I never finished Pillars of Eternity.

I am not responsible for your irritation, and you do not have the right to determine what I can and cannot speak about just because some lines of thinking lead me to subjects you don't like. You being irritated is your own personal problem and doesn't give you any special powers to not treat others with respect. I'm not the one who keeps bringing this topic up again and again and again. If you don't wish to derail this thread further, then don't keep responding to non-topic issues. Being irritated is not a valid reason for bad behavior, and an adult person must recognize this. If you disagree with something I say, then do so in a respectable manner and share with me your reasoning. If you're afraid that your questions and arguments would generate drama and wish to avoid that, and you're truly interested in discussing it, then I'll be happy to exchange ideas via private messages.

Being irritated is not a valid reason for bad behavior.

How on earth am I behaving badly or treating others disrespectfully? I've merely criticized your behavior in polite language, as you've criticized others'. I've responded to an ongoing series of posts, as you have. I don't think disengagement here is necessary, but if you believe that it is, shouldn't it be you who ceases to respond?

I am not interested in PMing you or anyone else on this forum.

Edited by eselle28
  • Like 4

I am not responsible for your irritation, and you do not have the right to determine what I can and cannot speak about just because some lines of thinking lead me to subjects you don't like. You being irritated is your own personal problem and doesn't give you any special powers to not treat others with respect. I'm not the one who keeps bringing this topic up again and again and again. If you don't wish to derail this thread further, then don't keep responding to non-topic issues. Being irritated is not a valid reason for bad behavior, and an adult person must recognize this. If you disagree with something I say, then do so in a respectable manner and share with me your reasoning. If you're afraid that your questions and arguments would generate drama and wish to avoid that, and you're truly interested in discussing it, then I'll be happy to exchange ideas via private messages.

How on earth am I behaving badly or treating others disrespectfully? I've merely criticized your behavior in polite language, as you've criticized others'. I've responded to an ongoing series of posts, as you have. I don't think disengagement here is necessary, but if you believe that it is, shouldn't it be you who ceases to respond?

I wasn't referring to you specifically, perhaps I didn't clarify that well enough, but if you're not interested in having a discussion then don't keep talking. If me or my views are attacked and disputed, I am within my rights to defend them and I *will* respond.

Edited by Ninjamestari

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I wasn't referring to you specifically, perhaps I didn't clarify that well enough, but if you're not interested in having a discussion then don't keep talking. If me or my views are attacked and disputed, I am within my rights to defend them and I *will* respond.

But why won't you respond to me specifically, rather than only engaging with people who are speaking in inflammatory ways and then complaining about them being inflammatory? I've set forth my criticisms of your behavior. (I don't know anything about you personally, and the substance of your views on non-fictional life are of no interest to me, as my standpoint is that it's irrelevant unless tightly tied to gaming concerns).

It's fine enough to reserve the right to defend yourself, but if you do, it's a bit hypocritical to try to hush up the opposition by shooing them to non-responses and PMs.

But why won't you respond to me specifically, rather than only engaging with people who are speaking in inflammatory ways and then complaining about them being inflammatory? I've set forth my criticisms of your behavior. (I don't know anything about you personally, and the substance of your views on non-fictional life are of no interest to me, as my standpoint is that it's irrelevant unless tightly tied to gaming concerns).

It's fine enough to reserve the right to defend yourself, but if you do, it's a bit hypocritical to try to hush up the opposition by shooing them to non-responses and PMs.

I must have missed them, being occupied responding to these blatant attacks on my character so I hope you can forgive me that. It is not my intention to dismiss valid points or respectable criticism, but I am only a human and I can't always notice everything. As you can see I've been dealing with a lot of volume.

The one point you made on this page is about me talking about gender roles; what I have attempted to do is to explain the certain natural expectations people have when dealing with female characters, and the disconnect between what is presented by a game and the player's understanding of reality erodes the sense of immersion. I went into details about gender roles so that I could make specific points about games, such as it being important that the strong warrior woman is represented as an exception rather than the norm. Pallegina is a perfect example of this; her character design respects reality and thus she is one of the most engaging characters in the game. Our notions of reality are deeply interconnected with our ability to immerse into a piece of fiction, and since the disconnection people feel with the game causing them to not even finish it is a very strong theme on this thread, everything related to that is highly relevant. Gender roles obviously are only a small part of this, but it got blown out of proportions due to all this drama.

Again, I hope you forgive me for not noticing your arguments and giving them attention earlier. If I still missed something, feel free to remake your case. This subject matter interests me a lot and I'll be happy to discuss it.

Edited by Ninjamestari

I must have missed them, being occupied responding to these blatant attacks on my character so I hope you can forgive me that. It is not my intention to dismiss valid points or respectable criticism, but I am only a human and I can't always notice everything. As you can see I've been dealing with a lot of volume.

The one point you made on this page is about me talking about gender roles; what I have attempted to do is to explain the certain natural expectations people have when dealing with female characters, and the disconnect between what is presented by a game and the player's understanding of reality erodes the sense of immersion. I went into details about gender roles so that I could make specific points about games, such as it being important that the strong warrior woman is represented as an exception rather than the norm. Pallegina is a perfect example of this; her character design respects reality and thus she is one of the most engaging characters in the game. Our notions of reality are deeply interconnected with our ability to immerse into a piece of fiction, and since the disconnection people feel with the game causing them to not even finish it is a very strong theme on this thread, everything related to that is highly relevant. Gender roles obviously are only a small part of this, but it got blown out of proportions due to all this drama.

Again, I hope you forgive me for not noticing your arguments and giving them attention earlier. If I still missed something, feel free to remake your case. This subject matter interests me a lot and I'll be happy to discuss it.

Through the wonders of the internet, they are easily found by scrolling back to the last page. For easy identification, look for the picture of the cat!

As I have mentioned before, my primary objection is to your "aside" earlier. I am not particularly enamored of your views of gender and gaming, but I think you have some reasonable and well-made points. I do think that some of them might be better condensed in a thread on that particular subject rather than spread out, but it's not a strong objection. The point where it became a problem with me was where you decided to devote a long paragraph to your views on what makes women who aren't video game characters happy. It's off topic. It's anecdotal. It's completely unnecessary to make any of your gaming related points. Every culture that's existed has had practices that weren't particularly conducive toward happiness. I don't think it would impede you from making any gaming-related arguments to leave observations about the way you think life should be lead in reality in 2017 to the side, or to the parts of the forum specifically dedicated to those discussions. I do it, and I think everyone here is the happier for not hearing my Daylight Saving Time rants.

Edited by eselle28
  • Like 3

Just leave your politics out of the board. They don't belong here. Don't rant about gender equality, don't go off about SJW's, don't bitch about other peoples views on equality. Just talk about game mechanics and characterization.

Look, I'm *crazy* far left. You can tell that. But I don't go off on tangents about how Grieving Mother represents the game designers suppressed liberal guilt for abandoning the pursuit of aid for the foster system in order to focus on other goals.

Is it relevant? I could argue that it is. I could use your argument and others. But I don't, because this is a video game forum and politics don't belong here. Especially your rant about about the end of civilization because women have to breed; none of that had **** to do with video games, it was just a bunch of your political opinions. None of that belongs here.

Politics belongs in Off Topic. SJW stuff belongs in Off Topic. You want to see if it works in this forum? Start a thread; see if it's popular, if it get's shut down, etc. I'll stay the hell out of it, because I want nothing to do with politics.

• Like 1

While writing another post on another thread, i remembered one more thing that may be a cause of me not finishing this game. It's about items. I struggle quite a lot with equipment. I will use the examples i took in this other post.

I have a hard time finding a good way to equip my characters. I think the first reason of that, is that many items don"t have a clear focus. As an illustration of what i mean, if you take Carsomyr, from BG2, you could tell that the weapon was useful for dealing damages and dispelling effects on evil targets. While, in, Pillars, if i find an axe (which has bonus critical damage) with 20% hits to crit, i may want to use this ability that improves my critical hits. But if i find an axe with the marking attribute, it's not the same story. Many items in Pillars have several different enchantments that don't synergies well with each other, making hard to grasp what the item is actually useful for. While it would be ok for some items to be like this, i feel that it's the norm in the game more than the exception.

