To the stars

breathing

What about a Sci-fi rpg set in humanity's interstellar future using the Pillars engine?  I was inspired by some of Isaac Arthurs YouTube videos.  Loads of awesome ideas and info there that could influence a really cool game.  IMO. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I would love a setting that is similar to The Expanse.

Different planets as factions and the big/evil corporations. With some realism when it comes to spacefaring and no aliens ( at least not in the 1st game). Mankinds 1st steps into a spacefaring civilization.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

For building an in-depth space opera I think you need to limit access a bit, or otherwise you're left trying to detail an enormous mass of potential worlds. A single-system setting like the Expanse or Firefly is one way to do it, or you could use an interstellar wormhole network with strategic choke points.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

For building an in-depth space opera I think you need to limit access a bit, or otherwise you're left trying to detail an enormous mass of potential worlds. A single-system setting like the Expanse or Firefly is one way to do it, or you could use an interstellar wormhole network with strategic choke points.

You could make the PC a "party member" rather than a party leader. If they want to get around they have to choose from a limited selection of outgoing assignments or missions that they can convince someone to take them on.

• Like 1

My dream rpg is something along the lines of Darkling Sea, Xenogenesis, and Hyperion Cantos. A heavy futuristic setting, with people exploring an impossible world. Aliens that can't be understood, and display motives far beyond what humanity can understand. 

I want space RPG where non of alien races (if there is multiple of them) are humanoids, I want classic SCIENCE fiction. Something in feel of Space Odyssey or any book from A.C. Clark. Much more unknown and mystery than - Hey blue space chicks, lets bang them! Mass effect style :/

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I want space RPG where non of alien races (if there is multiple of them) are humanoids, I want classic SCIENCE fiction. Something in feel of Space Odyssey or any book from A.C. Clark. Much more unknown and mystery than - Hey blue space chicks, lets bang them! Mass effect style :/

Yeah, that's the freaky aspect of the whole Mass Effect series. I suppose it's much like Star Trek in that respect. At least the Star Wars films and games did a better job of portraying truly alien aliens, even if they are mostly acting like humans.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 3 weeks later...

SciFi Pillars? Yes please!

My inner fanboy is conflicted on whether a distant future of Eora would be a cool setting or whether he'd prefer Eora to stay purely fantasy renaissance...

As to the blue space chicks: Holy blatant fan service...

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Yes, a Science Fiction Baldur's Gate is basically the game I have wanted for the last twenty years or so.

I would via more towards the space opera sub-genre, since if you go to much hard SF you have realism problems in everything from weapon ranges to laser swords to psionics to energy shields to FTL to aliens etc.

• Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Eh...Classic Science fiction had that though.  John Carter meets red martian alien Dejah Thoris, falls in love and marries her in 1912's A PRINCESS OF MARS. I think it'd be hard to argue that it isn't part of the science fiction oeuvre; now whether it should be pursued in a game is a matter altogether different, but to reject it because it isn't "classic science fiction" is a bit silly when it was there since the earliest days of classic science fiction.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Eh...Classic Science fiction had that though.  John Carter meets red martian alien Dejah Thoris, falls in love and marries her in 1912's A PRINCESS OF MARS. I think it'd be hard to argue that it isn't part of the science fiction oeuvre; now whether it should be pursued in a game is a matter altogether different, but to reject it because it isn't "classic science fiction" is a bit silly when it was there since the earliest days of classic science fiction.

I am not arguing its never been there, I just stressed that I want more Science in it and less human interaction between them/red martian chicks

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Fair enough.  I think 'hard' or 'more accurate science' science fiction is probably going to be more difficult to pull off than space fantasy but could lead to a rewarding story. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Fair enough.  I think 'hard' or 'more accurate science' science fiction is probably going to be more difficult to pull off than space fantasy but could lead to a rewarding story.

I still understand limitations of media, what I am talking about is focus. If we take old ME as example:

1. minimal environmental hazards (toxic planets, too hot or too cold planets or even barren planets)

2. laws of physics (gravity, vacuum, thrust, acceleration, deacceleration, the law of conservation of energy..)

3. astronavigation, spaceflight in general

4. biology and morphology of alien species

5. exploration of unknown

most of this stuff was just very minor fluff but I would like game mechanics to be more focused on these areas