So I'm looking at Kana and noticing his base Chants (not linger) is lessened by something. 

For example, he has 19 int with gear, Sure-Handed says Duration4.8 sec (in red, mouseover says base 6) with a linger of 4.4 in blue, (mouseover says base 3.)

Now, the more I think about it the more I see the base shortening as a BUFF not a debuff, because shortening the base AND lengthening the linger  means there's more opportunity for overlap.

But my curiosity is getting the better of me, int only seems to affect the linger, what is shortening the base? Level?

hmmmm.

Brisk Recitation -- added in 2.0 or 3.0, it reduces chant time by increments of 10%, starting at -10% at Lv4 and capping out at -50% at Lv16. You'll see the ability in your character sheet. It's an automatically added class feature like Transcendent Suffering for Monks. You don't have to choose it at level up.

Edited by AlphaMagnum

Yeah, as everyone's saying, Chants have base length as follows:

Lvl 1: 4 Secs

Lvl 2: 6 Secs

Lvl 3: 8 Secs

Lvl 4: 10 Secs

Lvl 5: 12 Secs

At levels 4, 7, 10, 13, 16 you get a reduction of the base by 10% through Brisk Recitation, so by level 16 the base chant length of a level 3 chant will be four seconds.

Chant linger length is Chant Level + 1 seconds

Base Chant is not affected by Intellect but intellect will increase the Linger Length (which can also be multiplied by 1.5 again on a crit).

Edited by Livegood118