The non-stacking rules adds to this problem for me. While a few overlaps may involve some interesting sense of choices in order to balance the equipment of a character, in Pillars, it just gives me headaches. Everything overlaps with everything, and while the mechanic about things that don't overlap is well explained, reality often contradicts these rules (especially when it comes to abilities: it's a mess. I still don"t understand anything about galant's focus' overlap rules). If i find gloves that add 2 might, 1 cons, and boots that add 2 cons, 1 res, what should i do? Take this cape granting 3 might and lookfor something else as gloves and boots? But how will i make sure that the 3 might don't overlap bonus on other items? It puzzled me. And since it's hard to have a clear idea of the usefulness of an item, it makes things even harder.

At one point, i sighed when i found new magical items because i knew i would have to spent 1 hour figuring out what i should do without even finding the answer.

To sum it up: lack of clear focus of items that would help figuring out their usefulness (generally speaking or for specific tasks); unclear overlap rules due to poor tooltips; waaaaaayyyy too many overlaps on items, and even at times, several possible overlaps on the same item.

That goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 5

While writing another post on another thread, i remembered one more thing that may be a cause of me not finishing this game. It's about items. I struggle quite a lot with equipment. I will use the examples i took in this other post.

I have a hard time finding a good way to equip my characters. I think the first reason of that, is that many items don"t have a clear focus. As an illustration of what i mean, if you take Carsomyr, from BG2, you could tell that the weapon was useful for dealing damages and dispelling effects on evil targets. While, in, Pillars, if i find an axe (which has bonus critical damage) with 20% hits to crit, i may want to use this ability that improves my critical hits. But if i find an axe with the marking attribute, it's not the same story. Many items in Pillars have several different enchantments that don't synergies well with each other, making hard to grasp what the item is actually useful for. While it would be ok for some items to be like this, i feel that it's the norm in the game more than the exception.

The non-stacking rules adds to this problem for me. While a few overlaps may involve some interesting sense of choices in order to balance the equipment of a character, in Pillars, it just gives me headaches. Everything overlaps with everything, and while the mechanic about things that don't overlap is well explained, reality often contradicts these rules (especially when it comes to abilities: it's a mess. I still don"t understand anything about galant's focus' overlap rules). If i find gloves that add 2 might, 1 cons, and boots that ass 2 cons, 1 res, what should i do? Take this cape granting 3 might and looking for something else for gloves and boots? But how will i make sure that the 3 might don't overlap bonus on other items? It puzzled me. And since it's hard to have a clear idea of the usefulness of an item, it makes things even harder.

At one point, i sighed when i found new magical items because i knew i would have to spent 1 hour figuring out what i should do without even finding the answer.

To sum it up: lack of clear focus of items that would help figuring out their usefulness (generally speaking or for specific tasks); unclear overlap rules due to poor tooltips; waaaaaayyyy too many overlaps on items, and even at times, several possible overlaps on the same item.

That goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Good news then, Obsidian stated they would get rid of attribute bonus suppression. This should also get rid of some of your (very valid) concerns with itemization. They also said they are aware of a lack of clear communication regarding the ruleset.

• Like 1

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Through the wonders of the internet, they are easily found by scrolling back to the last page. For easy identification, look for the picture of the cat!

As I have mentioned before, my primary objection is to your "aside" earlier. I am not particularly enamored of your views of gender and gaming, but I think you have some reasonable and well-made points. I do think that some of them might be better condensed in a thread on that particular subject rather than spread out, but it's not a strong objection. The point where it became a problem with me was where you decided to devote a long paragraph to your views on what makes women who aren't video game characters happy. It's off topic. It's anecdotal. It's completely unnecessary to make any of your gaming related points. Every culture that's existed has had practices that weren't particularly conducive toward happiness. I don't think it would impede you from making any gaming-related arguments to leave observations about the way you think life should be lead in reality in 2017 to the side, or to the parts of the forum specifically dedicated to those discussions. I do it, and I think everyone here is the happier for not hearing my Daylight Saving Time rants.

Everybody goes on side rants every now and then, and those side-rants don't get any real attention. This subject matter doesn't really deserve any special treatment; the reason I went on that rant was simply to bring out another viewpoint for a person in a relationship, I thought the viewpoint might be useful so I shared it. And I don't make observations about how life should be, I don't think any mortal can really claim that sort of wisdom, I make observations on how things *are*. I have noticed a trend that women tend to be happier in feminine roles and women who seek to fill a masculine role tend to become nervous wrecks, it is an observation. I'm not saying that *all* women should *always* take on feminine roles *or else*, and I think assuming that is quite ludicrous. I seriously hope I don't come of as someone stupid enough to think in black and white. Nevertheless it is a trend worth noticing. But I'm going off rails again so let's leave it at that.

