Greetings

I would like to create a tank paladin, and I am confused about the stats.

I understand that the opponents are no longuer targeting the tank if he isn't a threat.

But what is the minimum threat level that is required ?

is

Might 10

Cons 10

Dex 4

Percep 19

Int : 16

Res : 18 (+1 from Aedyr culture)

enought ?

Or should I go with

Might 10

Cons 10

Dex 10

Percep 16

Res : 15 (+1 from Aedyr culture)

or

Might 16

Cons 10

Dex 4

Percep 16

Res : 15 (+1 from Aedyr culture)

?

Thank you for your answer

Of the three lines you posted I'd probably go with the third. High Might is very useful for Sacred Immolation which pretty much every Paladin wants to take regardless of their role in the party.

Personally I don't know if I'd bother raising Resolve much. There are plenty of sources of Deflection in the game and the Paladin already has the highest base Deflection once Faith and Conviction is taken into account. I might go with something like

MIG 17

CON 10

DEX 8

PER 15

INT 18

RES 10

Note however that I have a personal rule that I don't like to reduce any attribute below 8, if you don't mind it yourself then you could definitely go with something like

MIG 17

CON 10

DEX 3

PER 15

INT 18

RES 15

Though you'll attack very slowly. Another alternative would be the attribute spread from Boeroer's Counselor Ploi build i.e.

MIG 15

CON 8

DEX 8

PER 15

INT 17

RES 15

Honestly, as long as your Might and Intellect are decent you can't go too wrong with a Paladin.

• Like 2

Ya completely skipping might is a bad deal imo.  Like previous posters aid.  Might and Int I think are most important.  Also Fort is a really important defense as many hard hitting abilities target that defense.  I dont completely agree with Jerek on the Resolve as I like to have it for Concentration so my Exhortations and Lay on Hands are not interupted.  BUT He does have a point and going 10 Res on a Paladin is fine.  I just personally like the Concentration.  I have done both.

PS

Out of the three line ups I also like the third...save for dumping so low i hate doing that but its a personal rule of mine I dont go below 8.  Its a single player game and dumping that low is certainly viable and if you talk to power gamers probably even better.  Third line up is def your best one.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Not even a little bit of constitution on a tank character? (Even negative on Boeroer's build?) Is the stat really viewed as so worthless?

In most cases it's a pretty unimportant stat. I mean, it does give you +Fortitude which is nice, but in most cases the Health/Endurance isn't that useful.

Not even a little bit of constitution on a tank character? (Even negative on Boeroer's build?) Is the stat really viewed as so worthless?

Ya dude i know.  I love high HP type tanks but in this game the percentage you get (even after the buff...in the original game the % was abysmal ) per point isnt good enough.  Might is much more useful and you get the same defense (Fort)...

That being said I like having extra HP for sacred immolation....so i can rest less.  So i have (although it was not very power gamey) had Paladins start with like a 12 CON and raise it throughout the game with those certain decisions you can make...now it limits you in three ways though...Only 2 orders can make those decisions for those points in Con and not be penalized so you have to pick one of those two......or you have to take Untroubled Faith...its already hard enough to squeeze everything I want in a build...(was even worse when the level cap was 12!).

I hope they make CON a lot better in Deadfire as I am huge HP tank fan lol

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Thank for your answers

Regarding the "slow attack", should I use a fast one handed weapon to compensate it ? Or should I stick with a slow one handed weapon and live with being slow ?

As for armor, I would like to go with the plate armor, but maybe it will make me even slower, making the character unplayable.

If I understand well, in this game, the race bonus states aren't really important, as maxing a stat isn't really optimised. Therefore, the race choice only matter for racial ability and RP ?

If you don't get hit at all you don't need CON. :) My Golden Dragon barb tank has only 3 CON. It's because he doesn't get hit at all once his buffs & debuffs are set up.

But it has it's uses, especially for meaty monks and barbarians who don't want to have high deflection. Since those classes have a bigger  endurance and health pool anyway the percentage based bonuses of CON work even better with them (like Jerek already said).

And it also boosts your fortitude which is one of the most important defenses.

I once did a solo run with a 20-MIG-20-CON-barb and it worked well. So much fortitude (also with Greater Frenzy :)) and so much health...  

So I don't think it's a useless stat at all. Just depends on the character.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thank for your answers

Regarding the "slow attack", should I use a fast one handed weapon to compensate it ? Or should I stick with a slow one handed weapon and live with being slow ?

As for armor, I would like to go with the plate armor, but maybe it will make me even slower, making the character unplayable.

If I understand well, in this game, the race bonus states aren't really important, as maxing a stat isn't really optimised. Therefore, the race choice only matter for racial ability and RP ?

If you want to keep low DEX you could consider to take an Island Aumaua and spent your two Flames of Devotions uses for two shots with two arquebuses, switching after the first shot. This way low DEX doesn't matter and you can still do incredible burst damage. One handed fast weapon is not the best choice - they hit like wet noodles if you have no means to reduce enemies' DR. You could also pick up a two hander as a backup weapon. Once encounter starts you will present yourself with a two hander (= lower deflection and higher disengagement damage - for example you could buy the Spectacular Spetum which has marking and guarding - perfect weapon for a paladin), dealing two FoD hits with it. Once the enemies took you as bait and engaged you can switch to shield and become supertanky. Usually they won't leave you then.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods