What's so Funny?

rjshae

You don't know who Bill Nye is?

Does having a US syndicated TV show for 5 years really lead to world-wide recognition?

I'd say his internet presence has stretched out a bit farther than that at this point. He's basically a step behind Neil Degrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking in terms of recognizability in Science.

Never seen the guy on the internet before the meme.

I just googled the guy. He is not even a scientist. You placing this kids show host with Stephen Hawking is mind boggling.

I think I asked this before, but aren't you supposed to be a teacher? How low are the education standards in USA?

You must have had terrible text comprehension marks.

What he said was "He's basically a step behind Neil Degrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking in terms of recognizability in Science". Nowhere does he claim that Nye actually is a scientist... much rather, he states that Nye is a popular representative of science, you might also say one of the faces of science.

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Yikes, no need to lash out little buddy.

edit: I'm glad you learned something.

giphy.gif

Yes, I learned that USA teachers when asked to name three scientist can name one actual scientist, one celebrity and one tv show host :grin:

b050ab2018264d76a4097d379feee3c8736200aa

You don't know who Bill Nye is?

Does having a US syndicated TV show for 5 years really lead to world-wide recognition?
I'd say his internet presence has stretched out a bit farther than that at this point. He's basically a step behind Neil Degrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking in terms of recognizability in Science.
Never seen the guy on the internet before the meme.

I just googled the guy. He is not even a scientist. You placing this kids show host with Stephen Hawking is mind boggling.

I think I asked this before, but aren't you supposed to be a teacher? How low are the education standards in USA?

You must have had terrible text comprehension marks.

What he said was "He's basically a step behind Neil Degrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking in terms of recognizability in Science". Nowhere does he claim that Nye actually is a scientist... much rather, he states that Nye is a popular representative of science, you might also say one of the faces of science.

And what would we call a representative of science?

199fc1991d79d23592e4d467d3fd605721d7f238

A scientist is a representative of science, but a representative of science does not have to be a scientist.

A more simple example might be: the queen is a representative of England, but not every representative of england is a queen (for example, Theresa May is PM)

• Like 3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Welcome to an elite club, Mr. Al. Club Rap-Battles-I've-Actually-Enjoyed. As of now, you're the first and only entry.

Mr Al is epic, even my mother loved that one! 

Aw come on, Key and Peele always kill it.

I love their multi features, like this one;

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I likd ERB but last season was extremely weak. My favourite is Jack the Ripper vs Hanibal

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Yes, I learned that USA teachers when asked to name three scientist can name one actual scientist, one celebrity and one tv show host  :grin:

To be technical, Hurl named a Mechanical Engineer, an Astrophysicist and a Theoretical Physicist, all of whom are celebrities in the US and who all have hosted TV shows.
  • Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

All the other scientists I know are dead.  :skull:

I didn't actually bring up Bill Nye, technically speaking. Sharp_One did, when he posted a meme with Bill Nye in it. Then Gfted1 pointed out that the meme was inaccurate (which is hardly a surprise) and I made a bad joke about that, and then Sharp_One got defensive and is now attacking the American Education system.

Which seems a bit more mean than funny at this point, but humor is subjective.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

I likd ERB but last season was extremely weak. My favourite is Jack the Ripper vs Hanibal

Yeah, season 5 haven't really been up to snuff either, I liked Bond vs Austin Powers though.

All the other scientists I know are dead.  :skull:

RIP Sagan. :(

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Did you need that report when your Bill Nye meme turned out to be lazy propaganda?

Typical leftist response.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra