REQUEST FOR DEVS - COMBAT REPLAY CAMERA WITHOUT PAUSE

What Do You guys think?

Imagine if as soon as you entered combat the game started recording the battle and after the battle finished you had the option of watching the battle again but without any pauses in it.

A recorded replay of the battle but without watching any of the pauses.

That would be awesome. Would be so quick and action packed.

• Like 2

Wouldn't you rather see the devs working on the game instead? Video capture software is sufficient for this.

Without pause

Yes, I know. Edit it. :p

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Wouldn't you rather see the devs working on the game instead? Video capture software is sufficient for this.

This.

There's no free lunch. While the idea itself is rather cool, my intuition is that this would not be an overly easy-to-implement feature. Recording, playback, storage of recordings, UI. People would clamour for controls (rewind, fast forward, ...) as well. Lots of effort for very specialized functionality. I just don't think the benefit outweighs the cost here.

Edited by Regggler
  • Like 2

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

This.

There's no free lunch. While the idea itself is rather cool, my intuition is that this would not be an overly easy-to-implement feature. Recording, playback, storage of recordings, UI. People would clamour for controls (rewind, fast forward, ...) as well. Lots of effort for very specialized functionality. I just don't think the benefit outweighs the cost here.

But when you think about it as it stands, eg pillars 1 technology, you can't even view a battle that has taken place because it is paused 90% of the time. I've never really realised that and now i have it just seems so strange that you can't watch a battle with no pause.

Would be like watching an action movie/ cartoon

While it's a cool idea and I'd probably use it a few times (mostly boss battles or after I messed up), the cost-reward argument is always in effect.  If it's easy to do, then sure.  If it's a lot of work, then no.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

What Do You guys think?

Imagine if as soon as you entered combat the game started recording the battle and after the battle finished you had the option of watching the battle again but without any pauses in it.

A recorded replay of the battle but without watching any of the pauses.

That would be awesome. Would be so quick and action packed.

Wonderful idea, which would take a lot of time to implement and which I would never ever use. :-D

• Like 1

A possibility that occurred to me is that a combat recording, storing only the actions and probability outcomes, could be useful for debugging and fine tuning of combat. I.e. they can tweak the parameters, rerun the combat record, play it forward for a bit, then take over at a certain stage of the combat.

Are CRPG battles ever that visually interesting? It usually looks like a bunch of figurines waving around sticks in the distance, and ignoring the positively riveting miss and deflection rolls, CRPG fights just aren't that dynamic. Unlike an action game (e.g. Rocket League, CS:GO, etc.) where minute movements can have drastically different consequences in any number of contexts, RTwP games are incredibly deterministic. Maybe it's just me, but the narrative of my fights aren't very exciting, i.e. either I used an optimal set of powers or I didn't. I can't recall a fight where I made a particularly cunning move or had a surprising turnaround. Either I steamroll, I get streamrolled, or I slowly go back and forth with an evenly matched foe casting my usual set of spells until someone (usually me) wins.

Pillars II might be getting snazzier animations, but even the coolest animations can't really save a completely straightforward fight from being boring, and I don't expect a CRPG to ever have the coolest animations.

Of course, I won't tell you what you find interesting. I just don't think there's a strong demand for the feature.

• Like 3

Are CRPG battles ever that visually interesting?

Only in Dragon Age Origins. They had some real nce animations there and it look like a real combat. I paused from times to times and moved/zoomed the camera at angles to take screenshots etc. Low budget games, yeah, not so good. Just good engough to "feel" like real combat when you look from afar.

It would be great if they can make combat "less pausing" for me personally.

Mmm. Well for me at least, what I do during pauses is the only interesting part of combat. Otherwise I might as well be watching a hockey game. :cat:

• Like 3

It would have been a much cooler idea if the game was 3D so that you could pause and rotate the camera during the replay. Like Dawn of War did. Of course I wouldn't object if they chose to include the option.

NO! Give up on the heresy of Pillars 3D! :down:

• Like 3

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!