Hi, 

I'm replaying PoE with both expansions (first time with the expansions - criminal really since I've had the game on release and finished it twice before the expansions hit) and really enjoying it but one thing I would love to see expanded upon in Deadfire is the concept of "wizard duels".

It's a fairly small thing to implement but I'm thinking of Baldur's Gate 2 specifically when I think of this - there were a few times throughout that game where magic users talents were brought right to the fore. A few times in climactic battles but a few where your sorcerer/wizard basically has to go one on one with another magic user. The most blatant example of this was in the Underdark where you could take on a series of escalating duels for the entertainment of some tavern patrons.

But only your wizard was allowed to fight, and the opponent was also a wizard. 

This would be awesome in PoE as there are a lot of spells designed to counter/absorb spells and effects but in the middle of the hectic combat of PoE you rarely get a chance to see them used effectively. 

I think weaving something like this into a questline would be pretty awesome.

Again just my suggestion but please feel free to comment!

I think its interesting and what i am about to say should not be taken as me saying that every quest should be doable by every player but... I dont like the idea of quest lines specifically for a single class especially if you dont have a wizard in your party. I have made a run in POE1 without a wizard and also tried a dual wield wizard (the only way i would even think of rolling a wizard). This seems pretty arbitrary to just to include a single class in quest line. Duels could be interesting quest line overall. I mean i have seen it in other games. Also i think there are several spell casting classes in the game that would make duels fun and i dont like the idea that wizards are special or more powerful than the other classes. This mainly comes from my hate of ever rolling a wizard and only begrudgingly take wizards for their utility usually, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

Edited by draego

Why are people so fanatic towards wizards? Dozens of threads arguing that wizards must receive more attention or more spells... you guys really want them to become unbalanced and over powered like they were in every IE game?

Or it's just a secret religion?

• Like 3

Why are people so fanatic towards wizards? Dozens of threads arguing that wizards must receive more attention or more spells... you guys really want them to become unbalanced and over powered like they were in every IE game?

IE nostalgia was a selling point for Pillars  ;)

So PoE must do all of the mistakes that IE games did?

• Like 2

I agree wizards are already powerful in POE we don't need IE level powerful  :yes:

• Like 3

Yeah, class balance is a good thing. Specifically implementing wizard duels seem counterproductive to balance. However, class specific stuff is a ton of fun, and it's fair if everyone gets nice things. Lets say caster duels for wizards, clerics, druids, ciphers. Holier-than-thou competitions for paladins. And of course, rap battles for chanters.

That said, I'm guessing that class specific things are a bit of a burden burden to implement and balance, with relatively little impact since some people might never even see the content. So if there are surplus resources, by all means. If not, then I guess the cost-benefit analysis is probably not in favour of wizard duels.

On a less serious note, as someone who mainly plays wizards: Screw other classes, gimme wizard content!

Edited by Regggler
  • Like 1

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

There's nothing wrong with being powerful, as long as it is accompanied by a proper weakness. Obsidian's obsession of treating armor the same way regardless of class and other character traits robs them of their key weakness.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

So PoE must do all of the mistakes that IE games did?

More "one person's mistake is another person's beloved feature." Enormously OP wizards were a pretty prominent part of gameplay in the IE games, especially BG 2; it makes sense that, for a lot of people, nostalgia for the IE games includes nostalgia for mages wiping the floor with every other class.

There's nothing wrong with being powerful, as long as it is accompanied by a proper weakness. Obsidian's obsession of treating armor the same way regardless of class and other character traits robs them of their key weakness.

Mmm, I believe armor impacts your recovery speed, which would effect how often you can cast spells. A lightly-armored Wizard can thus fire off more spells in the same duration. High Dex also helps.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I like what they're doing with buffs and debuffs a lot more in this one.  That will give some of the spell / counter feeling without limiting it to wizards (or in PE, priests).  Also, any character in the party should be able to fight in the single-character duels.  Many party members are built as support characters and suddenly wind up facing a nasty solo tank.

Mmm, I believe armor impacts your recovery speed, which would effect how often you can cast spells. A lightly-armored Wizard can thus fire off more spells in the same duration. High Dex also helps.

Yeah, with the downside of you being squishy as ****, but if you ever run into a situation where having an armor is more important than having the extra speed, you can just equip a damn full plate and become indestructible with a DR buff or two.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.