I don't particularly enjoy playing with Monk characters. Will there be a way, I wonder, to respec the priest/monk character Xoti and yank out the Monk class levels? Or are we stuck with that?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This question feels a little premature 1 year before release but... probably? It seems like the designers intend it that you can take the companions either way depending on how you want to play them.

It might depend on whether her primary (level 1) class is priest or monk. If it's monk, then maybe you'll be stuck with at least one level of that? Nah, they wouldn't make such a silly design.

Edited by Heijoushin

IIRC with splot classes you get to pick which one, so Xoti can be a Priest and Eder can be a Rogue.

"Take your child murderin' god and shove his him up his own ass."-Volorun

"...the vote of a black redhead disabled homosexual transsexual Jew should probably be worth the same as at least a hundred white heterosexual Christians."-Rostere

"i can think of many women i would gladly sleep with, but not a single one that i would want as a girlfriend/wife... neither real nor fictional."-teknoman2

"I'm all for killing dogs in film." - algroth

"Iselmyr is the one who did GOMAD... Aloth is lactose intolerant" -ShadySands

They said companions have to be at least one of their two assigned classes, so you just have to pick priest. 

This. When you get Xoti you'll have the choice between starting her as a level 1 Monk or a level 1 Priest. She doesn't have to be a Monk/Priest.

• Like 1

Yeah, as others have you said you will get to choose to start her as either Priest or Monk and can keep them pure.  I am currently unclear as to what the limitations are for multiclassing companions, my original impression was that they each had one or two classes they had to start as one of (Eder can choose to start as either Fighter or Rogue, while Aloth can only start as Wizard) but when multiclassing the second class could be anything (so Eder could start as Rogue but then multiclass as Ranger, he didn't have to take Fighter) but some of the Q&As have me wondering about that, or if they are limited to the two classes they get to start as.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I don't particularly enjoy playing with Monk characters.

No monky love :'(

In all seriousness, at level one you pick either monk or priest.

Yeah, as others have you said you will get to choose to start her as either Priest or Monk and can keep them pure.  I am currently unclear as to what the limitations are for multiclassing companions, my original impression was that they each had one or two classes they had to start as one of (Eder can choose to start as either Fighter or Rogue, while Aloth can only start as Wizard) but when multiclassing the second class could be anything (so Eder could start as Rogue but then multiclass as Ranger, he didn't have to take Fighter) but some of the Q&As have me wondering about that, or if they are limited to the two classes they get to start as.

Yes, it's always possible the developers will limit which classes a companion can take (as in NWN2), in which case I'll just have Xoti take priest class levels. I just didn't want to miss out on the interaction possibilities because of a character's class choices.

Thanks everybody.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Definitely hoping for the last option, as it would allow for much greater customizability (and thus replayability).

Definitely hoping for the last option, as it would allow for much greater customizability (and thus replayability).

I can't find a source, but I am sure this is how it was described in one of the Q&A streams or elsewhere.

Intuitively, I'd expect they would limit multiclassing so it does not interfere with writing. "Rarrgh, barbarian Aloth smash!"

But hey, choice is good. I'm all for free multiclassing.

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

I can't find a source, but I am sure this is how it was described in one of the Q&A streams or elsewhere.

It was part of the multiclass Fig update:

In this system, companions may also multiclass, though their 1st class must always be one of their base classes (e.g. fighter or rogue for Edér, wizard for Aloth).

Plus this SA post.

Edited by Icesong
  • Like 5

It was part of the multiclass Fig update:

In this system, companions may also multiclass, though their 1st class must always be one of their base classes (e.g. fighter or rogue for Edér, wizard for Aloth).

Plus this SA post.

Cheers dude, thought this was the case but the wording on some of the other interviews made me doubt whether I had it right.  That's pretty damn clear on multiclassing options for companions so all's good!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams