I never finished Pillars of Eternity.

I actually have some problems finishing the game as well. I did twin elms after the white march 1 and 2 and thought the quality of twin elms was way worse that what I found at the white march. I have read some reviews complaining that the white march was just more of the same, but for me it was noticeable better than the than game.

Twin Elms actually seemed better on a subsequent play through. I think the change of pace following the Defiance Bay events may be throwing people off a bit -- that made the Twin Elms section feel anticlimactic. When I went through the White March after Defiance Bay, it made the pacing in Elms feel more like a pleasant interlude.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

But why is there this misconception? Might does what the in game description says it does. Makes you physically (and spiritually) strong and allows you to do intimidating displays and acts of brute force. Should their be surprise that having high intellect allows characters to solve problems?

Because people don't want mental and physical prowess to be tied to the same stat due to the disconnect it causes with reality. I think it has been said in different ways for quite a few times already in this thread alone. Might indeed works as designed, but people don't like the design in the first place so that point is moot.

When you say people, you mean some people.  Some people may not like it, some people actually like the consistency of a damage stat being all in one. 

That's exactly accurate. There's, what, ten people in here that care? Not even the majority of *this thread*. Let alone *this board*, which is only a tiny fragment of  PoE players.

*PEOPLE*, in general, really don't care. PoE players, in general, really don't care. Most of them don't bother to comment or remark, let alone go to a message board and complain about it repeatedly. Most people who have played PoE have never complained about Might, because most people who have played PoE--the vast majority of the over-one-million--don't care enough to do so.

Well, sorry. I did not bother to launch some kind of worldwide poll about it. But... I care. And looks like Ninjamestari or i are not alone in this case. I guess you did not bother to do a worldwide poll about might either. While Ninjamestari should not claim "people care", you probably should refrain from claiming "people don't care", too. I did not read the last few pages, but while it's hard to tell how many people care and how many don't care (which is pointless anyway), i still have a big problem with my tiny pale elf priestess being able to lift a truck barehanded. Which is, to me, one of the dumbest thing possible in a RPG. Period. She is not Luke Skywalker you know. "Might" is not ''that'' powerful in her family...

Anyway, about the thread's topic... I always felt the fact that all characters gain experience points at the same rate is a problem. One thing i loved about the old IE games was that while characters leveled slower, you had one of them leveling every now and then, which guaranteed you always had one of them being pretty close from a level up. In Pillars, you would kill a xaurip, and BING. All party gain a level at the same time. I would rather have them level up at different times, rather than having to take care of all of them at the same time. I used the console in my playthrough to tweak the experience gained by every character, in order to emulate this. I would not be bothered from having characters lvl 10 and others lvl 8. I guess the best for Pillars 1 would have been a max level of 9 with characters leveling up at different paces, and Pillars II starting with a lvl 9 Watcher. At least, in my opinion.

Edited by Abel

i still have a big problem with my tiny pale elf priestess being able to lift a truck barehanded.

Why did you create her that way then? Max out her INT and her PER instead and chuck the rest of your attribute points into whatever else you'd like. She's suddenly an extremely potent priest/wizard/cipher/chanter(?) that excels at support and crowd control. Most buffs/debuffs are way more powerful than spells directly influencing endurance anyway. Another thing that gets conveniently forgotten in "Might influencing spells" discussion is that Intellect also does that, and arguably in a much more essential fashion, as long as you're not playing a Druid. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

Anyway, about the thread's topic... I always felt the fact that all characters gain experience points at the same rate is a problem. One thing i loved about the old IE games was that while characters leveled slower, you had one of them leveling every now and then, which guaranteed you always had one of them being pretty close from a level up. In Pillars, you would kill a xaurip, and BING. All party gain a level at the same time. I would rather have them level up at different times, rather than having to take care of all of them at the same time. I used the console in my playthrough to tweak the experience gained by every character, in order to emulate this. I would not be bothered from having characters lvl 10 and others lvl 8. I guess the best for Pillars 1 would have been a max level of 9 with characters leveling up at different paces, and Pillars II starting with a lvl 9 Watcher. At least, in my opinion.

I switched out my companions so I never had this problem. I guess the question is if the average player does this.

i still have a big problem with my tiny pale elf priestess being able to lift a truck barehanded.

Why did you create her that way then? Max out her INT and her PER instead and chuck the rest of your attribute points into whatever else you'd like. She's suddenly an extremely potent priest/wizard/cipher/chanter(?) that excels at support and crowd control. Most buffs/debuffs are way more powerful than spells directly influencing endurance anyway. Another thing that gets conveniently forgotten in "Might influencing spells" discussion is that Intellect also does that, and arguably in a much more essential fashion, as long as you're not playing a Druid.

Actually, it's an eothasian priestess/fighter (or kind of, since she only has melee talents) played in hard difficulty. Her attributes are between 11 and 14 (no dump stat, no maxed one), 13 might (i would like her to have 8 strenght and 18 magical power for role reasons. So, i was confused and chose 13 as an unsatisfying in-between. I roleplay her a lot, writing a lengty diary of all she feels and experiments in her difficult journey, using the in-game journal (end of act 2, 206 hours)). In combat, i mostly use her as an off tank (i guess) rather than in a support role (spells are limited and i barely ever use camping supplies (especially in dungeons: i only use these outside dungeons when night fall and there is no inn to be found in the area), so melee is a good way to use her while sparing her spells for truly challenging encounters along the way). Would be better with low level single target melee buffs, like the ones in BG, though ^^.

I gave her 13 intellect for role reasons. 14 dexterity and perception. Her attribute statistics are pretty much in accordance to who she is. Aside from might... I could not find a way to deal with this problem. Regarding combat, my goal is to make the best of her sub optimal build. Even though she'll always be sub optimal in the end.

As you may have understood by now, my character is not all about role in combat. So, i don't really care if putting INT or PER and using her for crowd control would be more effective. I just want her to be the character i roleplay in her diary, and the character i wrote a lenghty background for. I use to write the background first, and to distribute afterwards her attributes accordingly Not the other way around (which is pretty obvious). And she should not have the strenght to use Nightshroud (which looks really heavy).

That's why. Might as it is may be a pretty effective ARPG gameplay thing. But i don't care. I never considered RPGs to be all about effective combat mechanics. I always expect my character's sheet to reflect the character itself rather than anything else.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

That's why. Might as it is may be a pretty effective ARPG gameplay thing. But i don't care. I never considered RPGs to be all about effective combat mechanics. I always expect my character's sheet to reflect to character itself rather than anything else.

All right, now I'm just confused. At character creation, you get X points to distribute in any way you see fit - there are absolutely no restrictions, aside from that you have to distribute all of them. If you don't want her to be strong, you just... Don't put those point into might, or even drop it slightly to make her weaker than average? And this will then be reflected in scripted interactions where she won't be able to pull off any feats based around might. And... That's exactly what you want, isn't it?

From what I can understand your only problem with the system is that there are no stat requirements on equipment, to which I can only say just... Well, don't use it if roleplaying is what you care about the most.

If there's something I always appreciated about system present in Pillars of Eternity, it's precisely that it allows me to design my character in any way that makes sense to me from RP perspective - and since there are no dump nor required attributes, that character will work, unless I make that character do things that go directly against those attributes (like a weak and fragile man donning full plate and standing at the front) - but regardless, if I want to roleplay an especially ambitious weak and fragile man that wants to don a full plat and stand at the front, there's nothing in the game that'd stop me from doing so.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

That's why. Might as it is may be a pretty effective ARPG gameplay thing. But i don't care. I never considered RPGs to be all about effective combat mechanics. I always expect my character's sheet to reflect to character itself rather than anything else.

All right, now I'm just confused. At character creation, you get X points to distribute in any way you see fit - there are absolutely no restrictions, aside from that you have to distribute all of them. If you don't want her to be strong, you just... Don't put those point into might, or even drop it slightly to make her weaker than average? And this will then be reflected in scripted interactions where she won't be able to pull off any feats based around might. And... That's exactly what you want, isn't it?

From what I can understand your only problem with the system is that there are no stat requirements on equipment, to which I can only say just... Well, don't use it if roleplaying is what you care about the most.

If there's something I always appreciated about system present in Pillars of Eternity, it's precisely that it allows me to design my character in any way that makes sense to me from RP perspective - and since there are no dump nor required attributes, that character will work, unless I make that character do things that go directly against those attributes (like a weak and fragile man donning full plate and standing at the front) - but regardless, if I want to roleplay an especially ambitious weak and fragile man that wants to don a full plat and stand at the front, there's nothing in the game that'd stop me from doing so.

Well, no that's not it. It would be a bother to explain the whole background of my character. But suffice to say that as a passionate Eothasian Priestess living in the White that Wends, she once heard about the story of the Saint's War. Her faith was huge and her disarray became huge accordingly. Which convinced her to smug aboard a ship en route for Dyrwood in order to find out the whereabouts of her shattered god. And everything she experienced from there just shook her to her deepest fundations. Because she is shocked by the differences in culture, because of what she learns from Eder or Durance, because she finds out she may lose her mind like Maerwald, because dead people come to speak with her, because she lives the death of others again and again, sees ghosts, and discovers that people can hang people on trees and let them rot just because, and so on... (which is the purpose of the in game journal. It helps me define how she will evolve, depending of the things she experiences, and how she will bear with them).

Magical Power finds its source in the soul. Since she has such a deep faith, and since the values Eothas always rerpresented are so much who she truly, deeply is, it would not make any sense to dump her magical power to me. Her faith is pretty much everything to her. In the same way that paladins gain powers from their convictions, you could tell that the deepest the convictions, the more powerful the power. She would not bother to go on such a perilous journey if her faith was shallow. There are 2 attributes that define magic (MIGHT and INT). And faith can't have anything to do with reason or intelligence for me. To me, INT is more like the talent to use this great power properly (defines AoE and duration). That's why i figured she should have a really high Might. But as i said, she can't have more than 8 strenght either. Because she is a female, she is a pale elf, and she lived in a kind of protected, secluded place ever until she secretly departed from her home. There is no way she could have more than 9 strenght. I don't really want stat requirements on items. I don't need requirements to define what she should/could wear or do.

The system of Pillars does not allow me to play the character i want in a roleplay perspective. It's the first time i find this problem in any iso RPG i played. This system is probably effective when it comes to statistics and combat mechanics, but to me, it does not make sense to have magical and physical strenght depending of the same attribute. It only makes sense that from a roleplay perspective, some characters will have strong magical powers and low strenght, or, on the contrary, some will have low magical powers but high strenght. I don't know who could argue about this simple point. They could say that they don't roleplay and as such, don't care. But it's a wholly different argument for a RolePlaying Game.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

Magical Power finds its source in the soul.

In the world of Eora, this claim is false.

All right, first of all, mechanically speaking: power of your character's magic depends on Might (direct effect on endurance), Intellect (direct effect on AoE and duration) and Perception (direct effect on Accuracy). So three stats you can use to form a character that'll have his/her magic much more powerful than the average. So it's not like you don't have a choice in writing any backstory you'd want around that considering half the attributes describe magical strength on Eora.

More importantly tho, you're fitting a square peg into a round hole. I like that you write your characters before beginning a serious play, it makes me feel less weird - thing is, before I start putting a lot of thought into who the character I wish to play is, I first put some effort into understanding how does the setting I'll be playing in actually function. And then I create characters that I believe could be interesting and fun to roleplay in terms of that setting. In terms of Eora, your priest woman who believes that power of her magic comes from strength of her soul would be like a silly little squire standing in front of a charging horse, believing his silly little shield is enough to protect him. In other words, she's about to find out how wrong she was in her beliefs. Which, incidentally, could also be a fun character to roleplay.

However, Eora is the first setting that actually allowed me to create an idiot whose inborn magic ability and great physical strength allowed him to become a rather formidable opponent that people don't particularly enjoy parleying with since his unpredictable nature may mean they'll get hit by lightning. That was fun, I never could really do that in an RPG.

At the end of the day, you're trying to create a character that bends natural laws of the setting that character exists in - which makes no sense from the perspective of the character you're roleplaying (unless said character still has a lot of illusions about how the world works) nor from the perspective of gameplay mechanics themselves. It's like I played DnD and said that I really wanted to create a really fit, powerful and durable fighter that also has really low strength, dexterity and constitution and then added that because this character won't work, attribute system is broken.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

But why? It's magic dude, there's no real world physics that says being swole won't increase the damage of your fireballs as much as being smart. Besides, you're describing a character with high Resolve aka willpower so why not boost that?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Wait, what? No. In Eora, this claim is manifestly true. Souls are real material objects that vary in strength, and training to use your soul power is what wizards, ciphers, and fighters *actually do*. That's *literally* how their powers work in the lore; magic power *comes from their souls*.

• Like 2

Wait, what? No. In Eora, this claim is manifestly true. Souls are real material objects that vary in strength, and training to use your soul power is what wizards, ciphers, and fighters *actually do*. That's *literally* how their powers work in the lore; magic power *comes from their souls*.

Read the rest of Abel's post please, it's fairly clear that he's talking about resolve moreso than anything else. Considering 'Soul' is ultimately described by the entire set of attributes in Pillars of Eternity, it wouldn't make much sense to me to tie it to a single attribute anyway - that's a big part of what I'm talking about, actually. Edited by Fenixp

All right, first of all, mechanically speaking: power of your character's magic depends on Might (direct effect on endurance), Intellect (direct effect on AoE and duration) and Perception (direct effect on Accuracy). So three stats you can use to form a character that'll have his/her magic much more powerful than the average. So it's not like you don't have a choice in writing any backstory you'd want around that considering half the attributes describe magical strength on Eora.

More importantly tho, you're fitting a square peg into a round hole. I like that you write your characters before beginning a serious play, it makes me feel less weird - thing is, before I start putting a lot of thought into who the character I wish to play is, I first put some effort into understanding how does the setting I'll be playing in actually function. And then I create characters that I believe could be interesting and fun to roleplay in terms of that setting. In terms of Eora, your priest woman who believes that power of her magic comes from strength of her soul would be like a silly little squire standing in front of a charging horse, believing his silly little shield is enough to protect him. In other words, she's about to find out how wrong she was in her beliefs. Which, incidentally, could also be a fun character to roleplay.

However, Eora is the first setting that actually allowed me to create an idiot whose inborn magic ability and great physical strength allowed him to become a rather formidable opponent that people don't particularly enjoy parleying with since his unpredictable nature may mean they'll get hit by lightning. That was fun, I never could really do that in an RPG.

At the end of the day, you're trying to create a character that bends natural laws of the setting that character exists in - which makes no sense from the perspective of the character you're roleplaying (unless said character still has a lot of illusions about how the world works) nor from the perspective of gameplay mechanics themselves. It's like I played DnD and said that I really wanted to create a really fit, powerful and durable fighter that also has really low strength, dexterity and constitution and then added that because this character won't work, attribute system is broken.

Well, i don't quite understand this whole post. I thought i spent more than enough hours reading about the lore of Eora before writting my background. My only concern was about the lack of details about the social organisation of pale elves in the White That Wends, which contrived me to be a bit creative with the lore of Pillars. Actually, it seems to me that when you speak about PER and magic, it's a mechanic matter more than a lore one. It's chance to hit. It does not influence the spell itself, unlike MIGHT and INT. Is it part of a setting, according to people here? I ask the question genuinely because to me it definitely isn't: it's part of a ruleset. But i guess it's just a detail.

Maybe what you guys are telling is "in the world of Eora Physical and Magical strenght are governed by the same thing, so if your character has great magical power, it has great strenght, regardless of it having muscles or not". Hum? sorry i can't process anything like that. It's too alien to me. I may lack of imagination? Hu?

I always could write my backgrounds and distribute my attribute points afterwards without a problem. Strenght, Dexterity, Luck, Charisma, Beauty, ... All this is pretty self explanatory i guess. I fail to see that with Pillars. Then is it my fault? How do you write a backrground with PER or MIGHT in mind? I use to start with race, country, backstory, beliefs, hopes for the future, goals, physical appearance and characteristics and so on... I never included or even considered any attribute statistics in my backgrounds. I just write the whole starting background of my character and determine what is fit attribute wise once i'm actually creating the character in the game.

Magic does not come from the soul? Hu? I was pretty sure it was the case. Like... I was absolutely positive it was stated in various places. Well, my character does not bother with this. But i have to in order to create it :).

Read the rest of Abel's post please, it's fairly clear that he's talking about resolve moreso than anything else. Considering 'Soul' is ultimately described by the entire set of attributes in Pillars of Eternity, it wouldn't make much sense to me to tie it to a single attribute anyway - that's a big part of what I'm talking about, actually.

You think priest's faith is about resolve? This would be of some help if it's true. But then, i would have a hard time figuring out why my priestess powers are so lame (9 might). Might definitely make spells more powerful if not more durable. If she has high resolve, she will have lame magic, despite her deep faith. That would imply that to have a powerful magic you need big muscles? gnu?

I'm lost.

Problem with Pillars of Eternity and its philosophy is that it's quite literally impossible to create a character whose 'soul' as it were was weaker or more powerful - Katarack21 put it quite correctly by saying that their soul is what both wizards and fighters would strive to improve as soul is a manifestation of one's entire being. ... But I'm far too tired to go deeper into that right now, so I won't.

The system Obsidian came up with is extremely flexible and allows for creation of some completely outlandish characters I never could really work with in, say, DnD-based games, and that's what I love it for - but, at the end of the day, you do have to agree to its rules first and foremost. If your (or anyone's for that matter) reaction to it would be "Magic is not entirely based on Intelligence? I don't like that, it should be based on Intelligence!" then sure - just as there's no reasonable explanation as to why should it rely on Intelligence, there's likewise no real precedent that tells us it should not. It's magic. It works magically.

Problem with Pillars of Eternity and its philosophy is that it's quite literally impossible to create a character whose 'soul' as it were was weaker or more powerful - Katarack21 put it quite correctly by saying that their soul is what both wizards and fighters would strive to improve as soul is a manifestation of one's entire being. ... But I'm far too tired to go deeper into that right now, so I won't.

The system Obsidian came up with is extremely flexible and allows for creation of some completely outlandish characters I never could really work with in, say, DnD-based games, and that's what I love it for - but, at the end of the day, you do have to agree to its rules first and foremost. If your (or anyone's for that matter) reaction to it would be "Magic is not entirely based on Intelligence? I don't like that, it should be based on Intelligence!" then sure - just as there's no reasonable explanation as to why should it rely on Intelligence, there's likewise no real precedent that tells us it should not. It's magic. It works magically.

I guess i will have to dig once more in the lore to understand all this. I was pretty sure i had grabbed the whole magic thing already. I don't care if magic rely only on intelligence or whatever, as long as it makes sense. Hope i will find my anwers on the wiki or in game.

Read the rest of Abel's post please, it's fairly clear that he's talking about resolve moreso than anything else. Considering 'Soul' is ultimately described by the entire set of attributes in Pillars of Eternity, it wouldn't make much sense to me to tie it to a single attribute anyway - that's a big part of what I'm talking about, actually.

Right, but they did. Whether it makes sense to you or not, they did. Might=the power of ones soul. You can be accurate, or you can be fast, but the power of your soul is measured by your Might. No other stat has an explicit soul-connection in the lore; Might is the only stat which Obsidian has explicitly linked to a measured state of the soul.

• Like 1

The in-game description of might is:

"Might represents a character's physical and spiritual strength, brute force as well as their ability to channel powerful magic. During interactions, it can be useful for intimidating displays and acts of brute force. In combat, it contributes to both Damage and Healing as well as the Fortitude defense."

To me it sounds one's spiritual strength used to channel magic is directly connected to physical strength, not power of the soul which I always interpreted to be character's level (thus souldraining in PoE 2)

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

The in-game description of might is:

"Might represents a character's physical and spiritual strength, brute force as well as their ability to channel powerful magic. During interactions, it can be useful for intimidating displays and acts of brute force. In combat, it contributes to both Damage and Healing as well as the Fortitude defense."

To me it sounds one's spiritual strength used to channel magic is directly connected to physical strength, not power of the soul which I always interpreted to be character's level (thus souldraining in PoE 2)

Little Padawan, if you want to have spiritual strenght, if you want to reach wisdom and resilience for your mind... Go lift some weight...

Gné?

Obviously, i don't understand this description you quote in the same way. I can't read anything explaining any link between physical and spiritual strenght. To me magical power (MIGHT) is more the ability to gather and use the power of the soul, since powers are granted by using the power of one's soul. Rather than the level, i feel like the strenght of the power (MIGHT) depends, for paladins, on the strenght of their convictions, for priests, it depends on the strenght of their faith, for others it depends on skill and training, and so on. I just can't fathom how spiritual strenght could be linked to the size of the muscles... The quality and strenght of the soul has nothing to do with muscles either. I understood the same things as Katarack. It only looks, to me, like they conveniently created one attribute governing all damages for the sake of efficient and easily balanceable combat mechanics, without any further thought about "how the hell...?"

Edited by Abel

might != strength. Being mighty does not mean you are a musclebound jock. Might is a a property of the mind and how one conducts oneself. You don't lift weights to cast a mighty fireball, you push the limits of your power/mind to make the fireball mighty.

A mighty warrior may have the drive to work, be strong, and excell physically, but a mighty nerd can be merely a nerd who wields the knowledge he has in a powerful way.

A mighty wizard in poe is the kind of guy who might set off a magic explosion and damn the consequences and collateral damage, but an intelligent wizard would hone less power into a  more precise area of effect. 

There are so many situations where this matters- a wizards' AOE spells are a big chunk of the toolkit, and a low int wizard high might wizard pretty much has to yolo it and blow up the melee sometimes to get the job done.

I'm just trying to help here. I don't do heavy RP but you can make this work if you let it, and you should try.

i'm sure there is. i'm only trying to tell people that might is not synonymous with physical strength the way everyone is assuming. when i put might into a caster i don't imagine him pumping iron, because that's really dumb and is a misunderstanding of what "might" means.

Google definition of might:

might2
mīt/
noun
noun: might
  1. great and impressive power or strength, especially of a nation, large organization, or natural force.

Edited by basic_hitler

might != strength. Being mighty does not mean you are a musclebound jock. Might is a a property of the mind and how one conducts oneself. You don't lift weights to cast a mighty fireball, you push the limits of your power/mind to make the fireball mighty.

Might in PoE isn't anything except a representation. One may choose to intepret it in a certain way, but it isn't defined as a specific physical property. I choose to interpret it as muscle power that serves as a magical capacitor; you choose to view it as a property of the mind. Either way works; they both could be wrong.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Guys, debating the lore is pointless. Whether or not the lore on Might is solid isn't the problem here.

With Might it all comes down to a very simple thing. You can't create a mentally powerful character without also making them physically strong. That's the issue. They eliminated the physically fragile but powerful spellcaster archetype completely. And the mentally lacking brute.

It's a design decision. And a bad one because it creates such controversy and is debated endlessly.

They might as well combine Dexterity and Intelligence and call it Prowess. Mental and physical skill conveniently as one. But that would be just as bad.

The whole purpose of the ability scores is to reflect the character the player has envisioned. Therefore, the stats can only represent one thing at a time to give the player complete control over their character.

Edited by 1varangian
  • Like 1

Guys, debating the lore is pointless. Whether or not the lore on Might is solid isn't the problem here.

With Might it all comes down to a very simple thing. You can't create a mentally powerful character without also making them physically strong. That's the issue. They eliminated the physically fragile but powerful spellcaster archetype completely. And the mentally lacking brute.

It's a design decision. And a bad one because it creates such controversy and is debated endlessly.

They might as well combine Dexterity and Intelligence and call it Prowess. Mental and physical skill conveniently as one. But that would be just as bad.

The whole purpose of the ability scores is to reflect the character the player has envisioned. Therefore, the stats can only represent one thing at a time to give the player complete control over their character.

Might is spiritual strength not mental. It still has issues, don't get me wrong but a low might high intellect character fills the first archetype you mentioned and high might low intellect the second.
  • Like 1