Does it have any function? I started thinking about this in the Walking Request thread, and thought it deserved its own topic.

Mainly in cities (Would Guards warn you to sheath your weapons if you have them out, etc.)

• Like 1

The guards getting on your case would be a pain in the ass, but I think everyone loves the idea of shealthing weapons just for aesthetic reasons.

When an enemy appears, I want to dramatically throw off my cloak *woosh* and draw my shining long-sword.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 5

I think it'd be pretty cool honestly, but probably a pain in the ass to code :p

*fight breaks out in the city, you win, post combat scene*

Guard: Thank you for helping us out!

*scene end*

Guard: Sheath your weapon sir!!

I'm guessing it would be a pain with guards, or if it were any kind of a general thing. I wouldn't mind seeing it in a scripted encounter or two, though. If you come to an opponent trying to broker peace rather than fight and have your blade unsheathed, they might start things off with a nastier comment than they otherwise would. That could result in a meaningful choice and interesting interactions.

I think there's a decent chance it's just automatic, though. Which I suppose really isn't so bad, as adventurers who run with unsheathed swords probably don't live long enough to reach level 20.

• Like 1

I would love it, personally. It is certainly an idea with a following (just check morrowind/oblivion/skyrim sheathing mods, with enormous amount of scripting/modeling work done by the fans. Heck, even Dragon Age: Origins had a mod to remodel weapon sheathing to be more Witcher style, instead of what it shipped with).

That said, I see a lot of problems with it for Pillars, namely having to do with scripted encounter resolutions.  I recall a few checks and available resolution options  that played out differently if you had a dagger or a ranged weapon equipped, for example.

The guards getting on your case would be a pain in the ass, but I think everyone loves the idea of shealthing weapons just for aesthetic reasons.

When an enemy appears, I want to dramatically throw off my cloak *woosh* and draw my shining long-sword.

You sound like a serial flasher.

I think it's only for aesthetic reasons and I appreciate that, anything that makes my character look slightly more badass is fine with me. I had to learn how to dodge in Dark Souls just because I didn't liked to see a shield in my back all the time, before I play any type of game I look the end-game armour sets to see if they are cool, if they aren't I don't buy the game, I think that is why I never played any JRPG...

I'd prefer it to be automatic in combat (and possibly with an option in certain dialogues: [Draw weapons] "Think carefully before your next move." )

If I have to tell them to draw their weapons, I'll get to the stage with: "Why is Eder punching that troll? ... Ohhhh, I forgot to tell him to draw his sword."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: