Hi everyone,

Found it impossible to pass solo Barbarian PoTD - Caed Nua main hall cause of Spectre stunlock.

Tried every build there may be.

Reached level 5 - the maximum I could do through game content till Caed Nua.

http://imgur.com/UM35sq0

As you can see there is almost maximum constitution and freeze damage reduction.

Still Spectre stunlock and there is no way to deal with it. I've tried to raise deflection to 90 with small shield (+mastery), but it's the same stunlock.

One handed mastery to hit them (they have Def.:71)

- Animat from Bronze Horn Figurine dies after 10 seconds.

- Fireball trap just tickles spectres.

- Can't use scrolls, cause of stunlock.

- Food applied.

- Potions of Wizard Double / Mirrored Image almost useless too.

- Potion of Bulwark Against the Elements just prolongs this suffering a bit.

I've done this in v3.05.1186 with wizard (The Ultimate) and rogue... can't make it with barbarian though.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Perebor/

I can't find info regarding status "Stunned" - is it fortitude or will saveroll?

Have anyone done this on these settings? (PoTD solo Barbarian)

Any tips?

Edited by Nail

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

You have a few options.

1. Hands down the easiest - and imo best - method is to stealth to the door with Stealth 5. The convo with the statue triggers, drop the animat summon as a distraction, run through the door, and wait for combat to end. Done. This fight is not worth the hassle imo. Respec out of Stealth 5 later if that's your style.

2. There's a summon distraction method that doesn't require Stealth, but I found it to be quite picky to get to work. Expect to have to try it a few times to get it right.

3. If you're determined to do the fight the manly way, then you'll need as much Fortitude as possible to endure those stun attacks; max Might and Constitution and take the Bear's Fortitude talent. After trying it a few different ways with a few different classes, my take is that the Deflection strategy isn't ideal. You want to try to out DPS the phantoms and pray your high Fortitude gives you some reprieve against chain-stunning. Dual-wield fine weapons, don't forget fire lash and spirit-slaying. It should go without saying that you should be hiding in the corner, fighting them one-on-one only. Fan of Flames scrolls are your friend too, just make sure you're being attacked by a shadow, and Fan of Flames over his head (though I've done it without scrolls before, so they aren't required if you'd rather not). Try to open combat with a fine arbalest, which should at least knock out or weaken one enemy straight away.

So you want max Might and Con for Fortitude, and high Perception for accuracy. Coastal Aumaua is my favourite race for soloing mostly because stun and prone is so common, their racial is a great quality of life bonus in the early game where such things matter the most imo.

Iirc, One-handed no longer works with a shield.

This fight should be very easy for a barbarian: The key stats are MIG and CON (drop DEX to 3) which should be maxed in order to avoid stun lock. A key item is the rymrgrand's mantle which coupled with plate will heal all the damage you take from the spirits (that combo makes the temple of Eothas very easy too). The best weapon is of course whispers of yenwood (with fine and burning enchantments if possible). To make things even more easy the recommended items are: the rings of minor protection/deflection, gauntlets of accuracy, the pilgrim's last vigil, belt of bountiful healing, fulvano's boots, plate with fine enchantment and food for bosting at least MIG/CON. Summons aren't even required, just stay in a corner to avoid being attacked by too many spirits at the same time.

PS. I'm not sure a shield helps you very much - I would try also 1w (without shield for the accuracy boost) or 2w (with gaun's share as second weapon) and see which gives the best results.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

Did it with a 20 MIG/20 CON build with high INT and dumped DEX and added Frenzy for max fortitude. Basically what Kaylon said. Dropped RES as well and compensated with Potion of Spirit Shield. Added Veteran's Recovery and a Belt of Bountiful Healing as well as Savage Defiance. Not a big problem then.

Also helps a lot against xaurip skirmishers. If you could get Rhymrgand's Mantle it should be easy.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Also helps a lot against xaurip skirmishers. If you could get Rhymrgand's Mantle it should be easy.

I think Rymrgand's Mantle still spawns in the Black Hound the day after the earliest you can arrive in Gilded Vale, so you can pretty much guarantee it if you want it.

1. Hands down the easiest - and imo best - method is to stealth to the door with Stealth 5. The convo with the statue triggers, drop the animat summon as a distraction, run through the door, and wait for combat to end. Done. This fight is not worth the hassle imo. Respec out of Stealth 5 later if that's your style.

This is exactly how i does it. Recommended.

I think Rymrgand's Mantle still spawns in the Black Hound the day after the earliest you can arrive in Gilded Vale, so you can pretty much guarantee it if you want it.

I think they reworked the "random" system and made it really random what item drops. No more "I know the day" cheesy.

Nope. But the loot-tables of former times don't work anymore. Don't know if they just changed the days or if they really randomized the loot.

I might test it out later tonight. If it's truly random, then simply checking the Black Hound chest on the same day a few times, using a different character each time, should be enough to tell. The reason for using a different character each time is on the off chance that the tables are "seeded" upon character creation.

Nope. But the loot-tables of former times don't work anymore. Don't know if they just changed the days or if they really randomized the loot.

I might test it out later tonight. If it's truly random, then simply checking the Black Hound chest on the same day a few times, using a different character each time, should be enough to tell. The reason for using a different character each time is on the off chance that the tables are "seeded" upon character creation.

One character is enough - if the loot is the same as in the wiki then probably nothing changed :)

Edited by Kaylon

One character is enough - if the loot is the same as in the wiki then probably nothing changed :)

The tables have definitely changed from the ones on the Wiki. In my last playthrough (which was in 3.05) I did a full 20 day cycle on Raedric's Hold and the Gloves of Manipulation never appeared, but a pair did appear in the Copperlane Catacombs.

Thanks for the answers,

- Not my luck with Rymrgand's Mantle.

- Not my luck with Plate at Raedric's Hold Raedric's Hold stashes.

It's possible to kill Temple Guardian though 1vs1.

Checked Plate armor protects better then Scale armor cause of DR (what is weird as Scale is supposed to protect better from freeze).

Sequence: 

There are 4 Phantoms

Cornering myself = 2 enemies attacking, Shade and Phantom.

Eventually Phantom dies, so does the Shade due Carnage

One Phantom comes for a fight and eventually second one emerges.

2 Phantom hitting me = death being stunned almost all the time.

So I'm about this Stunned affliction - I guess, is way OP.

When it's 20 Mig / 25 Con

Here are the stats:

level 5 character vs level 3 Phantom still stunlock - that's wrong.

Here is the stat roll:

They Graze, but still stun... even with such high Fortitude for this area.

Can't do it manly way, still trying my luck with Fortitude rolls RNG, possibly will do it.

It's a sad story, and never "very easy for a barbarian" :)

I guess it may be possible 1 out of # tries, but it's even not Trial of Iron...

Done stealth strategy via rogue, but without summon as a distraction - probably the best way.

Inventory:

Hermit's Hat

Torc of the Falcon's Eyes

Minor Ring of Protection

Minor Ring of Deflection

Blunting Belt / possible change to Belt of Bountiful Healing, but it's not helping against Stunned.

Minor Gauntlets of Accuracy

Fulvano's Boots

Scale armor - fine, +1 Dex

Whispers of Yenwood - fine, burning lash

Scale armor could be +1 Mig, but there is no Binding Copper to make it. 

Still I don't think +1 Mig will seal the deal.

Talents:

Bear's Fortitude

Veteran't Recovery

Abilities:

Blooded

Savage Defiance

Frenzy

Bonuses:

Rautai Sweet Pie

Pearlwood Chicken

Dyrwood's Pride Resting Bonus

Racial Accuracy Resting Bonus: Spirit

Edited by Nail

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

There is another way that is easy as well as cheesy - at least it worked pretty well on my level-1-run some time ago.

1. Summon the Animat as far away from the stairs as possible
2. Let it soak all engagement so you have time for shooting
3. Kill one Phantom with one or two Arbalest shots
4. Retreat out of vision and wait for combat to end

5. Rest and repeat until all enemies are dead

If they havent changed the encounter - or the AI - it should still work. Even with a Barbarian. :biggrin:

Edited by Harpagornis

The cheesy way also works well if you use a summon to distract the phantoms, then run to the throne with a move speed bonus (survival) so that the phantoms cease following. If the phantoms return to the summon you will be out of sight and once the encounter ends the dialogue with the steward will be triggered. Did this with a solo priest.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods