Mass Effect Andromeda

213374U

Strong shooter mechanics could make me overcome most things. A weak makeaface in the character generator and the terrible animations. Maybe not though, and there is not going to be be as much glorious ME shlock either iif it's going to be so combat intensive. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Also there's no cover button. Fluid cover... nahh I've never seen that done well, but it's good that they have at least moved out of the cover based shooter trope. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The quality of the game will be visible already a long time before any official "full release" (if such a thing will ever happen anyway, as they are currently are just rolling out updates every once in a while).

Squadron 42 on the other hand, that's going to be interesting.

Truth told, the stuff going on with Andromeda now doesn't really surprise me. They didn't really presented a lot of the game before, and that's usually a sign of the publisher trying to hide things.

Oh don't mean that the game will be a gong show, just in terms of people wanting to pounce and tear into it as the release nears.

I still kind of hope Star Citizen is a disaster, but that's just spite for the...special fans it has.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

my immediate impression was that Mass Effect just turned into a zombie horror game.

About half of the first game's quests involved zombies of one kind of another, so really nothing new

I think that comment was more a reference to how those faces might provoke a "Jesus! F***! Kill it with fire!" reaction in those when first confronting them.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

NOT SO MODEL BEHAVIOUR Bioware accused of deliberately making Mass Effect: Andromeda female characters ‘ugly’:

Fans have accused game developer Bioware of making all its female characters “ugly”.  Several have pointed out that the women in Mass Effect: Andromeda appear less attractive than the models they are based on.

But male characters look just as dashing as their real-life inspiration, it appears.

In the game, you can play as a male or female version of the same character, Ryder.

But the Bioware fansite Biofan points out that actress Jayde Rossi, who gave her likeness to the protagonist, looks quite different to her.

On the other hand, model Steven Brewiss looks almost identical.

Edited by ktchong

"So the game isn't even out yet but you can already assure us that it's a "bad, poorly made game" and "a new low point for Bioware"?"

It is up to EA/nu BIO to convince us that the game is worth playing and buying. They have failed to do that. It looks awful. PERIOD.

Whether you are convinced by the marketing is a wholly different matter. Looks to me that, for the first time ever, you aren't, and it shows.

The game may be bad alright (mediocre is the vibe I've been getting, personally), but it won't be as bad as the collective circle-jerk makes it out to be, that's simply not possible. It's rather amusing to watch, really. It's as if all these people suddenly forgot the frequently cringe-worthy dialogue of previous ME titles, the Shepard Rape Face meme and the fact that he literally limps his way through the whole of ME2 -- not to mention the really bad bugs and ****ty consolified UI that plagued previous installments.

If I didn't know how the bandwagon mentality works, I'd be tempted to think that it's a directed thing.

But hey, I'm not here to piss in your corn flakes. You want to hate on a game you haven't even played? Have at it.

Well, I guess it's more fun to be negative on a game you never plan to play than to have just a measured or neutral reaction. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

NOT SO MODEL BEHAVIOUR Bioware accused of deliberately making Mass Effect: Andromeda female characters ‘ugly’:

Fans have accused game developer Bioware of making all its female characters “ugly”.  Several have pointed out that the women in Mass Effect: Andromeda appear less attractive than the models they are based on.

But male characters look just as dashing as their real-life inspiration, it appears.

In the game, you can play as a male or female version of the same character, Ryder.

But the Bioware fansite Biofan points out that actress Jayde Rossi, who gave her likeness to the protagonist, looks quite different to her.

On the other hand, model Steven Brewiss looks almost identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StPjtfj-38s

Well, now we know where luzi's gotten to.

edit:

Spoilered the videos to make the post more readable.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Come on now, don't link to the Sun.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

my immediate impression was that Mass Effect just turned into a zombie horror game.

About half of the first game's quests involved zombies of one kind of another, so really nothing new

I think that comment was more a reference to how those faces might provoke a "Jesus! F***! Kill it with fire!" reaction in those when first confronting them.

She was supposed to be a living, human NPC but she looked like a cheesy zombie.

Well, the Sun's article does have a point: the female characters in Mass Effect: Andromeda is ugly.

IMO, BioWare seems to be pushing some kind of "ugly (women) acceptance" agenda.  Which is not entirely impossible because feminists and SJW have been pushing the "fat (women) acceptance" agenda for about a decade now.  The "ugly (women) acceptance" is the natural extension of fat acceptance.

Nowadays, BioWare seems to be more concerned with pushing some social justice agenda rather than making good games.

Edited by ktchong

Well, I know I won;t be buying the game. Shooters are not in my alley that much. The entertainment art is supposed to be eye pleasing. Do we get  "ugly" actress for main roles of blockbusters in Hollywood? Fashion magazines? etc?

The whole outlook in Bioware game changed. Even the "male" protagonist model looks like a hipster on a lost trek to his coffee shop...

