THE FINAL MOST OVERPOWERED CLASS (BUILD) THREAD

I don't think it's "doubt", coming from someone whose spent 3k hours in this game testing build viability he has a fair bit of data to pull from.

You had enough time to argue the point multiple times, but not enough to do an encounter to prove your point. Seems odd. 

Ouch, who are you to argue? Shut up.

I don't think it's "doubt", coming from someone whose spent 3k hours in this game testing build viability he has a fair bit of data to pull from.

You had enough time to argue the point multiple times, but not enough to do an encounter to prove your point. Seems odd. 

Ouch, who are you to argue? Shut up.

just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

• Like 3

I obviously am doing something wrong, I have ZERO clue what you are talking about "Sitting back and watching everything BURN!!! 

That skill doesn't seem to do jack ****.  No AoE damage comes off my priest in anyway shape or form.

Which skill?

If you have a priest then try Inspiring & Aggrandizing Radiance + Minor Avatar + Devotions + Shining Beacon - one of the best AoE damage combos in the game. If you add Cleansing Flame after that it gets ridiculous. Sure, those spells come a bit later. Before that you are stuck with Iconic Projection and Pillar of Faith for AoE damage. But once you have Shining Beacon your priest has a very powerful AoE damage tool. Later you can add Storm of Holy Fire and stuff, too.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I obviously am doing something wrong, I have ZERO clue what you are talking about "Sitting back and watching everything BURN!!! 

That skill doesn't seem to do jack ****.  No AoE damage comes off my priest in anyway shape or form.

I think dannyboy is playing a differernt game and accidently posted on the wrong forum.

or he has only advanced to perhaps level 4

I feel sad for the rogue. That's my favourite character. Seems like traps are too much of an after thought. There could be some cool trap related skills for rogues to help fill in the lack of AoE damage, such as rogue triggered or delayed traps, never mind the inability to layout more than one at a time.

Joe

You could set more than one trap in the past. But it was too easy to abuse this and place like a hundret traps before a difficult encounter and then lure the enemies into it. So it got nerfed. Sadly, they forgot to buff the traps. Now traps you tap into (like Sunlance traps) can deal about 200 damage and upwards to you - but when you disarm them and use them for yourself they do like 20 dmg... wtf?  :facepalm: 

• Like 1

I don't mind a limit. Even Baldur's Gate had a limit. And maybe a limit of traps based on level of Rogue. There seems more reasonable ways to nerf traps than limiting to just one.

Well, anyway. It is unfortunate, but we work around it as best we can. Because, hey, it's just a game.

What is cool is, with Mechanics important for normal thieving skills, and anyone with Lore casting scrolls, and non-class weaponry (except for special cases), it's like we've had multi-classing all along!

Joe

Monks can be one of the best pure DPS classes out there, with plenty of control options and you throw them at the bottom of the pack. If I were a sport's media talking head I'd be throwing around words like "disgraceful, disgusting, ridiculous."

Monks are top tier in my opinion. I'm at work or else I'd link you to my build, but my monk literally walks up to enemies, hits 'em with a stun, and then punches the hell out of them until they explode. Max dex, high strength, with main monk talent and gear and lighting strikes my monk literally will sit there hitting for 70+ damage more than once per second.

Funny how different perceptions can be.

My experience (after 3345 gaming hours) is that rogues are the weakest class by far. 

So according to your perception, It means I got The Ultimate achievement in less than 10 hours run with the weakest class (by far) of the game ... /hurray !

• Like 1

Yes, indeed. It's a great achievement, no doubt. With the other classes it's easier to kill all dragons and bounties on PotD at lvl 16.   

Of course the rogue has some really nice tools that work very well in a ToI run: high stealth and especially mechanics and of course invisibility - which lets you level quickly without fighting much and prevents death when things don't turn out as they were supposed to. 

And if you can pull & split then a rogue is obviously a good choice because he's great in 1:1 situations. It's the 1:many where he falls behind.

I should have said: "If we talk about a 'headfirst' playstyle then the rogue is the weakest class". Depends on the definition of power/weakness I'd say.

Edited by Boeroer

I should have said: "If we talk about a 'headfirst' playstyle then the rogue is the weakest class". Depends on the definition of power/weakness I'd say.

I was making fun of it anyway. 

The thing is if you really wanted to know which one is the "best" class of this game, you should evaluate every situation and its occurence within the game and analyze performance of every class in these situations, compile all the data in an big excel file and set a ranking out of it to define which is the overall best one ! But I guess noone will ever take the time to do it :-. And still you can interpreter statics in many different ways. Maybe Obsidian is somehow using such kind of data in order to "balance" classes between each others.

So this thread is more about sharing the feeling of everyone about class efficiency more than a scientific evidences based paper !

I've been playing many different RPG games and usually picking up the rogue class. My overall feeling is the rogue class can be very weak on one hand and very strong on the other hand. Basically it is only very powerful at the moment they are locking and taking down a single target. At all other moments its usually quite weak, whenever we talk about PvE or PvP. But honestly that's why I find this class very fun to play, only intense moments, because you either kill someone very fast or die very fast  :no:

Edited by Wodjee

The thing is if you really wanted to know which one is the "best" class of this game, you should evaluate every situation and its occurence within the game and analyze performance of every class in these situations, compile all the data in an big excel file and set a ranking out of it to define which is the overall best one ! But I guess noone will ever take the time to do it :-. And still you can interpreter statics in many different ways. Maybe Obsidian is somehow using such kind of data in order to "balance" classes between each others.

Absolutely right. And because such an evaluatuon would be way to complicated (at least for me) I'm just judging by experience or "feeling". I have no real aversion whatsoever and try to be objective. Let's put it this way: With my playstyle the rogue is the weakest class. Followed by fighter and then ranger. Mostly because they lack AoE capabilites (CC, damage or support) which I'm very fond of. However, in certain situations they can the better pick (like fighter against dragons for example). 

• 2 weeks later...

- OMG Chanters suck have tried so many times to make them work but they just don't cut it for me. Dragon thrashed is good.

I love my tanking chanter. Once you hit level 9 they are a faceroll, especially if you have more than one in your party.

I love my tanking chanter. Once you hit level 9 they are a faceroll, especially if you have more than one in your party.

And still no Chanter build is "over-powered" as some people call it. With a single Chanter, it takes a lot of effort to eliminate the Drunken Orlan or a Mercenary Brawler, which are similar.

Edited by Belfaldurnik

And still no Chanter build is "over-powered" as some people call it. With a single Chanter, it takes a lot of effort to eliminate the Drunken Orlan or a Mercenary Brawler, which are similar.

Not really imo. 2x preservation items, get proned from Force of Anguish then Chant Dragon Thrashed while looking up from the floor with 200+ in all defences.

The most powerful Chanter build ever would be one that can sit down at will  :biggrin:

Not really imo. 2x preservation items, get proned from Force of Anguish then Chant Dragon Thrashed while looking up from the floor with 200+ in all defences.

1) There aren't many Preservation items that stack.

2) Hoping for an early Force of Anguish attack implies high risk because you would take various other hits.

Ring of Thorns (Endless Paths level 11) + Ilfan Bryfgar's Solice (Endless Paths level 5)/Little Saviour (Endless Paths level 15) should be very achievable before you come across nasty monk men.

Personally, I find that those guys use Force of Anguish/Prone so often that it wouldn't be much of a risk but each to their own I guess.

Spelled Little Savior and Ilfan Byrngar's Solace, btw, those shields.

Have you made personal solo Chanter experience on PotD mode with those fights and relying on getting Proned? Or is it purely theoretical talk? I've found the monks at Crägholdt to be quick punchers that do heavy damage while your chant takes time to hurt them and fuel them with wounds to hit you even faster.

Spelled Little Savior and Ilfan Byrngar's Solace, btw, those shields.

Have you made personal solo Chanter experience on PotD mode with those fights and relying on getting Proned? Or is it purely theoretical talk? I've found the monks at Crägholdt to be quick punchers that do heavy damage while your chant takes time to hurt them and fuel them with wounds to hit you even faster.

When I'm testing characters I usually fart around Cragholdt for a bit but no, I have to admit I don't have much extensive solo experience.

There is also the Black Sanctuary shield that you can use to cast withdraw on yourself and you'll chant while you're invincible, but that's probably more of an exploit that anything else. If you've got a priest a long then this is strategy that can be used (or abused) from level 1.

I have found in my many playthroughs that enemy PC Monks AI seems to be set to zooming towards the lowest deflection characters in range and landing Prone/Disables with any wounds that are available. Drunken Orlan is maybe more of a unique case, as if memory serves he used the Dichotomous Soul quite a lot. 

Withdraw in solo game is not working very well. The encounter will end because you are gone - and your withdraw spell will end, too. It works if you first put out some summons though. 

Preservation shield + preservation item (for example Blaidh Golan hide armor + Solace medium shield) work really well with a chanter. Sure, if you get stunned you won't recite phrases, but you will sing if you suffer from prone. And besides that, you get near untouchable with +100 to all defenses. Sometimes the bonus doesn't get applies properly though.

Maybe I will return to some more testing with two stacking Preservation items some time. Relying on them increases the risk too much in my opinion. Prone duration isn't long and afterwards you take quick hits again doing lots of damage. I've played a bit with Kaoto's monks in various ways and didn't notice any substantial safety from the +100 bonus to defenses, because most of the time you are not Prone.