And if I'm completely honest, I wouldn't mind hearing people rant a bit more, I've found that people bring out their most interesting ideas and thought patterns during those rants, and I would never judge someone for slipping out a rant every now and then, as long as it is made in good enough taste of course. Listening to someone's rants gives me insight into how their mind works, which lets me better device a communication strategy that will lead to a more productive and efficient exchange of ideas, so while everything is best done in moderation, don't be afraid of slipping out a little rant every now and then. At least you don't have to worry about that with me, even if the rant is slightly off-topic.

• Like 1

Is it relevant? I could argue that it is. I could use your argument and others. But I don't, because this is a video game forum and politics don't belong here. Especially your rant about about the end of civilization because women have to breed; none of that had **** to do with video games, it was just a bunch of your political opinions. None of that belongs here.

I have to disagree with you on that, this whole grieving mother thing could be a very interesting discussion.

Everybody goes on side rants every now and then, and those side-rants don't get any real attention. This subject matter doesn't really deserve any special treatment; the reason I went on that rant was simply to bring out another viewpoint for a person in a relationship, I thought the viewpoint might be useful so I shared it. And I don't make observations about how life should be, I don't think any mortal can really claim that sort of wisdom, I make observations on how things *are*. I have noticed a trend that women tend to be happier in feminine roles and women who seek to fill a masculine role tend to become nervous wrecks, it is an observation. I'm not saying that *all* women should *always* take on feminine roles *or else*, and I think assuming that is quite ludicrous. I seriously hope I don't come of as someone stupid enough to think in black and white. Nevertheless it is a trend worth noticing. But I'm going off rails again so let's leave it at that.

And if I'm completely honest, I wouldn't mind hearing people rant a bit more, I've found that people bring out their most interesting ideas and thought patterns during those rants, and I would never judge someone for slipping out a rant every now and then, as long as it is made in good enough taste of course. Listening to someone's rants gives me insight into how their mind works, which lets me better device a communication strategy that will lead to a more productive and efficient exchange of ideas, so while everything is best done in moderation, don't be afraid of slipping out a little rant every now and then. At least you don't have to worry about that with me, even if the rant is slightly off-topic.

Everyone does go on side rants from time to time! But sometimes people let them go when they see others aren't enjoying them! And the next time I read observations on how things *are* I suspect I will annotate them with my stories of men who beg for cuckolding and strapons. I'm not saying that *all* men should *always* take on submissive roles *or else*, and I think assuming that is quite ludicrous. I seriously hope I don't come of as someone stupid enough to think in black and white. Nevertheless it is a trend worth noticing. But I'm going off rails again so let's leave it at that.

• Like 2

Ah yes, the ole "one last thing" and "Ill say the same things but backwards!". :facepalm:

All opinions are welcome, whether others agree or not, as long as they are within the forum rules. We ask that posters try to get along and if a topic becomes too charged for you to participate in a civilized manner, then to step away and/or use the tools at your disposal to fix the problem. :yes:

• Like 3

Everyone does go on side rants from time to time! But sometimes people let them go when they see others aren't enjoying them! And the next time I read observations on how things *are* I suspect I will annotate them with my stories of men who beg for cuckolding and strapons. I'm not saying that *all* men should *always* take on submissive roles *or else*, and I think assuming that is quite ludicrous. I seriously hope I don't come of as someone stupid enough to think in black and white. Nevertheless it is a trend worth noticing. But I'm going off rails again so let's leave it at that.

Whether or not people enjoy what I say is not my responsibility. I speak of things that interest me and I strive to do so in a rational and reasonable manner. And as far as your slightly provocative (notice that provocative doesn't necessarily mean bad) counter example goes, yes, there are men like that, and denying their existence isn't beneficial to anyone. People who form a group define the group, but the group does not necessarily define the people belonging to that group. If you identify too strongly with general groupings like gender or a political group, you'll just render yourself incapable of ever truly understanding those groups.