(and then women cry that there are no real men out there)

Edited by Darkpriest

One thing that's somewhat disappointing is the music. Don't get me wrong, the music itself is quite decent in itself, however it is very subdued and understated and is very much minor background rather than sweeping space opera exploration.

It doesn't quite have the emotional kick/carry off that the music from the ME trilogy have.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

One thing that's somewhat disappointing is the music. Don't get me wrong, the music itself is quite decent in itself, however it is very subdued and understated and is very much minor background rather than sweeping space opera exploration.

It doesn't quite have the emotional kick/carry off that the music from the ME trilogy have.

ME3 had some music problems, too - probably owing to the departure of their lead composer, which lead to them recycling tracks from previous games.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Was on the planet after Eos when I started getting some game integrity tamper error which keeps killing my game. Verifying all the files now and hoping that fixes that.

I've also just got my first quests of gather 20 elf root and 16 coal or whatever.

Solved murder mystery quest but the only options are to let the murder charge stand or let the guy go. I guess attempted murder isn't an actual crime in the future

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I just realized how dumb the Andromeda initiative is; they send millions of beings into a new galaxy that hasn't been recon by a forward team and hope for the best. Is overpopulation such a big deal that they just decided "Sure, lets shoot people to unknown space where we haven't even established a colony."

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I just realized how dumb the Andromeda initiative is; they send millions of beings into a new galaxy that hasn't been recon by a forward team and hope for the best. Is overpopulation such a big deal that they just decided "Sure, lets shoot people to unknown space where we haven't even established a colony."

That's what I meant when I said that the premise didn't make sense. The initiative makes as much sense as a suicide cult. At one point someone on the Nexus said something about receiving later new colonist and I laughed involuntarily. (First time I laughed at anything in the game.)

The best thing about Mass Defect: Androgynous is all the memes and satirical videos that are coming out...

P.S. Mass Defect is currently mediocre 75%-78% at Metacritic.... a BioWare game being hammered by the critics. 

Edited by ktchong

if it wasn't for EA's money it would probably be about 10% lower. most reviews i've seen so far feel like the reviewer is struggling to make some things look good to justify his inflated score.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

if it wasn't for EA's money it would probably be about 10% lower. most reviews i've seen so far feel like the reviewer is struggling to make some things look good to justify his inflated score.

Yeah, when I read the Swedish PCGamer review I expected something in the area of 60-70 but definetly not 84%. A theory that I worked up though is that since the reviewer has bad hearing he spent more time reading the subtitles rather than seeing the horrid facial animations.

Does anyone know if the day 1 patch fixed any of the animations?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I still went ahead and picked up a copy of the game (and technically I might have used VPN to start playing it Tuesday rather than wait till Thursday for the UK release).  Picked up from where I'd run through on the trial play and carried on.

I'm going to say outright that there are issues with it, it's got a fair few niggling flaws in the background, but it's also got a handful of interesting concepts and attempts. For what it is, I'm enjoying it and can see it being value for money. The main issue is that it doesn't actually feel like an AAA game, which is definitely at variance with the hype train they had running for the past year. It's the odd little flaws, and the lack of polish that seem to set this apart from previous Bioware games (heh, it does have a certain Bethesda feel to it in that matter). There's a few odd triggers that click in unexpectedly - you meet a companion npc on a planet and are obviously intended to complete that story branch that has them join you before returning to the ship, because if you return to the ship before they join you.. you can still end up overhearing that companion who isn't even on the ship having conversations with your other companions.

There is some fun dialogue and some god-awful ropey dialogue. The animation is.. what it is, and there do seem to be a bit of awkwardness with texture popping with characters. The planets and backgrounds are gorgeous and lush. The music, while not bad on its own is very subdued and unlike previous ME games, they don't seem to use it to add emphasis to any emotional moments. There's no really soaring tunes to carry you along when you step forth onto a new world, or suggest the beginnings of action.

But what is there is decent , standard action-rpg wander around and do stuff and explore lore, shoot things and talk to people. I'm wondering if it'll really open up once you've gotten the initial Angara thing dealt with. They talked much about the open exploratory nature, but so far it's still been fairly constrained in where you go. And the fact that 15 hours into a game and they're still introducing new gameplay mechanics does make you wonder on the pacing - but then it makes a certain sense that you're not going to deal with colony/outpost expansion until a point you can start establishing them.

The return to Eos after some time has passed and seeing how it's changed in that time, and how some of your earlier decisions have shaped it is nice, so I'll be looking forward to seeing how well that carries on in the future and with any other colonies established.

All in all, it's going to be an interesting journey as this game goes along. I'm pretty much expecting a lot of unpolished diamond and rough edges but to still be entertained as I ignore the occasional jarring animation and odd glitch.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm hoping for a day where BioWare be becomes self-aware and elfroot becomes the standard currency in all its games. You will have to gather elfroot in all their games, regardless of setting. Plus, they change BioWare Points, or whatever it is, to elfroot so you have to buy elfroot IRL with real money then use the elfroot to ger DLC.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks