I recently tried to play as ranger, but I found what I consider to be a detrimental factor in its balancing, other than in the fun playing it.

Or you develop Ranged abilities Or you take pet's ones. Mixing is unsatisfying in my experience.

Now, my frustration comes from the fact that the pet IS a second character, I am forced to keep it but its death cripples my Ranger performance.

Therefore to augment its functionality and survive-ability I must devolve the points gained from levelling up on said improvements. This result in a very boring Ranger.

If instead I decide to strengthen my Ranger, then the pet becomes much of a burden and more frustrating than fun.

I've been pondering a lot about it, and I honestly think that the "pet only" abilities (like DR reduction, knock-down, or damage boost) should be automatically unlocked upon levelling up much as the priest spells do.

Another way to do it would be to allow me to level up my animal companion independently (separate pet XP).

In this way I would still have some chance to learn some new abilities and to progress my Ranger ranged proper development.

I feel this change should be implemented by Obsidian, but since probably it won't happen, I would like to know if anybody could Mod it according my suggestion, or teach me how to do it myself.

Thanks for the reading. :)

I generally play rangers and i disagree completely. If the pet gets abilities on level up they would be op. If you are playing a ranged ranger i dont get what is gimped you get 8 general (and 8 abilities) talents to pick from for the game i usually only pick 3 pet talents for a ranged ranger so that leave you 5 talents for your bows or guns that is plenty. If you are playing melee ranger then you may have to pick more ranger general talents but only maybe one more if you really want. In general though this is the trade off for having another character your ranger cant be like a rogue plus a pet that would be crazy.

Edited by draego

I've very much enjoyed playing L4wlight's Storm & Plague Caller ranger build. If you follow L4wlight's build you start off getting essential pet buffs and then move to offensive talents and abilities. It's a great build and much fun to play, and results in both the pet and the ranger being great damage dealers. The ranger is a bit squishy if you min/max it, but you can also use it with Sagani, who is less squishy but slower, and hence does less DPS.

Hmm... Okay, I will try to follow the game ruleset.

You may like POE2. There is a subclass that kills off your pet and the pet becomes a ghost summon. I wont be using that one but it lets you update your ranger without pet talents. I hope they have a subclass that doubles down on pets and or melee rangers but to each his own.

Edited by draego

On the other hand, PoE2 drastically cuts back on the number of talents/spells/powers you gain automatically.  Priests for example completely lose the automatic spell unlocks cited by the OP as his model for how ranger pet talents should work.

Edited by jsaving