Ah yes, the ole "one last thing" and "Ill say the same things but backwards!". :facepalm:

All opinions are welcome, whether others agree or not, as long as they are within the forum rules. We ask that posters try to get along and if a topic becomes too charged for you participate in a civilized manner, then to step away and/or use the tools at your disposal to fix the problem. :yes:

So that's where you step in and what matters to you, after all the many offensive things that have been said. Okay then.

• Like 1

SO, SOMEONE DIDN'T FINISH PILLARS, EH?

I didn't finish D:OS, was so hyped to play it, but couldn't even finish the first map (Cyseal). Maybe I'll give it a go again sometime, but to be honest I'm replaying Pillars now, because that's how awesome this game is for me. Yeah.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 7

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I didn't finish D:OS, was so hyped to play it, but couldn't even finish the first map (Cyseal). Maybe I'll give it a go again sometime, but to be honest I'm replaying Pillars now, because that's how awesome this game is for me. Yeah.

Smooth :)

D:OS gets a lot tighter after Cyseal, which really was "a bit of" a slog. I have to admit I didn't get through the whole game, either, but I did have a lot of fun at later chapters, and even in Cyseal once I got used to the pacing. But hey, I managed to read the whole of the Silmarillion, too, so I might just have high pain tolerance.

Replaying Pillars at the moment as well. No pain tolerance needed, in my case.

• Like 1

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

So that's where you step in and what matters to you, after all the many offensive things that have been said. Okay then.

You don't even know what you don't know. These matters are being discussed in the background and posters have been contacted. Other posters dropping their two cents, for several pages, doesn't affect anything. Again, please make use of the Ignore or Report functions if you have a concern. Barfing into the thread accomplishes nothing.

• Like 1

@Ninjamestari

I'm too lazy to follow or think much about RL politics but I hate extremists either way. That said I don't see the influences of extreme views on Pillars.(Where as just glancing at Mass Effect: Andromeda waters my eyes with that shiny glossy frostbite x extreme agendas)

Josh seems to be a leftist but I don't think/don't see his views affecting his work much. I think he created this system out of necessity, rather than for equality. He says he watched too many people wanting to enjoy IE games but somehow failing to do so, he wanted to create a system which is easy to get into and hard to master, whether he succeeded or not is another matter. I am one of those people who couldn't enjoy IE games, I tried several times but they are too hard to get into and require too much pre-knowledge or maybe I'm too lazy etc. so I perfectly understand why he did it and at least it worked on me; I had no problem getting into Pillars, I had other problems with the game which are more related to this thread that I wrote about 2 years ago: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77376-why-is-everything-in-this-game-so-bland/

He created the system that you accuse of being created out of equality agenda and also wrote Pallegina that you give as an example how it should be handled.

He seems to be more interested in and talks about magic classes most of the time but when I played the game I saw melee classes are just as much fleshed out, thankfully. 

etc etc. Overall very BALANCED dude :)

and watch your steps or else:

12nksd.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah. It looks like a cool game but it just slows down at that point and RL stuff gets in the way of playing video games. I'm just now replaying Pillars for the first time and it seems a lot smoother than before. Maybe I'll quit after the riot but so far I'm enjoying myself.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You're not required to boost strength on your Watcheresses. You can dump Might all you want if that floats your boat ... err, "enhances your immersion".

Sure, that's disadvantageous for a mage in Pillars. But really, just generally, I wish people would sometimes get off those same old tropes. "Wizards have to frail 'cause reasons"*, "no gunpowder in my fantasy world!", "dwarves have to like beer and axes and hate horses and elves!", and all that stuff.

For a genre that is named for fantasy, Fantasy's pretty devoid of fantasy. Knights in shining armour, *yawn*. (Or its modern incarnation, knights in dirty armour.) There's so much more than just "we pretend to be Western European Middle Ages" that is your typical fantasy stuff.

* Granted, PoE is pretty inconsistent on that front.

Edit: Ah, yeah, topic.

I finished PoE, and people really should give White March a shot.

Edited by Varana
  • Like 5

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I finished PoE once, but keep getting delayed in starting a new PoE + White March game by other games.  Hopefully I'll get at least one complete run through the game and both expansions before PoE2 comes out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man