I'm sure this isn't the first thing on your minds about the sequel, but I'm really excited about who might be voicing our new companions. 

I've been playing another cRPG lately (which you might be playing yourself), and I realized the voice work wasn't nearly as enjoyable to listen to as PoE's was. Looking back, all the companions have really memorable performances, even the ones with purposely "plain" speaking styles like Sagani. 

I know many of you have favorite new companions already. Are any of you hoping a particular voice actor will be cast for them? I, for one, am hoping Ashly Burch will get a role, maybe as Xoti (Doing one of her more serious, Chloe-like voices of course).

Let's not forget we reached the Double VA stretchgoal, so I'm sure there'll be room for VAs other than as companions.

Edited by Wellspring
  • Like 2

I shall listen to Ashly Burch shortly. At the top of my wishlist is Allegra Clark, whom you may remember in the role of Verse in Tyranny, and I'd love her for Xoti.

The actress who did Devil of Caroc (who I believe is Elspeth Eastman) should also make a comeback, perhaps as Ydwin (be her a sidekick or a full-blown companion) or Maia.

EDIT: Checked Ashly out.

For those interested, here's a direct link to the Chloe part of her video (it's easily her best performance): Ashley as Chloe

I like her, although I would personally prefer Allegra as Xoti. However, I'd definitely welcome a Chloe-like voice work on a female companion.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I shall listen to Ashly Burch shortly. At the top of my wishlist is Allegra Clark, whom you may remember in the role of Verse in Tyranny, and I'd love her for Xoti.

The actress who did Devil of Caroc (who I believe is Elspeth Eastman) should also make a comeback, perhaps as Ydwin (be her a sidekick or a full-blown companion) or Maia.

For those interested, here's a direct link to the Chloe part of her video (it's easily her best performance): Ashley as Chloe

I like her, although I would personally prefer Allegra as Xoti. However, I'd definitely welcome a Chloe-like voice work on a female companion.

I. Fully. Approve. Of. This.

Allegra Clarke would make for an awesome Xoti (or Maia, perhaps, given the vibrant depth of her voice), and whoever it was who voiced Devil just NEEDS to make a comeback. I'm usually not into VAs too much, since I'm more partial to text alone, but when it comes to classing immersion up, those two ladies really hit the spot.

Edited by Barbedbeat
  • Like 2

For those who have not played Tyranny, here's a clip where you can hear Allegra Clark in the role of Verse: LINK

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I also am not that into voice-over, but I do like her voice, and it fits Xoti as I see her perfectly.

Allegra's voice is nice too, but it's more rogue-like. I'd like to see it as one of mc/hireling voice-sets.

Shouldn't Xoti have a Hick accent like Eder and the Devil given her background? If Defala (the slaver from White March) is anything to go by, then "hick" Readcerans sound similar like hick Dyrwoodians.

Xoti moved to the Deadfire Archipelago when she was a young girl though. She probably has the local accent.

Edited by Baltic
  • Like 1

Most of the character's VO work was quite good. Maneha, however, sounded like a soccer mom on a shopping expedition. Her voice just didn't seem to fit that role. She might have worked better as a Cipher or a Paladin.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Shouldn't Xoti have a Hick accent like Eder and the Devil given her background? If Defala (the slaver from White March) is anything to go by, then "hick" Readcerans sound similar like hick Dyrwoodians.

Xoti moved to the Deadfire Archipelago when she was a young girl though. She probably has the local accent.

I don't think we have any reference for what that accent might sound like, do we? 

The only character from POE1 I can think of from that area is Sagani, but something tells me Naasitaq is probably not all that similar to the rest of the isles. 

I don't think we have any reference for what that accent might sound like, do we? 

The only character from POE1 I can think of from that area is Sagani, but something tells me Naasitaq is probably not all that similar to the rest of the isles.

True, she just probably would've lost a Readcerean hick accent during her time there.

Personally I'm imagining more of a "Rolonda Watts as Illaoi"-type voice actress for Maia, I feel like she ought to sound much larger than the Devil for one. Think female, less bookwormy Kana.

For the most part I do agree that the voice acting for the companions was good, though I did find both the Devil and Maneha a little too preppy and sassy for my liking, in ways that didn't seem to fit the characters all that much (though I did also feel the characters were pretty all over the place too, in terms of personalities matching their histories and problems and the likes).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'd love to see Devil of Caroc's VA return, but ideally I'd like to see this happen with the return of Devil as well (presumably in an expansion). Not that she can't VA more than one companion.

I'd say the her epilogues were pretty definite, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind seeing the voice actress work on a voice set for the protagonist myself.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I think any game can be improved by adding VA by Jennifer Hale.

(That might not be the best idea from a budget perspective though. I have no idea about compensation rates for voice acting. If nothing else, maybe she would like to be involved for some "street cred.")

• Like 1

I'd say the her epilogues were pretty definite, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind seeing the voice actress work on a voice set for the protagonist myself.

I dunno, who's to say we couldn't find a rusted statue for sale in some market somewhere that had been pulled up in some fisherman's net  :biggrin:

Edited by JerekKruger