#Deadfire Q&A Twitch Stream with Josh Sawyer and Lead Artist Kaz Aruga

Ahoy there all you seafaring Watchers!

Tomorrow we'll be doing another Q&A session with Josh and Kaz Aruga! Time to explore the depth of art and inspiration! So if you have some burning questions about art, here is your chance!

If you would like your question to be answered live on stream, let us know by tweeting us at WorldofEternity and make sure you use the hashtag #Deadfire. Twitter questions will be read first, so make sure to get on there!

You are also free to list your questions here, but please limit them to 2-3 questions as there may be a large number of questions coming in and we want to answer as many questions as we can!

See you tomorrow on the Obsidian Twitch channel!

3fq8n5O.jpg

• Like 2

Will portraits be more consistent? A lot of them werw jarringly different in PoE.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yay! Things have been far too quiet lately. I'm just going to go crazy here:

1. How many new portraits are you expecting to add?

2. Won't the new "watercolor" style be a problem with custom portraits? I mean, if we use a custom portrait for our watcher, but don't have a watercolor version of it, won't it clash terribly?

3. Will different classes have different animations? (Kung fu for the monk, more stylish combos for fighters etc.)

4. What were art inspirations for clothing in the Deadfire region?

5. Will there be clothing shops in Deadfire? In PoE1, if you wanted a nice suit early on, you had to mug a backer character.

6. How will the pet eagle work mechanically? For example, will it only be targetable by range attacks? Will it be very fragile? (compared to other pets) Will you be able to explore the whole map quickly with it?

7. More info on Tekēhu please! He's the only companion we know nothing about. What kind of Godlike is he?

8. There was a thread wondering if oriental weapons will make it into PoE2. How do you feel about that? Do katanas and wakizashis clash with the European medieval atmosphere?

9. Some people felt the Godlike were underwhelming. The new artwork looks great, but are you planning to change their racial abilities too?

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, in my excitement, I didn't see the "You are also free to list your questions here, but please limit them to 2-3 questions as there may be a large number of questions coming in and we want to answer as many questions as we can!" part.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

Will there be portraits for npcs?

The developers have already mentioned that they plan to have watercolor portraits for quest giving NPCs. See https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=245#updates for more details and some examples.

1. We've seen unique idle animations for party members such as Eder and Aloth already; will all full-fledged companions have these and/or can we expect to see these occur among important NPCs as well?

2. Where recurring monster types are concerned, assuming that there are some, would you say the focus has been on refining established designs or adjusting them to better fit the different environments in which they are encountered?

3. Are there more variations in NPC body types or will they still share the same models?

Edited by blotter

3. Are there more variations in NPC body types or will they still share the same models?

Good one! Or body type variations for player characters for that matter. They had them in Tyranny if I recall correctly, so it seems reasonable to expect it in Deadfire. Even better if they expand on the Tyranny options.

• Like 1

They had them in Tyranny if I recall correctly, so it seems reasonable to expect it in Deadfire. Even better if they expand on the Tyranny options.

Having the choice between three as in Tyranny would be great, as would anything beyond that (though with the far greater number of races in Pillars, I'm less sure we'll see this carry over). Fingers crossed for added NPC variation especially since they wouldn't necessarily have to make them cover all the different forms of armor/clothing that the Watcher and companions/sidekicks can wear.

1) Who are illustrating the player, party, and NPC portraits -and how are they assigned and approved?

2) Will we see viable player clothing akin to Tudor, Medici, Habsburg aesthetics? e.g., Francis Drake, Ferdinand Magellan, Walsingham, the Borgias, etc.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

What were the inspirations/thought processes behind the water color look for the scripted interactions?

With the change in location, will we see a significant change in the color pallatte of the natural enviroments, buildings, and clothing people wear?

Will there be any new player portraits?

Edited by Jeckal

The archtype of the skilled fighter that dodges blows without wearing much armor is not very well supported in PoE1.

Will there be a subclass (preferable of the monk or fighter) that focuses on making light / no armor viable in melee, like the Kensai did in BG2?

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 1

1. Will we see a wider range (diversity) in the style / depiction of godlikes?

2. When deciding on the different enviroments that you want to cover (artistically) do you prefer this under the mantle of a theme or do you aim to do a bit of everything?

3. Will there be weapons and armor more closely related (in terms of art & style) to the region (Deadfire) and how does this relate to visual diversity of npcs?

Edit: Seems like reading is too hard for me today, seeing as it has already aired.

Edited by Duskshift
  • Like 1

The archtype of the skilled fighter that dodges blows without wearing much armor is not very well supported in PoE1.

Will there be a subclass (preferable of the monk or fighter) that focuses on making light / no armor viable in melee, like the Kensai did in BG2?

Neat idea. I would also like to see something like a bladedancer subclass.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I really liked those images in the low right corner.

- Is this fan art?

- Can you see this in higher resolution somewhere?

I really like the cute version of Sagani.

Yeah, it's fanart mostly from Tumblr/Twitter. Higher-resolution versions can certainly be found there.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Now here's hoping for another transcript!

"Go go Fereed Rangers!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/5ye510/pillars_of_eternity_ii_deadfire_qa_stream_5/

Looks like I missed the deadline by one day as well - strange, because I posted my questions immediately after the facebook page told me it would be yesterday...

• Like 1

It was a nice stream/video. Good vibes somehow. ;)

Since I have not much to say about art styles and pictures and stuff I was happy to just watch and listen.

But... I am the only one who had problems understanding what Kaz said?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...