Recommend some gaming news sites?

Like the title says, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some gaming news sites. I read gamebanshee and rocks, paper, shotgun often, and kotaku has good writing once in a blue moon, but does anyone here use something else?

ps please dont say RPG codex, I checked it out because Infinitron does such a good job updating news here in the forums and he is very active there, but I just came from reading it for about an hour and found it to be a caustic cesspool of people who hate everything.

People whining about other sites being negative... don't understand the hilarity of the negativity vibes they give off. :p

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess we should all just sit here smiling and never say anything but "Everything is awesome!" until our eyes bleed. Didn't realize complaining about an online website would upset you! If I had, I'd've been much more careful regarding any isuess complains I've made, I assure you! How could we have ever thought we could express less-than-gloriously-happy opinions. My bad.

*rolls eyes*

• Like 1

People whining about other sites being negative... don't understand the hilarity of the negativity vibes they give oI

I don't lack self awareness, but I clicked on like 4 topics over there and found them to be very rude. By stating my assessment I was saving those who came here with suggestions from throwing that name out, and giving some context for the type of coverage I would like to see or not see from said suggestions. Liking RPG watch so far, thanks Rjshae.

KKKodex

Oh, sorry.

I just came from reading it for about an hour and found it to be a caustic cesspool of people who hate everything.

Took you an hour?

Jokes aside, it's just how they roll, don't let it drag you down. There are actually good discussions of narrative and gameplay over there, and their pre/reviews are generally good quality in terms of depth (if not necessarily analysis). Disregard the drama and the 3edgy5u attitude and you'll be fine.

I mostly get my news from the thread here. "Professional" gaming news outlets suck but they also tend to get the scoop before "tier 2" sites, so I'm happy to let our dutiful members here dive into those cesspits and just read whatever they figure is interesting. Means I sometimes get news a few days later, but in exchange I don't have to rage so much at idiot "journalists".

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Peace brothers. How about Kotaku? I like the clean interface, and it covers J-games quite thoroughly.

I do like some of what Kotaku does for sure. Every once and awhile they will come out with a really good piece, and Brain Ashcroft's posts from Japan can be very informative or interesting. 

For RPG news RPGWatch is the best, Gamebanshee a bit behind.

Codex really ain't for news anyway. Anyone who takes things seriously is better off avoiding it since it'll just raise the blood pressure.

Besides GameBanshee, I also find RockPaperShotgun is interesting from time to time. ModDB is good for various  modding projects.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Used to like RPS, and Tim Stone's Flare Path was absolutely brilliant for strategy/ simulation stuff even when it was on subjects I'd normally have no interest in. Got heartily sick of their political stuff though, and of the newer writers the only one I liked was Adam Smith.

• Like 1

"Oh, I'm sorry. I guess we should all just sit here smiling and never say anything but "Everything is awesome!" until our eyes bleed. Didn't realize complaining about an online website would upset you! If I had, I'd've been much more careful regarding any isuess complains I've made, I assure you! How could we have ever thought we could express less-than-gloriously-happy opinions. My bad.

*rolls eyes*"

Do you even know who are replying to? LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Uh, yeah, positive thinking FTW!

BTW This isn't a news site, but if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the Extra Credits youtube channel. They basically talk about game design and there's some really interesting stuff there.

This forum is number one source for me. Few people here have very close taste to mine, when it goes about gaming. Once in a while, they put very good review on Arstechnica.com (.co.uk), but that is not a dedicated gaming site.

I also really like The Jimquisition by Jim Sterling. He is definitely a controversial figure, but he is one of very few game journalists, which you can be sure, that he is not rotten and corrupted to the bone, because he is funded by Patreon and his income does not depend on advertisement revenue from game publishers...

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Honestly. A lot of people here share my likes and dislikes and I've definitely heard about a couple different and new games here as well. Have always liked the community.

Over the years I've just paid less and less attention to the click bait arcticles of the igns and gamespots of the world.

• Like 1

I tend to visit a bunch, actually. Subscribed to a bunch of Youtube channels (Extra Credits, Super BunnyHop, Idiotech, Total Biscuit, Lazy Video Game Reviews - most of these sometimes do news pieces that I'll watch when I see), listen to a few podcasts (tovg podcast and co-optional podcast) that have specific news section and periodically take a look at Rock Paper Shotgun and Eurogamer, altho RPS's political topics are rather grating on my nerves and I really dislike Eurogamer's front page design.

The most important thing tho, as per usual, is to always check sources of whatever you're reading - the first thing I do when I see an article on something that I find interesting or surprising is to google about and do some fact checking, which usually isn't particularly difficult. Unless it's a 'Hot scoop' in which case it should be treated as a rumor anyway.