RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

There have now been 10 years of cheeki breekis and getting out of there Stalker since Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is now 10 years old. Still has the best atmosphere in any game I've played, and the best 'dungeons'.

Even worse for making me feel old, Baldur's Gate will be 20 (!) years old next year.

• Like 4

If you want to enjoy For Honor in fullest, you have to either shell out 70+730USD or play 5200 hours.

Do you still think that Microtransactions should stay in the games?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/analysis-for-honor-unlocks-cost-730-or-5200-hours/

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Even worse for making me feel old, Baldur's Gate will be 20 (!) years old next year.

Why wait until next year when you've got plenty 20 year olds this year. Like Fallout, Diablo ( as far europe is concerned), Dungeon Keeper, MDK, Total Annihilation, GTA and Age of Empires. ;__; No to mention that Final Fantasy and Maniac Mansion will be turning 30 this year.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Why do you want me to feel old now, instead of next year?

Of that list the only one I personally would take as significant would be Fallout, and I played that a year or so after release since I actually played F2 first (I also preferred F2). The other games I either played or liked on that list such as DK/ TA/ AoE I simply wouldn't consider important enough, to me, to remember their release date.

(I didn't like Diablo much, though I'll freely admit it is a significant game in general)

There have now been 10 years of cheeki breekis and getting out of there Stalker since Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is now 10 years old. Still has the best atmosphere in any game I've played, and the best 'dungeons'.

I can't help but get some slight goosebumps every time I think about the game, love it.

Have you tried Call of Chernobyl? I haven't had the time yet so I can't vouch for the quality myself, read about it in the Swedish PCGamer a little while ago, and it looks promising. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

When a coworker is younger than C&C, I feel old.

• Like 7

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My boss is. ._.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Then I remember what ****ty time they were born into and I feel all better.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Witcher 3 Devs started out with no idea how to make games?

More than a decade ago, I read that Blizzard had no idea how to make an MMO when it made WoW. (Now ruined by Activision IMO) Now, what the folks are saying in the comments is that this is because of publisher practices and "standard operating procedure" etc.

My thought is this: While all of that is possible, could there be a much simpler explanation? I imagine when a lot of these successful games pop up from first time or near first time developers there is something they don't have, that very experienced developers do have... A concept of limitations. In fact, most of retro gaming is filled with titles that were made by people whom had no preconceptions about what is possible and what was not. Additionally, there were no curriculum for game design with professors telling them what's possible and what isn't. Perhaps the reason why what they try often works is because they have no reason to believe that it won't. After all, complacency is one sure way to undermine one's goals.

• Like 5

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I can't help but get some slight goosebumps every time I think about the game, love it.

Have you tried Call of Chernobyl? I haven't had the time yet so I can't vouch for the quality myself, read about it in the Swedish PCGamer a little while ago, and it looks promising. :)

To be honest I've barely played with any mods, except for AMK (and real weapon names for the later ones). Up until mid late 2015 I literally didn't have the bandwidth for most mods, this year I've mostly been catching up on games I couldn't download previously. A properly modded Stalker run is certainly on the list though.

• Like 1

To be honest I've barely played with any mods, except for AMK (and real weapon names for the later ones). Up until mid late 2015 I literally didn't have the bandwidth for most mods, this year I've mostly been catching up on games I couldn't download previously. A properly modded Stalker run is certainly on the list though.

I've taken a couple of vacation days at the end of the week, wich I will spend on that mod, it just looks too promising - especially now that the games I wanted to play turned out to be turds. I've spent some time in Lost Alpha and Stalker Complete, but I hope this will be better than LA atleast.

Still confused as to why LA was released mid-2014...and somehow they've been working on an update for the last three years. It's not like the project has been abandoned, either...but it's like they're keeping any and all changes to themselves until they feel "comfortable" releasing it all it once. I tried it way back when it was originally released, thought, "Looks like there's a few things they still need to work out, I'll check back in a couple of months," ...and now it's been nearly 3 years.

lol @ winning "Mod of the Year" in 2014 before it was even released yet, and still sorta isn't :(

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Still confused as to why LA was released mid-2014...and somehow they've been working on an update for the last three years. It's not like the project has been abandoned, either...but it's like they're keeping any and all changes to themselves until they feel "comfortable" releasing it all it once. I tried it way back when it was originally released, thought, "Looks like there's a few things they still need to work out, I'll check back in a couple of months," ...and now it's been nearly 3 years.

lol @ winning "Mod of the Year" in 2014 before it was even released yet, and still sorta isn't :(

Well, Call of Chernobyl won Mod of the year in 2016 iirc, so *Shrug*

From what I remember they planned to release Lost Alpha as a pay for expansion, with the blessings of GSC, but when someone leaked the unfinished project some drama probably happened and they lost their "deal" with GSC, so they released it for free, but in an incomplete stage instead. It's been a while since I read about it though, so I might be remembering things wrong.

Still, downloading and installing Call of Chernobyl in a few minutes. :)

Is playing Clear Skies and Call of Pripyat for the first time better modded or unmodded?

I would definitely use Real Weapon Names and Atmosfear for both of them.  Neither mod changes game balance in any measurable way, but both make the experience more immersive.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Is playing Clear Skies and Call of Pripyat for the first time better modded or unmodded?

Yeah, some light modding is required for those games.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

For Shadow of Chernobyl, you should at least install the ZRP (Zone Reclamation Project) - it's the giant conglomeration of bugfixes and minor features and changes that the Stalker Complete mod based itself on and (rather unrightfully) gained a lot of popularity for, except Stalker Complete is super outdated at this point. For Clear Sky, I don't really like Clear Sky and can't really comment.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

@Call of Chernobyl: I tried that for about 10 minutes before uninstalling. My idea of a decent S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod was not to make the game into one giant warzone, which is what it felt like immediately after starting, with attack helicopters flying around and giant battles occurring seemingly at all times. Did not like.