Politics 2017 part 4

Hurlshort

not that I don't get some of these ideas and I can support few of them, but once they started to be holier than thou i seen where will it ends

"My precious fee-fees are more important than policies! I mean, I totally agree with the ideas they have, but they sometimes called me bad names so I guess I must now oppose everything they stand for because reasons"

Man, and they say progressives are thin-skinned.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Friendly reminder that Anti-FA are the brownshirts of the left. They aren't "demonstrating" as much as trying to vandalize or pick a fight.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I guess that makes some sense.

This makes sense on some levels but isn't IMO  the actual correct answer that applies to " why are some people marching for Trump  " 

For some Trump supporters they truly believe all the promises and hyperbole that Trump used during the election campaign. Trumps victory was a combination of tapping into a certain view many white Americans have of the reality of the USA  under Obama and what the USA needs to do to become " great " again 

This is a very nuanced and complex topic that will have many different and varied views but if I just focus on what the objective " making the USA  great again " could mean

For some Americans free speech has been undermined by politically correct commentators who they believe falsely represent hypercritical so called " SJ " types

Trump gained support from this group from day 1 when he openly ridiculed and dismissed "PC ", his view resonated with people who think "PC " is about people not telling the truth 

And sometimes supporters of SJ unintentionally corrupt and make the concept of "PC" appear like a real dysfunction and they do come across as hypocrites. For example if you say you believe in a tolerant and non-discriminatory society then white men also deserve this same respect 

But PC is not suppose to be about hiding the truth, its much simpler than that. Its supposed to be where we are able to debate and discuss potentially controversial topics like " colonialism and its impact on black African people " without offending any one group 

So for some Americans they still think its okay for Trump to say what he wants on Twitter because they cannot or will not accept the way that Trump communicates can be both interesting but also divisive and leads to unintended confusion. They think this is an irrefutable part of what they like about Trump

For me Trump should drop Twitter because he is impulsive and his opinion on Twitter is more confused than positive ...so its about the greater societal impact his Twitter comments have 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Political Correctness is to express opinions that aren't what you really believe in order to gain political support, which is what most of Trump's opinions seems to be as he flipflops constantly subjects in order to gain political support. In past politicians where blamed to be PC in order to gain support from minorities like African Americans, Latinos and sexual minorities, but this days it seems that new target of PC is rural Americans.

Political correctness is often also linked to use of non-derogatory language and avoiding to speak certain subjects, when it comes to those previous mentioned minorities and it seems that with change of its target also tone of political correct language has change in so much so that they call it now politically incorrectness, even though purpose is absolutely same, but now people who are PC seems to be very open about fact that they are PC, although as said they like to use term that gives indication that they are some thing that opposes PC.

• Like 1

not that I don't get some of these ideas and I can support few of them, but once they started to be holier than thou i seen where will it ends

"My precious fee-fees are more important than policies! I mean, I totally agree with the ideas they have, but they sometimes called me bad names so I guess I must now oppose everything they stand for because reasons"

Man, and they say progressives are thin-skinned.

not sure where this is coming from at all. Care to elaborate?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Political Correctness is to express opinions that aren't what you really believe in order to gain political support, which is what most of Trump's opinions seems to be as he flipflops constantly subjects in order to gain political support. In past politicians where blamed to be PC in order to gain support from minorities like African Americans, Latinos and sexual minorities, but this days it seems that new target of PC is rural Americans.

Political correctness is often also linked to use of non-derogatory language and avoiding to speak certain subjects, when it comes to those previous mentioned minorities and it seems that with change of its target also tone of political correct language has change in so much so that they call it now politically incorrectness, even though purpose is absolutely same, but now people who are PC seems to be very open about fact that they are PC, although as said they like to use term that gives indication that they are some thing that opposes PC.

Isn't being "politically correct" more avoiding saying things that could be perceived as being offensive? Trump would certainly not qualify under that.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

PC is absolutely not suppose to be about saying things that you dont believe in order to gain a political or social advantage. Some people may believe this but that is not its purpose. Its where we make points that may offend people if spoken in a certain way but instead we make the same point without offending people 

So there is nothing wrong with being PC if its purpose is used correctly

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

PC is absolutely not suppose to be about saying things that you dont believe in order to gain a political or social advantage. Some people may believe this but that is not its purpose. Its where we make points that may offend people if spoken in a certain way but instead we make the same point without offending people 

So there is nothing wrong with being PC if its purpose is used correctly

basically avoiding disscussion with dumb people

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Isn't being "politically correct" more avoiding saying things that could be perceived as being offensive? Trump would certainly not qualify under that.

I would say that avoiding to say things that could be perceived as being offensive, is just somebody being well-mannered/correct, politically in front implies that person themself or other people see them doing so to gain political points, especially if they use mannerism/correctness that don't come from their own back ground. 

So person who is incorrect towards certain group of people in order to please other group of people is very similar than your classical political correctism.

Although for lots of people this days political correctness and correctness seem to be the same thing, without any difference in meaning, in which case politically incorrect just means being ****, which is quite far from being correct. Although good manners have never prevented people finding ways to be ****, so who knows.

Yes, we must all condemn people who pepper spray peaceful marchers.

