Has money ever been an issue for you?

I come from a Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 background. In those games money was never an issue even if I didn't max appraisal or looted everything I came across I could still be rich. In this game I had the mentality of throwing money at everything as a way to solve a problem and found myself sort of in a financial pickle.

I'm still in Act 2 and doing all the side quests that I can. I'm just wondering if I can compensate for my careless spending later on in the game or that I should have prepared myself better in the beginning.

• Like 1

Usually I have so much money after Readric's Castle and two levels of the Endless Paths that I don't have to think about it at all for the rest of the playthrough.

The secret is: kill every hostile creature and sell all the loot you get. You don't need to sell unique stuff. Also sell traps and healing potions if you don't need them.

Usually Xaurips and especially the guards and paladins in Raedrics Castle drop so much stuff that you can sell that money shouldn't be an issue.

Spoiler ahead:

If you still lack cash after that you can choose to side with the Doemenel family and get 10k pands for assassinating a Crucible Knight.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That's what I thought when I first did the castle then I ended up doing stuff like spending 5,000 on freeing the slaves and 6,000 on that amulet quest with the prostitute.

Nice to know that I can compensate by going on the Endless Paths. I'm just waiting for the right level to do it from beginning to end. My character is good aligned and helped the Crucible Knights so I won't be doing any assassinating on them.

The first time I played, I got myself into the same pickle you did with a certain quest, especially because I'd been working on my keep at the same time. I still ended the game with far more money than I knew what to do with - enough that I'd almost consider it a small flaw in the game that it doesn't require any real resource management toward the end.

Edited by eselle28

Like almost every RPG, sadly, money ceases to be any kind of issue after the first few hours for most parties.

It's because you don't have to pay for food, water, a home, the doctor and clothing. Why would you buy clothing when everything you find automatically fits you? ;)

It would be really tedious to care and pay for those things in a RPG though.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

By the way, I think there's a bit of a balance issue here. Basically, anytime you storm a place crowded with people armed to the teeth (Raedric Castle, Skaenite temple, Rymmgrand palace etc) you walk away with an obnoxious amount of money.

For some reason in most RPGs gold is not a problem. In PoE it is also easy - just sell all the loot, kill things and get more loot, so then you will be rich. :) I would like it if gold was an issue here, makes the game more challenging.

For some reason in most RPGs gold is not a problem. In PoE it is also easy - just sell all the loot, kill things and get more loot, so then you will be rich. :) I would like it if gold was an issue here, makes the game more challenging.

Yes, and I don't really like that so much.

For instance, there is the easy way to reach Raedric in his castle, and basically only fight his court in a single boss fight (apart from a few isolated guards), but if you want some decent capital to start up your stronghold, you first need to slaughter all those soldiers of him, to collect the loot of their armour. This is not elegant.

• Like 1

I dont know i have never slaughtered raedric guards and you can still make off like a bandit once you complete the mission either way. Ye there is plenty of money, early i just keep it for enchantments and spells but once you get later in the game you get plenty of money for anything you want.

I'm late to the party and currently on my first PoE playthrough, normal difficulty, expert mode enabled, act 3 in the main story, stronghold fully upgraded since a long time, finished all of Endless Paths except for the Adra dragon, White March expansion(s) not even started yet, never sold any unique items and kept at least one of every exceptional/superb item. End result is over 120K gold in the bank right now plus potentially a lot more if I weeded out my stash and sold all the loot I will most likely never need again.

Money hasn't really ever been an issue in the whole game. There are a few shinies in stores (Defiance Bay) very early on in the game where you sometimes wish you had the cash or maybe you have the cash but you don't want to spend 90%+ of your money on an item that might soon be replaced by better loot but on a whole I would say that money has always been available in overabundance.

Personally I never had enough money because I like to switch many weapons/armors and use the best enchantments available on them (ingredients become very expensive).

This. SO MUCH THIS. Between constant enchantment upgrades, making scrolls, and brewing potions--not to mention having to buy ingredients for all of that because the game world simply *doesn't* generate enough, even *WITH* all the upgrades to the keep that give you free ingredients--I was consistently broke the whole damn time.

I never had much excess money in my last run including both DLCs except for 1 point in the game where I had 60k and nothing to spend on.

Basically in the beginning all the Stronghold Upgrades cost me money and later on I kept spending it on Potions and Ingredients..regarding selling stuff, I basically only kept around 15 items not in use (not including potions and consumables ofc.) throughout the game, so i really sold most of my stuff and still never turned up that big. I found handling money pretty alright, but then again I never had great interest in items in this game (sadly). I hope the sequel will have more standout items and less money so that you're not able to purchase literally everything ingame.

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

• 2 weeks later...

Money was an issue for me for the first couple of hours into every run. Past that, selling all the crap your enemies drop will pay for everything you need and then some. When making consummables, availability is a much bigger problem than money. You'll need to visit a lot of merchants to get the ingredients you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Early game you can't buy everything you want. The primary reason for this is you'll be investing in your keep and magic items are typically very expensive, with the less expensive stuff still being around 3k to 4k pands and the more desirable stuff like extra spell rings and weapons like Borresaine being around 10k+.

I typically only buy the less expensive upgrades in the keep in the early game and only buy key pieces of equipment. I then have all the money I need for things like rest bonuses, consumables, crafting materials, etc.

As time goes on money will stop being a problem. If you clear Readric's keep with a "kill 'em all" mentality then you'll clear tens of thousands of pands. Not all characters will want to complete that quest that way though.

Basically the economy was pretty well balanced in this game, you can't just buy whatever willy nilly and not expect to run out of money, at least if you are upgrading your keep. Even late game when you're rolling in money if you try and buy every single magic item you can go broke.

• 3 weeks later...

Money was a big issue for me early on, but that's because I go with the "create my own party via hiring adventurers and hire a new one any time one dies in a fight" model, which takes a large percentage of money to keep going towards the beginning. That was also when I was still buying up stronghold fortifications and such. After about halfway through the Endless Paths and having completed several other quests, Raedric's Hold included, that started to turn around. By the time I went for the White March (nearly finished with the main game) my party had so much money they couldn't have spent it all.

I think that's fairly typical, having some trouble affording the items that one wants and all in the beginning of the game but ending up with ridiculous quantities of money by the end; at least, that seems to be what usually happens to me in any RPG.

knightofchaoss.jpg

Speaking as someone who plays using quest-related handicaps over combat handicaps (basically, I challenge myself by limiting what I can do depending on the type of quest resolutions I want instead of something like soloing, for example... and if anyone has ever figured out how to get that cultist of Skaen at the Blood Sands to help you kill the Archdruid Rehstin of Ethik Nôl, please feel free to share) I can also say that even if you choose to minimize the number of people you kill at Raedric's Hold, and even if you decide to hire every major +prestige hireling by mid game (so that you're paying around ~2k worth of wages per cycle) you can STILL accumulate enough cash to buy practically whatever you want by end game as long as you don't waste days needlessly traveling between areas (this is the very worst thing you can do if you have hirelings).

Between quest rewards, stronghold taxes and loot from enemies who will try to kill you no matter what you do, you shouldn't even run out cash building Caed Nua structures.

Getting enough money (or the equivalent of it) in the early part of the game is likely true for just about every game out there for the simple reason that you're starting out at low resources. How easily and how fast you get beyond that varies from game to game.