Boreal can also mean coniferous forests, though I guess it can imply a northern hemisphere biome, but not necessarily arctic or subarctic. The term covers areas like Canada and Russia all the way to Japan. Got to say I always took it as a tundra/forest meaning not a north/south location issue :)

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

PS please don't change boreal dwarves.... I like them as is... even if they are directionally challenged.

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Maybe we just think we are in the southern hemisphere, when in actuallity the magnetic poles have just flipped over  as they are supposed to on our world every now and again?  Perhaps the Eastern Reach is really the Western Reach!!!

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Maybe we just think we are in the southern hemisphere, when in actuallity the magnetic poles have just flipped over  as they are supposed to on our world every now and again?  Perhaps the Eastern Reach is really the Western Reach!!!

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

Well, you *can* just get a compass and test that theory ^^

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

PS please don't change boreal dwarves.... I like them as is... even if they are directionally challenged.

I can't speak for Messier-31, but I'm mostly being tongue-in-cheek :)

Okay, *I* will not change it, you have my word.

:sorcerer:

:bow:  :bow:  :bow:

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

• 1 month later...

Was there any word from the devs on this thread?

What are the odds of those transparency/inconsistency issues being addressed in PoE2 now? Or even in a last patch for PoE1?? xDD (one can dream)

No, but it looks like tooltips in deadfire will become richer:

- spell description

- spell tooltip

Description has cast and recovery times now.

C'mon, they gotta do a last upgrade for PoE1 along with the release of PoE2. Including the more detailed descriptions, and maybe addressing some of the stuff in the OP and some minor bugs...

C'mon, they gotta do a last upgrade for PoE1 along with the release of PoE2. Including the more detailed descriptions, and maybe addressing some of the stuff in the OP and some minor bugs...

Yes, I've been wondering how many of the enhancements in PoE2 will work their way back into PoE1. Maybe it'll be in a "Director's Cut"? ;)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'll be honest I have not a single sense of orientation in this world. Deadfire is both the tropics and closest to the coldest places...

Deadfire is made out to be big, but not bigger than the continents.

I'll be honest I have not a single sense of orientation in this world. Deadfire is both the tropics and closest to the coldest places...

And a lot of things seem to be east of everything else. Also, Naausitak is supposed to be in the middle of the archipelago, which only makes sense if it goes in a giant arc.

Also, the deadfire is supposed to be spread out over a large area with some large islands and lots of tiny ones. And theres some region that is impassible by monsters but sounds more like 'HERE BE DRAGONS' on maps of old.

And Old Vailia is supposedly south of the Vailian republics, which sounds like it should be inside the deadfire archipelago.

The devs really need to try and make a globe map of the Eora planet, should help things make more sense geographically.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

I made this attempt a couple of months ago according to the various sources:

https://forums.obsidian.net/uploads/monthly_02_2017/post-52304-0-45324700-1486033731.png

• Like 3

https://forums.obsidian.net/uploads/monthly_02_2017/post-52304-0-45324700-1486033731.png

Because you beat Obs to it, this is now my canon.

• Like 1

Why? Deadfire was moved to a new engine, so I imagine going back and redesigning/patching PoE engine would require a decent amount of recourses. You remake PoE1 in PoE2 engine, but again, I doubt it would be as simple as porting levels over (hint - I don't know how programming works). Considering PoE, in spite of some minor flaws, is in a pretty good state it all seems like a waste of time and manpower.

Only problem with the Living Lands being at the pole is that it's described as having both deserts and jungles (next to each other even, which isn't implausible because rainshadow deserts). The way it's described, the Living Lands sound like Papua-New Guniea dialed up to 11 with fjords and etc.

Only problem with the Living Lands being at the pole is that it's described as having both deserts and jungles (next to each other even, which isn't implausible because rainshadow deserts). The way it's described, the Living Lands sound like Papua-New Guniea dialed up to 11 with fjords and etc.

See... the world of Eothas is so incredible, but I don't even bother remember stuff like this because I have no context for anything.

Like seriously. My best friend used to get lost in WoW of all things, even when he had the maps, the compass, and mods galore to direct him. He'd be unable to keep track of  due north irl. While I have total spatial awareness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSv9d50fYM

Yet... YET, I am totally for a loss with this game.

See... the world of Eothas is so incredible, but I don't even bother remember stuff like this because I have no context for anything.

Like seriously. My best friend used to get lost in WoW of all things, even when he had the maps, the compass, and mods galore to direct him. He'd be unable to keep track of  due north irl. While I have total spatial awareness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSv9d50fYM

Yet... YET, I am totally for a loss with this game.

The Living Lands is meant to be at the pole. It's meant to be a large island so maybe the frozen parts aren't next to the deserts? I think it's real world allegory is Iceland.

The Living Lands is meant to be at the pole. It's meant to be a large island so maybe the frozen parts aren't next to the deserts? I think it's real world allegory is Iceland.

The wiki page for it says 'far north', not polar. And it seems to be more of an allegory of all sorts of real world islands (including Australia, which is technically a continent) with unique wildlife and is also apparently extremely mountainous. I don't think theres really any single real world allegory/analogue to it.

edit: Whoop, trimming quote pyramid.

Edited by smjjames

Australia isn't "technically" a continent; Australia and surroudning islands are the whole and entire representative of the Australian Continental Plate. It is a continent, whole and entire, in every way. Just as much as North America, or Africa. It's just a *small* continent.

According to Josh the Living Lands are like huge Iceland.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/158161818391/hello-sir-a-question-regarding-a-certain-part-of