The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Rosbjerg

The first time I played, I went largely with the Scarley Chorus (who I turned on late in the game). Second time I went with the rebel path and I thought that felt much more... I dunno, fleshed out and more like a "real game" somehow.

I think that it was a misstep though to provide a rebel path but not a path where you can be a supporter of Kyros up until the end.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Rebel as in independent or with the factions of the Tiers?

As for supporting Kyros

it becomes somewhat clear through dialogues with Nerat and Lantry that Kyros intended *someone* to take the mantle of opposition to his/her reign in the Tiers - so one could argue that taking that mantle yourself, knowing and accepting this - would be the ultimate show of loyalty

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Old thread here.

Been thinking about doing a new playthrough - is siding with the rebels fun?

As fun as being the hero in any traditional RPG is, I suppose. The writing is bad though -- it's never properly established what your motivations could be to just up and ignore orders to start helping the enemy for no reason at all, really early in the story. Because of how poorly this branch is set up, I didn't realize it was an option until I read about it in some forum.

Once you get past that point, it fleshes out the different tiersmen groups more than the loyalist and anarchist paths, so it's not all bad.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Rebel as in independent or with the factions of the Tiers?

As for supporting Kyros

it becomes somewhat clear through dialogues with Nerat and Lantry that Kyros intended *someone* to take the mantle of opposition to his/her reign in the Tiers - so one could argue that taking that mantle yourself, knowing and accepting this - would be the ultimate show of loyalty

Siding with the Tiersmen.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Rebels are apparently pretty fun, but as numbers says, the initial process of going with the rebels is nonsensical. The rebels clearly state all the way that they have no hope of winning - and at that point in the game, you as a lawbringer have no reason to think you have any kind of power to change the situation. (Basically, your stupid and suicidal decision only gets vindicated by the gigantic magical chosen one deus ex machina macguffin of the end of Act One.) You also need to show extreme sympathy to the rebels from the very start, to the point of dereliction of duty and simple stupidity in being so trusting of the enemy - without knowing very much about what kind of rebels they are, how they'd reciprocate your gestures, etc. 

I wouldn't really recommend the independent path. I'm sure most people choose it, either because they don't like the factions or because it's the standard 'have your cake and eat it too' munchkin RPG path, but it just means the rest of the game is "go here kill everybody". At least if you're with a faction it's, uh, "go here and kill half of them".

• Like 4

I mostly sided with the Tiersmen because, uhm, screw Kyros who sends me to two bickering children to cast an edict that damn well kills me too.

Since Kyros obviously wants me dead as well I might as be as much of a pain in the ass as I can. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Rebels are apparently pretty fun, but as numbers says, the initial process of going with the rebels is nonsensical. The rebels clearly state all the way that they have no hope of winning - and at that point in the game, you as a lawbringer have no reason to think you have any kind of power to change the situation. (Basically, your stupid and suicidal decision only gets vindicated by the gigantic magical chosen one deus ex machina macguffin of the end of Act One.) You also need to show extreme sympathy to the rebels from the very start, to the point of dereliction of duty and simple stupidity in being so trusting of the enemy - without knowing very much about what kind of rebels they are, how they'd reciprocate your gestures, etc. 

The video posted in the previous thread brushed on the subject lightly, that even if we try to work Kyros' rule and stretch it to be as lesser of an evil as we can - we are still actively supporting a fascist and oppressive regime.

One could argue, that the only morally (if we see such things as evil) right thing to do, is to actively fight against it, no matter the odds and consequences. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil... and all that.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Some enterprising fellow on Reddit found this little gem.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1658966/000121390017002557/f1apos5_figpublishing.htm

From that page:

"Obsidian currently has four games in development: Pillars of Eternity II; Tyranny DLC; Pathfinder: Adventures; and an unannounced title with a major publisher."

