RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Is playing Clear Skies and Call of Pripyat for the first time better modded or unmodded?

If you're going for Clear Sky you really need to find some bugfix mods at the very least, that games faction wars always snafu'd my game. Every other time I tried to enter a new area it wrecked something for me. I haven't played Clear Sky in ages though and I can't remember any of the mod names.

@Call of Chernobyl: I tried that for about 10 minutes before uninstalling. My idea of a decent S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod was not to make the game into one giant warzone, which is what it felt like immediately after starting, with attack helicopters flying around and giant battles occurring seemingly at all times. Did not like.

I've been playing it for an hour or three so far, and I'm having a blast. I haven't really seen any really warzone'esque behaviour yet, but there are alot of bandits. I had to fight my way through a checkpoint to get from the Bar to the junkyard to hit a bandit camp there, was a blast even though I was outgunned and outnumbered. Granted I had had a couple of glasses of rum by then wich might have influenced me. ^^'

I guess you had bad luck with random spawn perhaps?

The one thing I haven't really liked so far is how barebones the storymode is, you get two missions when you wake up and that is it. I'd have liked something more really, even though I know what is up with those quests.

Edit; Also, the Heli's can be disabled in the options menu.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Interesting analysis of a little gem from Ice-Pick Lodge:

It's a game that has a special place in my heart for the reason that playing it helped me kick a bout of depression from a creative rut. Hope you guys enjoy!

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

He's definitely put in his time in the video game business.  Can't blame a guy for wanting to relax and enjoy his life.  I'd retire right now, if I could afford to, and I'm significantly younger than Brian Fargo.

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

He's definitely put in his time in the video game business.  Can't blame a guy for wanting to relax and enjoy his life.  I'd retire right now, if I could afford to, and I'm significantly younger than Brian Fargo.

He mentioned that he started back when Ken and Roberta Williams were running Sierra, and it reminded me that they basically sail around the world on a sweet yacht and enjoy retirement. I hope I am so lucky some day (although I want a sweet RV, not a yacht.) 

Planescape: Torment supposedly enhanced edition being hinted at by Beamdog? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hey folks, not sure if people here had the game on their radar, but Battle Brothers got a full release last evening. It's a fun sandbox with RPG elements, but mostly trying to stay alive as a wandering band of Mercenaries.

A bit RNG heavy, but with enough tools to help you. Some high difficulty tasks with higher rewards, you'll need to accept that you'll lose some of your vets and equipment.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/

I fully recommend this to any TB Combat lover. It's definitely worth its money.

• Like 2

He mentioned that he started back when Ken and Roberta Williams were running Sierra, and it reminded me that they basically sail around the world on a sweet yacht and enjoy retirement. I hope I am so lucky some day (although I want a sweet RV, not a yacht.)

Amphibious RV, 'nuff said.

• Like 4

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Planescape: Torment supposedly enhanced edition being hinted at by Beamdog? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Oh dear... leave Torment alone, leave it alone! They failed with their BG"3" and now they are going fater an another Black Isle classic? Damn hacks.

• Like 3

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'd retire immediately if I had the money to do so and I'm 30 years younger than Fargo. But then again I'm not creating anything else except tears and misery.

• Like 2

Oh dear... leave Torment alone, leave it alone! They failed with their BG"3" and now they are going fater an another Black Isle classic? Damn hacks.

Meh, Planescape'll remain what it's always been, more people will just be able to play it. And perhaps they'll have the good sense to make reading text in that game a wee bit easier. They probably won't. Eh, one can always hope.

Meh, Planescape'll remain what it's always been, more people will just be able to play it. And perhaps they'll have the good sense to make reading text in that game a wee bit easier. They probably won't. Eh, one can always hope.

Yep. Quite so. Really getting tired of the "I don't want/like it, so nobody else should have it" attitude of some people. Beamdog is doing awesome work, and I'll keep giving them lots of my money.

Beamdog is doing awesome work

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, if nothing else, Beamdog has made sure that new people to the games can enjoy them with a bunch of changes for modern audience while not touching the originals, so everybody wins in the end.

Meh, while I won't give Beamdog any of my money because, one, I have no desire to replay these games, and two, I think they're cashing in on other, far more talented, peoples' work, I'm not too bothered by their "enhanced editions" existing.  While the original content they add themselves tends to be of much lower quality than that of the base games, they make it easier to run on modern operating systems than installing the preexisting mods yourself.  I do wish the original games were still available for sale by themselves, for those that want to play the games and don't want to give Beamdog money for their cash-in, but such is the way of things.  Oh well.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Beamdog doing awesome work? ROFLMAO.

And i'm not really sure about Starcraft reamstered. It the interface that's bothering me. I'd like it to be a bit smaller. :(.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

He's definitely put in his time in the video game business. Can't blame a guy for wanting to relax and enjoy his life. I'd retire right now, if I could afford to, and I'm significantly younger than Brian Fargo.

I'd retire immediately if I had the money to do so and I'm 30 years younger than Fargo. But then again I'm not creating anything else except tears and misery.

I'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud this morning. I needed that.

Meh, while I won't give Beamdog any of my money because, one, I have no desire to replay these games, and two, I think they're cashing in on other, far more talented, peoples' work, I'm not too bothered by their "enhanced editions" existing.  While the original content they add themselves tends to be of much lower quality than that of the base games, they make it easier to run on modern operating systems than installing the preexisting mods yourself.  I do wish the original games were still available for sale by themselves, for those that want to play the games and don't want to give Beamdog money for their cash-in, but such is the way of things.  Oh well.

Didn't them Polish people invent Good Old Games just for this purpose only? I don't need an enhanced version with someone else cashing in on someone's great product. Their own game failed from what I've read and I don't think anyone should add anything to Torment. Not even MCA if they can bring him on to the project. Leave the game as it is if you must release an enhanced edition for it.

• Like 1

He's definitely put in his time in the video game business. Can't blame a guy for wanting to relax and enjoy his life. I'd retire right now, if I could afford to, and I'm significantly younger than Brian Fargo.

I'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud this morning. I needed that.

It was meant as such. My job isn't the sorta job where you make many friends :)

From the folks what made the Wargame series:

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling