Politics 2017 part 4

Hurlshort

It was made by Armalite so is just their label. Typical leftist being scared and not understanding things!

:D

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I tried to look into it, but it seems to be a bit confusing. According to the wonderfully reliable wikipedia, the Armalite AR-15 was an assault rifle that has been discontinued but is the basis for the M-16, and Colt purchased the design and started making a semi-automatic version for civilian and police use. So I am assuming typically when you hear about someone using an AR-15 to kill intruders or schoolchildren (trigger warning!) it is the semi-automatic one. My apologies. :p 

Wonder how Trump will handle the next school shooting.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Build a wall?

around the school

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well I tried to look into it, but it seems to be a bit confusing. According to the wonderfully reliable wikipedia, the Armalite AR-15 was an assault rifle that has been discontinued but is the basis for the M-16, and Colt purchased the design and started making a semi-automatic version for civilian and police use. So I am assuming typically when you hear about someone using an AR-15 to kill intruders or schoolchildren (trigger warning!) it is the semi-automatic one. My apologies. :p

ArmaLite AR-15 is assault rifle designed by ArmaLite, Colt bought ArmaLite in 1959 and made variant of it for US military that went with name M16 Assault Rifle during Vietnam War. 

Colt has discontinued to make AR-15 assault rifles, but it also started to make self semi-automatic versions of them called Colt AR-15 for civilian use in 1964, more commonly just AR-15, because other gun manufactures in US have made of tons of clones of the weapon when it gained popularity after 1994, which has lead people calling Colt AR-15 and these clones all as AR-15s. 

AR it self stands for ArmaLite Rifle, they used it for all their rifle designs not just assault rifles.

Apology accepted :p

Now if you really want to trigger us you should use the term assault weapon because the definition varies quite a bit and tends to focus on cosmetics and not functionality

A little info for anyone that cares

Explains the difference between a semi-automatic rifle and an assault rifle and then does a cosmetic change that would hit some/most assault weapon definitions.

The end bit gets political but overall it's an informative clip

...and sorry for the derail

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

An assault rifle in the kitchen sounds like a recipe for major property damage, to be a bit glib. :p

Why would you mention assault rifle in a story that doesn't involve one?

Part of my leftist conspiracy, of course!

But to get back on track, apparently Peters (the son who fired the shots) kept asking the police if the burglars were going to be alright. As I said, this is pretty much a tragedy all around. We all enjoy a good action movie and the theory of a couple intruders getting what they deserve, but in reality it is a terrible situation to be in.

And of course you'll have a bunch of people making it political on both sides. :getlost:   

• Like 1

your confusion is understandable. assault rifle and assault weapon is, in addition to plain english descriptors, legal definitions which may be elastic and even illogical.  largely cosmetic changes, which have no impact on a weapon's lethality, create a transformative potential converting an otherwise legal firearm into an assault weapon for the purposes o' bans 'pon such weapons.  add a pistol grip and a telescoping stock to the ruger mini 14 ranch rifle pictured below and you will violate assault weapon bans.

5801.jpg

why? does a stock and pistol grip addition make the above weapon more lethal?  is the changes gonna make the ruger more effective as a mass-shooting weapon? the ruger, with a few cosmetic alterations, will maintain calbre and muzzle velocity and rate o' fire, but the cosmetic changes expose the ruger owner to extreme harsh legal punishments.

as an aside, we use the ruger mini 14 'cause it performs virtual identical to an ar-15.  the ar-15 looks so much more sinister and deadly, but hurl is gonna be no more dangerous with the ar-15 than with the ruger mini 14.  would hurl be shocked to see a ruger mini 14 in the home o' your average red-stater? 

in addition, the media can be misleading regarding this topic, but often it is a matter o' simple ignorance rather than some kinda sinister motive.

personal, we don't get the appeal o' owning an ar-15. am s'posing ar-15 purchases is much cheaper than pen1s enlargement procedures.  dunno. handguns is actual responsible for far more homicides and suicides than is rifles o' all varieties.   in point o' fact, in a typical year, blunt objects such as hammers and baseball bats is accounting for 2x as many American deaths as all rifles.  too much misinformation and misunderstanding.  too many images o' school children killed by sinister looking weapons. 

*shrug*

if gorsuch joins the Court, we expect to see a sea change regarding 2nd amendment jurisprudence. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps the heading o' the don lemon video is particular amusing as the uploader clear were as ignorant and misinformed as don lemon.  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Pen1s enlargement procedures" gives me a phantom pain, I shudder to think of the specfics.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

if gorsuch joins the Court, we expect to see a sea change regarding 2nd amendment jurisprudence. 

How do you figure? I though as long as the court remain 5-4 I figure the 2nd Amendment is a settled issue for a time. DC v Heller was pretty definitive IMO. Prohibition = no, reasonable restrictions on caliber, action, and transport = OK.

If the balance tilts to the left there are folks champing at the bit to race a case up the pole to see Heller overturned or mitigated but even if they started today it would take years.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

much o' heller decision folks point to were dicta and Court since heller has refused to grant cert for the vast majority o' 2nd amendment cases, but there is multiple states with assault weapon bans which prohibit sales and purchase o' "military-style" weapons based on largely cosmetic alterations.  the right kinda case has not been available 'til recent. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That would be hilarious!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That 100 acres in Wyoming with no utilities and no TV/Internet/etc is sounding better every day.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hah, I was just going to post that. :p

Here is the go fund me page: https://www.gofundme.com/BuyCongressData

The CAH guy warned against donating to any campaigns like these for the time being, because we don't even know the mechanic for buying data yet. That campaign looks like it was created by some random.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

That 100 acres in Wyoming with no utilities and no TV/Internet/etc is sounding better every day.

I could survive with no internet or TV, but no utilities...no way of listening to my music or playing my games or reading my books (I've switched entirely to ebooks: I hate the feeling of real books)...I didn't spend years of work carefully putting together my entertainment/media collection just to not be able to use it! :p

Hah, I was just going to post that. :p

Here is the go fund me page: https://www.gofundme.com/BuyCongressData

The CAH guy warned against donating to any campaigns like these for the time being, because we don't even know how the mechanic for buying data yet. That campaign looks like it was created by some random.

Oh, I wouldn't pledge, I just thought it was humorous.

I must be getting soft in my old age because this whole story seems tragic. Three young kids killed, a fourth (the getaway driver) was hit with 4 count of murder so she will never see the sun again. Yes, they were the bad guy, and faced with the same situation I would probably blast them too, but I like to think I would just wound them in the legs or something instead of two dead in the house and one dying in the driveway while trying to run away. :(

I doubt it. Your house being invaded by three burglars is no time for attempting trick shots. Center of mass all the way. They only become poor misguided kids once they're dead.

That would be hilarious!

The way I understand it the bill only allows the sale of statistical data, not personally identifiable data. All it does is repeal a recently adopted Obama regulation, which hasn't even gone into effect yet. Also apparently Google, Facebook etc. do that as part of their business model, the regulation singled out ISP's only.

Edit: Interesting fact, the AR round is actually much less powerful than a standard rifle round. It's called an intermediary round, in between a pistol and a standard rifle. The Germans pioneered the concept when they came up with assault rifle during WW2, as a standard rifle round would make full auto fire too hard to control and make the weapon much more heavy and expensive to manufacture (BAR).

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm with WoD on this one. Those "misguided children" would have killed him dead had he not been armed. I have weapons in every room of my home and a firm policy of shooting first and asking questions later. If I catch someone on my property I'll ask them to leave nicely. If someone forces their way into my home that will be all for them.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I'm betting a lot of it is searching for transseuxal prostitutes(given the apparent spike in demand for the Republican convention) and wikipedia articles.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands