops up time and time again). Also during the Rebel path I dislike the way we are made to choose either/or between the Forge-Bound and Bronze Brotherhood for the absolute flimsiest reason possible: that one person insulted the other and they go on an "us or them" hissy-fit next. You would hope for a more diplomatic choice but no, there's simply none given. Oddly enough one of the best set-up "hard choices" in the game, that of choosing to either kill a baby to end an Edict or let it live and with it let the Edict endure, does offer a third option for a perfect outcome. I don't know, I just find these choices to often feel forced on the player by the lack of a more sensible response option to choose from instead of the game finding ways to genuinely put the player in an uncomfortable position.

Sorry, a bit of a rant, but yeah.

Edited by algroth

Playing through it again myself. I really like the random encounters from Tales from the Tiers.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You don't need three. Much like the Spires in the Stone Sea, the two rubbings for that Spire make up one side of the picture, and the codes are always symmetrical. I distinctly remember that fact being spelled out for one of the Stone Sea Spires, I can't remember if the same was true for the one in Lethian Crossing.

Hi guys, quick question. How exactly do you reach the Bastard's Wound area? I read somewhere else that I'm supposed to get a missive, but even after doing some quests I still haven't gotten anything. I'm on the Disfavored path and currently in the Stone Sea. This is my first time playing Tyranny so I have no idea when Act 3 starts, but this should still be Act 2 right?

Also, even though I definitely installed the expansion, my game still says v1.0.3.0031, while the expansion .exe says 1.2.0.0079.

Help?

You get a missive from a Sage, saying she has some incriminating information and wish to preserve it - no idea what triggered receiving it.

I think you have to acquire the first non-Apex region in your map to get it. At least, as soon as I claimed Lethian's Crossing in my playthrough I got the missive.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

Hi guys, quick question. How exactly do you reach the Bastard's Wound area? I read somewhere else that I'm supposed to get a missive, but even after doing some quests I still haven't gotten anything. I'm on the Disfavored path and currently in the Stone Sea. This is my first time playing Tyranny so I have no idea when Act 3 starts, but this should still be Act 2 right?

Also, even though I definitely installed the expansion, my game still says v1.0.3.0031, while the expansion .exe says 1.2.0.0079.

Help?

There was a bug in this version (fixed in v.1.2.1.0.0121). I suggest to update the game (GOG version, I assume?) or to read https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/bastards-wound-quest-not-triggering.1043001/

So, I'm hitting a bit of a wall right now on Bastard's Wound...

Anyone know if the Sleepless can be cured? From what I'm reading elsewhere there is a questline related to it, but I can't seem to find a way to look into it. I've already convinced Reef-Talon to return and have appointed her leader of the Wound. Also, anyone been able to interact with or kill Lullaby?

Help?

There was a bug in this version (fixed in v.1.2.1.0.0121). I suggest to update the game (GOG version, I assume?) or to read https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/bastards-wound-quest-not-triggering.1043001/

Fixed it by downloading and installing the most recent base game.

So upon loading my game I immediately got the Verse and Barik quests. Does Lantry's quest require anything specific?

Help?

So upon loading my game I immediately got the Verse and Barik quests. Does Lantry's quest require anything specific?

The first part is to collect the Chronicle as the Sage, who sent the missive, asked; the second becomes available at the beginning of Act III (completion of part I/Truth and Reconciliation is required).

Help?

Just tried applying the latest patch and I'm getting the same problem. Patch says it installed correctly but game menu still shows previous version.

Anyone know of this issue?

Downloaded the patch after I encountered a bug in the Jaspos / Reef-Talon quest which I can't seem to finish.

I'm also stuck with a game-breaking bug of my own, it seems... I can't seem to change party members, doing so makes my formation go haywire (refusing to remove characters from the party and adding one or two characters only, creating multiple copies of Verse, and disparities between the party management interface and the people *actually* in my party - not to mention the occasional doppelgangers appearing in the party management interface too), and following that my game will just refuse to load a new area. I'm just stuck in a loading screen. Anyone heard of an issue like this?

Edited by algroth

Ok, DLC broke Barik and I had already had a game breaking bug and restarted but now I just say **** this buggy piece of ****. Tyranny was fine but now I'm having second thoughts due to the DLC.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif