I don't know if I'm the only one, but I really miss the pompous attitude of nobles, and the utter patheticness of beggars in the IE games. In PoE the nobles in Brackenbury acts very polite against the watcher and his bunch of misfits. They either greet you or informs you about the state of the local situation. Even the refugees are very informative in most cases.
I miss the funny interactions with noble couples in BG 2, and the utter disgust the nobles in BG 1 shows towards you.
And I feel like Defiancy Bay lacks abit in that aspect. I like the hookers, and drunken sailors tho.

Dunno, maybe it's just nostalgia. What do you guys think? Would Deadfire gain from some more tweaking?

• Like 6

Perhaps we should say "the courage to make more douchebag characters". Like when you first visit enter the Dozens headquarters, and the other adventuring party (I forget their name) is swaggering all over the place. Didn't that scene make you want to kick their asses? ;)

Edited by Heijoushin

I'd like to see some of this, though as Sedrefilos says it shouldn't be universal*. Add to this additional reactions based on the Watcher's background e.g. a pompous noble being slightly less so if your character had the noble background.

*Though I'd argue that beggars are more likely to be meek at least since they are relying on the kindness of others.

• Like 1

I'd like to see some of this, though as Sedrefilos says it shouldn't be universal*. Add to this additional reactions based on the Watcher's background e.g. a pompous noble being slightly less so if your character had the noble background.

*Though I'd argue that beggars are more likely to be meek at least since they are relying on the kindness of others.

But as first impressions go, clothing should probably be more important than background. Even if you're roleplaying a former slave, if you show up in fine silks, they should act accordingly.... though that's probably too much detail for them to program in. I'll take what I can get reaction-wise.

But as first impressions go, clothing should probably be more important than background. Even if you're roleplaying a former slave, if you show up in fine silks, they should act accordingly.... though that's probably too much detail for them to program in. I'll take what I can get reaction-wise.

That's true, but perhaps for the noble background you could have a noble react in a pompous manner, but have an gated dialogue option for your character to say something that makes it clear that they have a noble background and have the noble react surprised, and maybe apologetic (or maybe critical of how you've fallen).

• Like 1

At least in the Dyrwood, after getting Caed Nua you're basically landed nobility. Somewhat insignificant, rural, and "new money", but nobility nonetheless.

And in Deadfire, you're captain of a ship.

Whatever your original background, you're not scum to many people.

• Like 4

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I don't know I feel like there was an appropriate amount of obnoxious behavior. It can be a little disengaging when the world is littered with stereotypes, especially in a game that strives to paint its characters and situations realistically.

I do think the new environment lends itself to fresh interactions though.

Well, I think the writers tried to put more humanity and less stereotypes into their work. It's a generational thing, Harry Potter and Adventure Time are bigger references now than Tolkien and Conan the barbarian.

I perfectly understand the nostaligia. Clichés are fun and gave us our dear Minsc. But I can't blame writers for going a different way.

• Like 2

I think Pillars 1 did it well with specific characters being ****, rather than generic people types. Sure, if the devs want to make your character feel like an outcast, having everybody treat them like dirt does that. However, I think it's better to have most people react to them with appropriate wary politeness (beggars will beg, nobles offer stiff greetings, etc.) and leave the douchebags to be actual characters the player can grow to hate and eventually kick the asses of.

At least in the Dyrwood, after getting Caed Nua you're basically landed nobility. Somewhat insignificant, rural, and "new money", but nobility nonetheless.
And in Deadfire, you're captain of a ship.
Whatever your original background, you're not scum to many people.

Coupled with this fact, most people shouldn't really try to antagonize you. If for no other reason that the fact that they might need to ask you a favor / give you a job offer at some point.

Of course, it would be great if your reputation played into this. Being known as a hero of the city should make the nobles react with proper politeness, commoners being excited to talk to you, etc. Conversely, if you do gain a negative reputation, suddenly the douchebag attitude and treatment would make sense and would be a nice touch.

• Like 3

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I really miss the pompous attitude of nobles, and the utter patheticness of beggars in the IE games. In PoE the nobles in Brackenbury acts very polite against the watcher and his bunch of misfits. They either greet you or informs you about the state of the local situation. Even the refugees are very informative in most cases.

I miss the funny interactions with noble couples in BG 2, and the utter disgust the nobles in BG 1 shows towards you.

And I feel like Defiancy Bay lacks abit in that aspect. I like the hookers, and drunken sailors tho.

Dunno, maybe it's just nostalgia. What do you guys think? Would Deadfire gain from some more tweaking?

The nobles in Defiance Bay are not pompous because of their history, they were simply setlers from the Aedyr Empire. A lot of the nobles in Defiance Bay received the title because of the war, a simple peasant turned noble because of his bravery on the field, others received the tile because of their success in the market, and the ones that were already nobles had to fight alongside peasents, thus creating a strong bond between nobility and common folk -iifc, Lord Reymont - quest, a two story job - is a very arrogant noble and he is not from the Dyrwood.

I think that the interactions illustrated quite well the Dyrwoodians, a bunch of hard working folk, with a good heart that never says no to a fight.

What I want is more humour, more funny interactions, after a world of dead babies we need something to laugh...

• Like 1

I also think that NPCs in POE reacted pretty realistically. I was a foreigner in Defiance Bay, but I was a well-off one in a place where hereditary nobility wasn't as entrenched as it is in some other places. Galvino, on the other hand, was appropriately condescending (especially to my non-Vailian character), and some Glanfathans were hostile and arrogant in a different way that was appropriate to their culture.

I'm guessing that in Deadfire, raiders will judge you primarily by your deeds, ship, and crew. Historical pirate companies tended to be egalitarian and meritocratic by the standards of their times. Rauatai nobility might very well be haughty. The Vailian Trading Company is made up of merchants and bankers. I could see them pulling rank because Vailians tend to have a bit of a cultural superiority complex, but they might also respect wealth more than family background. The Huana obviously care about people's roots, but perhaps your character is too much of an outsider for them to apply their caste system to you. I might be totally wrong, of course. I'm just looking forward to some variety.

Edited by eselle28
  • Like 2