Edited by Chairchucker
  • Like 3

The video posted in the previous thread brushed on the subject lightly, that even if we try to work Kyros' rule and stretch it to be as lesser of an evil as we can - we are still actively supporting a fascist and oppressive regime.

One could argue, that the only morally (if we see such things as evil) right thing to do, is to actively fight against it, no matter the odds and consequences. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil... and all that.

I haven't watched the video, but that kind of blinkered "FREEEEEDOM" romanticism is to real liberalism what scientism is to real science. I never finished the rebel playthrough, but from what I saw, I was glad that the game itself didn't descend to such crude "oh but we must fight for liberal democracy". 

I suppose it would make sense if you roleplayed a hardcore extremist dissident lawgiver who only signed up to Tunon to cause havoc and/or became extremely disaffected, and planned to use the rebels to cause trouble from the start - and then allowed his/her beliefs to override how incredibly insane, stupid, suicidal this would be strategically... and then turns out it works out because suddenly you are super magical power fairy.

I haven't watched the video, but that kind of blinkered "FREEEEEDOM" romanticism is to real liberalism what scientism is to real science. I never finished the rebel playthrough, but from what I saw, I was glad that the game itself didn't descend to such crude "oh but we must fight for liberal democracy". 

I suppose it would make sense if you roleplayed a hardcore extremist dissident lawgiver who only signed up to Tunon to cause havoc and/or became extremely disaffected, and planned to use the rebels to cause trouble from the start - and then allowed his/her beliefs to override how incredibly insane, stupid, suicidal this would be strategically... and then turns out it works out because suddenly you are super magical power fairy.

The video speaks about the way in which we're forced to compromise and how the compromise we make in Tyranny is at ends to the romantic vision we hold of ourselves as the heroes who would fight against injustice and oppression were we put in that position. I'd say it's attacking what romantic notions we hold of ourselves as "good people" when in reality we're just as easy to bend and be made to fall in line by a greater authority, and isn't going about a vision of "freedom" as you put it exactly either.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Fair enough, I can't talk about a video I haven't seen, I can only talk about the plausibility of the PC going for rebels in Act 1.

I really wish they had some additional content for the game, or a sequel. I really enjoyed it and I want more, but replaying the same for slightly different outcomes can be tiresome by now :p

Well, if the link I posted is to be believed, it certainly seems like you'll be getting your wish.

Here it comes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-portrait-pack-announced.1008276/

Tyranny-PortraitPack-1200px.jpg

We have some exciting things lined up for the world of Tyranny going forward!

To tease your pallet the Overlord Kyros will first bring some new faces to all the Fatebinders out there! Our new character Portrait Pack releases on Steam on April 4th at $3.99, what comes next, 

you will have to wait and see.

Edited by Infinitron

Yeah, Paradox is their publisher, I'm not even slightly surprised. Throw the actually important stuff in the expansion packs, and throw the cosmetic nonsense in the DLC - that's the Paradox way.

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Oh, dislike over at Paradox boards is called "Respectfully Disagree". That's uh... Sure. And yeah, Paradox and DLC - I'm more interested in what they'll have to offer in larger paid content packs with... Idunno, story. That can't be modded in.

• Like 1

A portrait pack when you can easily create or download much better ones?  I don't think I'd be interested even if it was free.

I've been enjoying the game for the week I've played it so far, but I'm not a fan of the portraits.  The quality is meh and IMO the cartoony aesthetic doesn't fit the game at all.  Maybe it's just me. 

Hopefully this is just a hold-over before the real DLC.

A portrait pack when you can easily create or download much better ones?  I don't think I'd be interested even if it was free.

I've been enjoying the game for the week I've played it so far, but I'm not a fan of the portraits.  The quality is meh and IMO the cartoony aesthetic doesn't fit the game at all.  Maybe it's just me. 

Hopefully this is just a hold-over before the real DLC.

They did hint over at Paradox forums that something else is coming as well. Paradox usually releases a portrait pack before an actual content DLC.

Hate the living, love the dead.