What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

Kind of mirroring my thoughts about it as well: gameplay-wise, it's just an okay and rather mediocre 2D platformer, and don't really get why people are so incredibly in love with it.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

So, After a couple of days on Expeditions: Vikings here is the first verdict:

Don't buy just yet.

There seem to be a lot of gamebreaking bugs, where the quests don't trigger the next step and you can't proceed to the actual expedition part. Devs are working on it and another patch should come soon.

Other than that the game has a good atmosphere, but I am sick and tired of RPG games putting the player in he-said-she-said situations where you have to randomly decide who you believe. Unfair to mention it as a negative for this game, but it does stand out because Conquistador did not have this. Then there is the quest where the game has you running after a non-existent non-violent solution (the existing non-violent solution has an unrelated pre-requisite in the prologue so may never show up as an option) with players ending up thinking the quest is bugged. And I don't like dev comments of "Or you can just abandon the quest if you don't like your options :)" if there are no options and I have spend an hour searching for any. If your solution to a one way railroad quest is telling people to abandon it, then your quest design sucks.

<--- probably continuing E:V but ignoring sidequests from now on.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

don't really get why people are so incredibly in love with it.

Well... Some people do enjoy atmosphere and storytelling a lot more than the actual gameplay, popularity of walking sims is a testament of that. And Inside does hold a lot of appeal there, especially if you enjoy showing over telling.
  • Like 1

So, After a couple of days on Expeditions: Vikings here is the first verdict:

Don't buy just yet.

There seem to be a lot of gamebreaking bugs, where the quests don't trigger the next step and you can't proceed to the actual expedition part. Devs are working on it and another patch should come soon.

Other than that the game has a good atmosphere, but I am sick and tired of RPG games putting the player in he-said-she-said situations where you have to randomly decide who you believe. Unfair to mention it as a negative for this game, but it does stand out because Conquistador did not have this. Then there is the quest where the game has you running after a non-existent non-violent solution (the existing non-violent solution has an unrelated pre-requisite in the prologue so may never show up as an option) with players ending up thinking the quest is bugged. And I don't like dev comments of "Or you can just abandon the quest if you don't like your options :)" if there are no options and I have spend an hour searching for any. If your solution to a one way railroad quest is telling people to abandon it, then your quest design sucks.

<--- probably continuing E:V but ignoring sidequests from now on.

I've come across a few quests where it's like the devs went totally braindead. I don't mind if not every quest can have a peaceful or optimal solution but it should at least make sense in the game wold. I'm assuming you're talking about the Kill the Rats quest because the solutions to that one are very limited and completely arbitrary and I saw one of the devs post about dropping it if you don't like the options. 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

don't really get why people are so incredibly in love with it.

Well... Some people do enjoy atmosphere and storytelling a lot more than the actual gameplay, popularity of walking sims is a testament of that. And Inside does hold a lot of appeal there, especially if you enjoy showing over telling.

To be honest, I didn't get much out of the (unexplained and rather over the top, I felt) atmosphere or "story", either, but I guess different things work for different people.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I've come across a few quests where it's like the devs went totally braindead. I don't mind if not every quest can have a peaceful or optimal solution but it should at least make sense in the game wold. I'm assuming you're talking about the Kill the Rats quest because the solutions to that one are very limited and completely arbitrary and I saw one of the devs post about dropping it if you don't like the options. 

That's the one. It is telling that on the Steam Forum it is one of the discussion threads with the most replies.

The one with the arson in Ribe is also silly.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Last night I played a few minutes of Retro City Rampage. Underrated goodness.

Here's a 90's Strafe like trailer for good measure. Enjoy!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Expeditions: Viking - Enjoying it, and going to buy new DLC for Stellaris..

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I have finished the climb to the max ranks in Project CARS and won the LMP1 championship against AI opponents on level 70, in less than 10 seasons (took me 6 seasons), starting with 125cc Kart championship. Two out of three historical goals achieved. Need to do some unlocks for special invitational races and win three more LMP1 Championships for two more Golden Trophies.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Damn, maybe I'll have to check it out then. Really wasn't interested in it before because I thought it's a multiplayer only title.

I loved Singularity. Played it a few times in a row.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished Nier.

Although there's aspects of the story and design I don't quite appreciate, the whole package is pretty damn amazing.

Did you get [E]? You absolutely need to get [E].

I wish that someway, somehow

That I can save every one of us

But the truth is that I'm only one girl

I'm itching to give that game a full second playthrough something fierce. But I also don't want to let my backlogs grow...

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finished Nier.Although there's aspects of the story and design I don't quite appreciate, the whole package is pretty damn amazing.

I wish that someway, somehowThat I can save every one of usBut the truth is that I'm only one girlI'm itching to give that game a full second playthrough something fierce. But I also don't want to let my backlogs grow...

That was beautiful :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Damn, maybe I'll have to check it out then. Really wasn't interested in it before because I thought it's a multiplayer only title.

I loved Singularity. Played it a few times in a row.

The campaign is very fun to play and it shows that you can tell a mature story with mechs and robots in it. It might be shorter than most SP campaigns I've played but the gameplay is so tight that I can definitely see myself playing it again. It has great controls, amazing weapon sounds, adequate blood & gore, good narrative and some great platforming sections that don't outstay their welcome.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

The campaign is very fun to play and it shows that you can tell a mature story with mechs and robots in it. It might be shorter than most SP campaigns I've played but the gameplay is so tight that I can definitely see myself playing it again. It has great controls, amazing weapon sounds, adequate blood & gore, good narrative and some great platforming sections that don't outstay their welcome.

And there was the bit with the wrist device.

And the bit with the complex around satellite dish.

And then you kinda had to trust him.

So good. Incidentally, Titanfall 2 didn't sell very well, so we probably won't ever see another campaign from that universe. Booooo!

I'm itching to give that game a full second playthrough something fierce. But I also don't want to let my backlogs grow...

I couldn't resist. Edited by Fenixp

Finished Nier.

Although there's aspects of the story and design I don't quite appreciate, the whole package is pretty damn amazing.

Yep.  The ending sequence is great but I find the ending itself pretty empty.

Still, I too feel the need to play it more - or a sequel,

though I doubt that would wrap up the story if this game didn't bother.

And I wish bosses gave a better fight post Route A. It's funny, I could spend a lot of time critisizing things about N:A but despite them it's still just such a great experience.

Edited by Oner

To be fair, I don't think there was much to wrap up - ultimately, the themes Nier: Automata worked with were much more important to it than the world or storytelling in itself, which is really interesting.

After all, quite literally the only good decision you could have made throughout the game which would not end up in pain and misery was one that happened to be completely outside the game itself. Which is ... Kinda genius, actually.

After all, quite literally the only good decision you could have made throughout the game which would not end up in pain and misery was one that happened to be completely outside the game itself. Which is ... Kinda genius, actually.

Can you expand on this point? Do you mean some random side quest (not story associated) help determine the good ending? I guess what I'm asking is what does "outside the game" mean?

Just play Nier: Automata people.

Uh... Let me put it this way: Saying more than I did would already be a spoiler in a game that heavily focuses on catching the player off-guard, so I won't. If you're planning to play NieR: Automata, just get all the endings up to [E] and there's no way you'd not end up understanding what do I mean. If you don't plan on playing NieR: Automata, just telling you what is it that I'm referring to won't really mean much to you, as fully understanding gravity of that... Bit requires you to have experienced the game.

^I'm curious too but have no desire to actually play the game

Putting Expeditions Viking aside to wait for some patches so mayble I'll give DoW:3 another shot. I hate campaigns that have you jumping between the factions and the gameplay hasn't been that great.

Edit- I also just googled the endings

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Just play Nier: Automata people.

Uh... Let me put it this way: Saying more than I did would already be a spoiler in a game that heavily focuses on catching the player off-guard, so I won't. If you're planning to play NieR: Automata, just get all the endings up to [E] and there's no way you'd not end up understanding what do I mean. If you don't plan on playing NieR: Automata, just telling you what is it that I'm referring to won't really mean much to you, as fully understanding gravity of that... Bit requires you to have experienced the game.

No worries, I just Googled it up. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Can you expand on this point? Do you mean some random side quest (not story associated) help determine the good ending? I guess what I'm asking is what does "outside the game" mean?

so not playin the game is the only good decision

makes sense to me

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.