I don't particularly enjoy playing with Monk characters. Will there be a way, I wonder, to respec the priest/monk character Xoti and yank out the Monk class levels? Or are we stuck with that?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This question feels a little premature 1 year before release but... probably? It seems like the designers intend it that you can take the companions either way depending on how you want to play them.

It might depend on whether her primary (level 1) class is priest or monk. If it's monk, then maybe you'll be stuck with at least one level of that? Nah, they wouldn't make such a silly design.

Edited by Heijoushin

IIRC with splot classes you get to pick which one, so Xoti can be a Priest and Eder can be a Rogue.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, as others have you said you will get to choose to start her as either Priest or Monk and can keep them pure.  I am currently unclear as to what the limitations are for multiclassing companions, my original impression was that they each had one or two classes they had to start as one of (Eder can choose to start as either Fighter or Rogue, while Aloth can only start as Wizard) but when multiclassing the second class could be anything (so Eder could start as Rogue but then multiclass as Ranger, he didn't have to take Fighter) but some of the Q&As have me wondering about that, or if they are limited to the two classes they get to start as.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Yeah, as others have you said you will get to choose to start her as either Priest or Monk and can keep them pure.  I am currently unclear as to what the limitations are for multiclassing companions, my original impression was that they each had one or two classes they had to start as one of (Eder can choose to start as either Fighter or Rogue, while Aloth can only start as Wizard) but when multiclassing the second class could be anything (so Eder could start as Rogue but then multiclass as Ranger, he didn't have to take Fighter) but some of the Q&As have me wondering about that, or if they are limited to the two classes they get to start as.

Yes, it's always possible the developers will limit which classes a companion can take (as in NWN2), in which case I'll just have Xoti take priest class levels. I just didn't want to miss out on the interaction possibilities because of a character's class choices.

Thanks everybody.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Definitely hoping for the last option, as it would allow for much greater customizability (and thus replayability).

Definitely hoping for the last option, as it would allow for much greater customizability (and thus replayability).

I can't find a source, but I am sure this is how it was described in one of the Q&A streams or elsewhere.

It was part of the multiclass Fig update:

In this system, companions may also multiclass, though their 1st class must always be one of their base classes (e.g. fighter or rogue for Edér, wizard for Aloth).

Plus this SA post.

Edited by Icesong
  • Like 5

I can't find a source, but I am sure this is how it was described in one of the Q&A streams or elsewhere.

It was part of the multiclass Fig update:

In this system, companions may also multiclass, though their 1st class must always be one of their base classes (e.g. fighter or rogue for Edér, wizard for Aloth).

Plus this SA post.

Cheers dude, thought this was the case but the wording on some of the other interviews made me doubt whether I had it right.  That's pretty damn clear on multiclassing options for companions so all's good!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams