Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Duel / multiplayer / pvp PoE II: Deadfire

Duel multiplayer Deadfire Character import Character export

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like multiplayer in Deadfire? (126 member(s) have cast votes)

Poll title says it all

1. Yes (17 votes [13.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.49%

2. No (109 votes [86.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2284 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd rather they make a spin-off to Pillars game based on multiplayer (co-op or competitive) than trying to squeeze it in the original game.

Pillars of Eternity: Tactics? I'd back that I think.

• rjshae, illathid, Sedrefilos and 1 other like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No interest in the mode; if it was added I more than likely wouldn't use it.

• ShadySands and algroth like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

All great singleplayer games share same destiny.

Just think about - what will you do when there is nothing to achieve in the game you like, when you would like to spend more time, but you know every nook and cranny...

At that stage game begin to be boring. Yes, if it was an interesting game - it will stay in your memory for a lifetime.

But such games can be compared to a good book, just with scripted interactions leading to certain conclusions.

Why not to make a book / game you can read / play again and again with the same zeal?

My thought one can be with an option to compete with somebody, to show your superiority, with competetive spirit.

This is more then just duels / MP - it's the end game content, which could be based on these features or something around that.
I'm talking about interaction / fun. 
Why not to make it like Card hunter for instance, but using Unity 5.0+ engine?

Right now, looking at PoE I - it's hard to do interesting video footage highlight, even reaching "The Ultimate", cause almost nobody cares.

For me it's top notch to compete with equal passionate player, but when it's not an option - it makes me sad.

No need to do MMO, just some kind of arena mode to prove your superiority, not only via forum threads.

Yes, all single player story driven games, like any other stories end. That is the nature of things. You can return to them (in case of games even have slightly different experience!), but when all is said and done, yeah games end.

I don't see how adding an arena would make anyone play PoE "again and again with the same zeal." Geez, I play Starcraft and Overwatch and I don't play those with the same zeal anymore. Things end, or get boring. The strength of PoE is writing, setting, stories. Those can't be generated. I don't believe adding multiplayer arena would expand life of the game. I doubt there would be enough people caring to show their "superiority" in a competitively unbalanced game to keep it going. 

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I must admit, it's my unfulfilled dream: I've always wanted to compete party vs party or one on one in any AD&D game series.

It's something that was poorly, but implemented in Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir, so I thought something like that would be fine with Pillars.

Offtop: fig.co update a bit more baker effort for the sea monsters!

Edited by Nail, 21 March 2017 - 10:57 AM.

Abel

Abel

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I must admit, it's my unfulfilled dream: I've always wanted to compete party vs party or one on one in any AD&D game series.

It's something that was poorly, but implemented in Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir, so I thought something like that would be fine with Pillars.

Well, i guess no one here would throw you to the pit for having such unfulfilled dreams. It's only natural. I have some, too. It must be the same for many others. I know it can be frustrating. But while it's possible to argue about design decisions at the current development stage, it's way more difficult when it comes to hard coded features like multiplayer. I guess all we all say is that having it in Pillars 2 is pretty much impossible for various reasons.

But Inxile decided to introduce co-op multi in Wasteland 3 since the very start. You should advocate for multiplayer being introduced in a future, more combat-oriented, more budgeted Pillars game. Inxile showed it's always allowed to dream. You should just chose the right moment to fight for multi :). I genuinely wish you good luck.

Varana

Varana

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
If you're comfortable with turn-based (which is way better suited to whole parties fighting against each other, anyway), Divinity:OS II might be worth a look. It has an arena mode with up to 4 characters per player.
  • Wormerine likes this

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If you're comfortable with turn-based (which is way better suited to whole parties fighting against each other, anyway), Divinity:OS II might be worth a look. It has an arena mode with up to 4 characters per player.

I'ts in my library since 15.09.16, I don't like it right now... 

Varana

Varana

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Ah, didn't know that. :)

I backed it but haven't touched it, yet. I don't play any Early Access games.

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ah, didn't know that. :)I backed it but haven't touched it, yet. I don't play any Early Access games.

I've tried for several hours, but found it too raw to play.

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's something that was poorly, but implemented in Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir, so I thought something like that would be fine with Pillars.

Offtop: fig.co update a bit more baker effort for the sea monsters!

Well, i guess no one here would throw you to the pit for having such unfulfilled dreams. It's only natural. I have some, too. It must be the same for many others. I know it can be frustrating. But while it's possible to argue about design decisions at the current development stage, it's way more difficult when it comes to hard coded features like multiplayer. I guess all we all say is that having it in Pillars 2 is pretty much impossible for various reasons.

But Inxile decided to introduce co-op multi in Wasteland 3 since the very start. You should advocate for multiplayer being introduced in a future, more combat-oriented, more budgeted Pillars game. Inxile showed it's always allowed to dream. You should just chose the right moment to fight for multi :). I genuinely wish you good luck.
Wasteland 2 was ok, with several unpleasant bugs, still a nice game. But I've never played it after coming to LA. Weird - no willing to end the game. Wasteland 3 feels like Fallout: Tactics, and saying of which - MP experience was not interesting.

Edited by Nail, 21 March 2017 - 02:55 PM.

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I guess it's about <5% of overall Pillars players who would like duels.

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 607 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Personally I can only see this game lending itself for co-op at best, and even that is somewhat sketchy: the first game at least is a very personal story of the protagonist, and doesn't really lend itself to giving two players equal protagonism; on top of that, my personaly experience with RTwP combat especially in these latest Obsidian games is usually that of pausing every few *frames*, let alone seconds, meaning it would probably make for a very clumsy and annoying experience to play with another who may himself have the ability to pause and unpause at any given time. Were this a TB game there's a chance the first issue could be circumvented by a friendly agreement on "who should play the main character", but with the latter I just see no chance of this working.

And yes, Baldur's Gate did it, but its combat was much simpler and leisurely-paced, and to be honest the game simply didn't work all that well as a multiplayer experience. So yeah, with all that said, I would rather they dedicate the time on other things instead.

• illathid likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My singular memory of playing BGII back in the day in co-op multiplayer was sitting around waiting for everyone to finish outfitting themselves at the shops.

• FlintlockJazz, Messier-31, Nail and 2 others like this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My singular memory of playing BGII back in the day in co-op multiplayer was sitting around waiting for everyone to finish outfitting themselves at the shops.

The first time I ever played BGII multiplayer, it was with a group of friends who had already worked their way quite a way into the game and I was joining partway through.  Created my character, joined in, took a look at my inventory and was like "Wow, I got lots of gold!  Must be to help gear me out."  Immediately ran over to the shops and set about buying the best, most expensive weapons and armour I could find.  The concept of shared gold didn't cross my mind...

• Varana and JerekKruger like this

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Please don't throw rocks at me, but Dungeons and Dragons Online, last time I've played  (30.07.2011 :)) had (or has) great pvp mode.

I would love something like this in PoE II or any other Obsidian product that will be on same engine as PoE II (or better)

Also, it would be awesome if there will be character export / import option as we saw in BG1 - BG2.

For me that awesome experience to complete Baldur’s Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast with all nooks and crannies to make my perfect character for Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn.

I see the same potential for PoE II : Deadfire, at least the talents:

Blooded Hunter
Dozens Luck
Dungeon Delver / Wild Running
Effigy's Resentment (various options)
Flick of the Wrist
Gift from the Machine
Scale-Breaker
Second Skin / The Merciless Hand / Mob Justice
Song of the Heavens

It's very interesting how Obsidian will implement transition from PoE I to PoE II : Deadfire

If the keep is destroyed there is a possibility, that your items are gone with the keep, but what about talents...

Soul cleansing to wipe all of them or something like that?

Edited by Nail, 23 March 2017 - 03:07 AM.

Abel

Abel

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It's very interesting how Obsidian will implement transition from PoE I to PoE II : Deadfire

If the keep is destroyed there is a possibility, that your items are gone with the keep, but what about talents...

Soul cleansing to wipe all of them or something like that?

These talents are obtained through quests. Since you can export a complete save at the end of Pillars 1, and since Pillars 2 will put an emphasis on the consequences of the choices you made both in Pillars 1 and Pillars 2, i would be really surprised if these were not exported too. It would be a damn huge bummer, even though i don't plan to get the "evil" talents.

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1089 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

NWN has live realms I'm pretty sure you could do that there.

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1089 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd rather they make a spin-off to Pillars game based on multiplayer (co-op or competitive) than trying to squeeze it in the original game.

Pillars of Eternity: Tactics? I'd back that I think.

Hell, I'd love a single player Pillars Tactics game.  Something like Ogre Tactics with multiple parties moving in the world to accomplish strategic objectives.

amazeing4art

amazeing4art

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 32 posts
I have no interest in this game including PvP, and I think it would be a mistake for developers to include this and devote resources to it.

With multiclassing and 10 classes that is really something like (Sigma) 1-10 or in other words 1+2+3+4 ... +9+10 which is a total of 55 possible class choices (like Paladin/Wizard or Rogue/Barbarian or plain Chanter).

Trying to balance PVP so that all of these class choice possibilities are viable, if played correctly, against every other correctly played combo would be a nightmare. Either it would take enormous time and resources (if done right), or it would lead to a real dumbing down of builds and spell/ability combat mechanics if done the "quick way". Neither way would likely ever work well. And this is not even taking into account character levels, do we want it to also be balanced so that every level 10 build (if played correctly) has an equal chance against every other level 10 build? That would add another whole dimension of complexity.

The only way to do PvP in a game like this would be to ignore class balance and say things like... so what if every Wizard, Druid or Wizard/Druid can always kick every ranger's and rogue's ass with ease, every time? But then, what is the point of PvP? it would really not be much fun for the rangers and rogues, or the Ranger/Rogues, ever.

So that's a very strong No vote from me.

Edited by amazeing4art, 23 March 2017 - 07:14 PM.

• illathid likes this

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

NWN has live realms I'm pretty sure you could do that there.

The thing is I'm fond of what Josh Sawyer does, and PoE realm as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Duel, multiplayer, Deadfire, Character import, Character export

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users