Apparently they were arrested. But what are they marching for, exactly?

I thought the caption was obvious. Black Bloc goons attacked a pro-Trump march. But this time it wasn't Berkeley.

That still doesn't answer the question. Why are thousands of people marching for Trump? He is the President, he won the election. What is the purpose?

It's also fun how you refer to only one side as goons. Predictable as always. Seems to be plenty of goons available on both sides in those pictures.

No one ever marched for Obama after he won? You can only march in protest? Trump is being attacked from all sides, I don't see it's strange at all that his supporters would want to express their support in a collective and public way. As far as being goons, it's not being a goon to defend yourself when attacked.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

No one ever marched for Obama after he won? You can only march in protest? Trump is being attacked from all sides, I don't see it's strange at all that his supporters would want to express their support in a collective and public way. As far as being goons, it's not being a goon to defend yourself when attacked.

I honestly don't remember anyone marching for Obama after the election. Again, why would they need to?

As far as goons, this is the picture you chose to post:

aptopix-trump-rally-violence.jpg

Self defense is your argument here? Are you really so blinded by your partisan loyalties that you can't see the problem here? These guys should not be representatives of your movement, just like the Black Bloc is a terrible representative of a liberal movement. They are all goons.

I honestly don't remember anyone marching for Obama after the election. Again, why would they need to?

As far as goons, this is the picture you chose to post:

aptopix-trump-rally-violence.jpg

Self defense is your argument here? Are you really so blinded by your partisan loyalties that you can't see the problem here? These guys should not be representatives of your movement, just like the Black Bloc is a terrible representative of a liberal movement. They are all goons.

Its just a picture, where I agree that violence is not solution you don't know full story, and from what someone else posted they first start spaying them with pepper spray so what do you expect? :/

My take on this whole thing is that it is entirely unnecessary. You have a large group of marchers without any real clear purpose or agenda. They've won the election, and they are still marching. It smacks more of zealotry than political activism, and it is all to support this ridiculous narrative that the Trump Administration is a victim of the Evil Media. Then you have a small group of anarchist types who basically want to get the snot beaten out of them because that plays into the ridiculous narrative that Trump is a fascist and this is the start of a new race war. Both groups are morons. 

My take on this whole thing is that it is entirely unnecessary. You have a large group of marchers without any real clear purpose or agenda. They've won the election, and they are still marching. It smacks more of zealotry than political activism, and it is all to support this ridiculous narrative that the Trump Administration is a victim of the Evil Media. Then you have a small group of anarchist types who basically want to get the snot beaten out of them because that plays into the ridiculous narrative that Trump is a fascist and this is the start of a new race war. Both groups are morons. 

Well let me put it this way, where there anti Obama marches 3 or how many months after is election where almost all media are making fun of him for getting Nobel prize for ... who knows?

@Hurlshot They have a purpose and an agenda, but what's it to you anyway? They're peacefully exercising their right to free speech and assembly. And yes, self defense is my argument because the caption to the picture clearly stated that the anarchists pepper sprayed the Trump supporters.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

What's it to me? You haven't figured that out yet?

Well let me put it this way, where there anti Obama marches 3 or how many months after is election where almost all media are making fun of him for getting Nobel prize for ... who knows?

Were there? I remember a fair amount of criticism in the media about him getting the Nobel prize, but I don't recall protests.

After looking into it a bit, apparently the protests were surrounding his continuation of the Bush wars in Afghaniastan and Iraq. Which is humorous given WoD just blamed him for pulling out of Iraq. Ah to be stuck in the middle. :p

Why would you call someone a goon just because he defends himself? 

It seems the left is all about the right to defend yourself... unless God forbid you actually manage to do so, then you are the problem. F logic.

When has the left been all about the right to defend yourself? The left is usually equated with gun control. 

"Obama’s election in 2008 was preceded and followed by violent attacks and property destruction targeted against minorities.

Kaylon Johnson, an African American campaign worker for Obama, was physically assaulted for wearing an Obama T-shirt in Louisiana following the 2008 election. The three white male attackers shouted “**** Obama!” and “**** president!” as they broke Johnson’s nose and fractured his eye-socket, requiring surgery.

More frequently, Obama’s presidency was marked by effigies of our first black president hanging from nooses across the country, for example in Kentucky, Washington State, and Maine, or being burned around the world. What Trump supporters fail to remember is that following Obama’s election, property was destroyed across the country, for example in Pennsylvania, Texas, and North Carolina, and a predominately black church was torched in Massachusetts.

In 2008, anti-Obama protesters lashed out against minorities because of their discontentment with a black man being voted into the office of president for the first time in our nation’s history. Conversely, in 2016, anti-Trump protesters are holding mostly peaceful demonstrations because of their discontentment with a man, who has ostracized minorities, being voted into the office of president."

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/305749-republicans-employ-double-standard-to-discredit

They sure look like a bunch of douches, at least.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Supporters of Tuesday’s repeal vote argued that the privacy regulations stifle innovation by forcing Internet providers to abide by unreasonably strict guidelines.

The ****?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not a big surprise. The idea that either major party has any interest in our freedoms is pretty ridiculous at this point. I'm sure WoD and Sharp_One will find some way to justify it though.  :thumbsup: