Rpg Fallout 1/2 style ?

Ogi79

After  reading all the news and pick bits and pieces  i am 95% sure that you Obsidian are about to make  turned-based postapocalyptyc game (Fallout 1/2 style)  ?   Any insights about it?

I don't know about Obsidian's plans but from your description you really should try a recent indie game called Underrail.

Underrail is a great Fallout-esque title. It has issues, but it's strengths outweigh them. If you want post apocalyptic and turn-based combat... Then look no further.

Edited by Ganrich

• 2 weeks later...

The post-apocalyptic genre feels like its been done to death. I get why people like it: with a tiny surviving population, the hero becomes a larger-than-life figure who can have a major impact. But isn't it time to explore some other genres?

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

After  reading all the news and pick bits and pieces  i am 95% sure that you Obsidian are about to make  turned-based postapocalyptyc game (Fallout 1/2 style)  ?   Any insights about it?

You might be absolutely right. At GDC this year (I think it was GDC? Or was it elsewhere... hmm, regardless, it was a trade show on video games) a reporter mentioned the obvious statement that "Sci-Fi is IN!". Lots of new sci-fi games are "in fashion", so to speak. It's the age of VR and AR (Mixed Reality), the future is on our minds and so is on the developers minds.

​Makes me wonder, just a tiny little bit, what a "Josh Sawyer's dream futuristic RPG" (All talk has been about a "historical RPG") would look like (What would​ a Darklands/Battle Brothers styled Sci-Fi be like?).

Nah, but OP is probably right, the "fashion" (If there is such a thing as "video game fashion") points towards it. Hm, maybe "development/developer fashion" is a better term?

mmm. The pixel graphics look kinda lazy and the controls take a lot of getting used to. I couldn't get into it. Not a patient man with games. If I don't feel it the first 20 mins I move on to something else. 

​I somewhat agree, Gorgon. The graphics were one of the things that got me bothered on my first two-three tries (in particular, the way the character walks), but after a little while when I got into it (after the first couple of quests) it picks up pace and gets exciting. I'd compare it to a car that accelerates slowly, but when you get up to speed you don't want to stop the ride :D

​My problem the first couple of rounds I tried to play it I made weak ass characters, and had to start all over to enjoy myself, which meant I had to play through the first quests again (and relive the most boring parts). That made me take a long break from it. Also, I played 20 hours of it during Beta, and then patch came and I had to start all over again :(

​Regardless, it's a great game. All in all, I just wish there were some sort of "Skip Beginning" button in these games, you only need to play through the beginning once after all (the first "Get to know the game"-Quests).

It's true that everything before Junkyard isn't very engaging. The game takes a bit too long before taking off.

As for the graphics, I wouldn't call them lazy because the game is incredibly rich in content for such a low budget project. Choices had to be made.