Politics 2017 part 4

Hurlshort

Speaking about Turkish enrichment

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/03/21/520183360/at-trumps-d-c-hotel-a-u-s-turkey-relations-conference-stirs-up-ethics-questions?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=politics&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

At Trump's D.C. Hotel, A U.S.-Turkey Relations Conference Stirs Up Ethics Questions

This spring, the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., will host a three-day event co-hosted by a business group.

That's not unusual. But here's what is: The group's chair founded the company that paid President Trump's former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, for lobbying work that may have benefited the Turkish government.

This mashup of money involving Turks, Flynn and Trump has concerned ethics experts who worry about a "pay-to-play" atmosphere in Washington. Here are the basics:

Alptekin also is the founder of Inovo BV, a company that paid Flynn's consulting firm, Flynn Intel Group, $530,000 for lobbying work that may have benefited the Turkish government.

Ruya Eichelberger, a spokesperson for the American Turkish Council, says the dates when the organization wanted to hold the conference this year weren't open at the Ritz-Carlton. They did their first walk-through at the Trump hotel in 2015, she says, while it was under construction, and booked it in October 2016. The previous annual conference took place at the Ritz-Carlton from Oct. 30 to Nov. 1, 2016.

But ethics experts have concerns about special interest groups, lobbyists and foreign governments bringing their business to Trump, who has a dual role as president and innkeeper. These critics point to the U.S. Constitution's Emoluments Clause, which prohibits presidents from accepting benefits from foreign powers.

ehh well, so someone is concerned about 'ethics' of previously business mans advisor paying for lobbing while Hillary already being part of government is getting paid by Saudi is not seen as unethical? oh cmon...

You mean that they are concerned of private businesses that current president has with foreign power.

whole text is in past tense so I am not sure what d you mean

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/03/21/520183360/at-trumps-d-c-hotel-a-u-s-turkey-relations-conference-stirs-up-ethics-questions?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=politics&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

At Trump's D.C. Hotel, A U.S.-Turkey Relations Conference Stirs Up Ethics Questions

This spring, the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., will host a three-day event co-hosted by a business group.

But ethics experts have concerns about special interest groups, lobbyists and foreign governments bringing their business to Trump, who has a dual role as president and innkeeper. These critics point to the U.S. Constitution's Emoluments Clause, which prohibits presidents from accepting benefits from foreign powers.

ehh well, so someone is concerned about 'ethics' of previously business mans advisor paying for lobbing while Hillary already being part of government is getting paid by Saudi is not seen as unethical? oh cmon...

You mean that they are concerned of private businesses that current president has with foreign power.

I highlighted ethics concerns mentioned in the article

Again, all this stuff happen when he was NOT part of government. Are there any records of that lobbing happening now?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Again, all this stuff happen when he was NOT part of government. Are there any records of that lobbing happening now?

You are saying that meeting that has not happened has already happened?

See this line 

"This spring, the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., will host a three-day event co-hosted by a business group."

Here even with more detail 

"What: The 36th Annual Conference on U.S.-Turkey Relations is scheduled for May 21-23."

And who is giving money to Trump

"Who: The Turkey-U.S. Business Council, known as TAIK, and the American Turkish Council are the sponsors. The former group is chaired by a Turkish-American businessman, Ekim Alptekin, who has ties to the Turkish government."

"More about who: Alptekin also is the founder of Inovo BV, a company that paid Flynn's consulting firm, Flynn Intel Group, $530,000 for lobbying work that may have benefited the Turkish government."

And then there is this

"But ethics experts have concerns about special interest groups, lobbyists and foreign governments bringing their business to Trump, who has a dual role as president and innkeeper. These critics point to the U.S. Constitution's Emoluments Clause, which prohibits presidents from accepting benefits from foreign powers."

And here you have in more detail what article says about ethics concerns.

See this line 

"This spring, the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., will host a three-day event co-hosted by a business group."

"What: The 36th Annual Conference on U.S.-Turkey Relations is scheduled for May 21-23."

"Who: The Turkey-U.S. Business Council, known as TAIK, and the American Turkish Council are the sponsors. The former group is chaired by a Turkish-American businessman, Ekim Alptekin, who has ties to the Turkish government."

"More about who: Alptekin also is the founder of Inovo BV, a company that paid Flynn's consulting firm, Flynn Intel Group, $530,000 for lobbying work that may have benefited the Turkish government."

And then there is this

"But ethics experts have concerns about special interest groups, lobbyists and foreign governments bringing their business to Trump, who has a dual role as president and innkeeper. These critics point to the U.S. Constitution's Emoluments Clause, which prohibits presidents from accepting benefits from foreign powers."

Still not sure whats that big deal here, its not like lobbying started with Trump and its not like he done anything wrong in this regard either

See this line 

And then there is this

Still not sure whats that big deal here, its not like lobbying started with Trump and its not like he done anything wrong in this regard either

He is taking money from foreign power, which is against U.S. Constitution's Emoluments Clause according those who have expressed their concerns about ethics.

He is taking money from foreign power, which is against U.S. Constitution's Emoluments Clause according those who have expressed their concerns about ethics.

same as Clintons

same as Clintons

Not sure how that excuses anything, since people were clamoring to throw Hillary in jail.

same as Clintons

Not sure how that excuses anything, since people were clamoring to throw Hillary in jail.

yeah but not because of Saudi dollars. I am not saying I agree with lobbying, I am just saying its not anything new or related to Trump

same as Clintons

Clinton's had business that took money from foreign powers when Bill was president?

same as Clintons

yeah but not because of Saudi dollars. I am not saying I agree with lobbying, I am just saying its not anything new or related to Trump

How is it not related to Trump that business that he owns take money from foreign powers?

same as Clintons

Clinton's had business that took money from foreign powers when Bill was president?

Yes - Well it was his wife 'Charity' but we all know better:

http://www.politifact.com/arizona/statements/2016/jul/11/donald-trump/did-hillary-clinton-take-money-countries-treat-wom/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/us/politics/hillary-clinton-presidential-campaign-charity.html

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/25/why-did-the-saudi-regime-and-other-gulf-tyrannies-donate-millions-to-the-clinton-foundation/

Edited by Chilloutman

same as Clintons

Yes - Well it was his wife 'Charity' but we all know better:

http://www.politifact.com/arizona/statements/2016/jul/11/donald-trump/did-hillary-clinton-take-money-countries-treat-wom/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/us/politics/hillary-clinton-presidential-campaign-charity.html

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/25/why-did-the-saudi-regime-and-other-gulf-tyrannies-donate-millions-to-the-clinton-foundation/

Clinton Foundation was founded by Bill in 1997 for rising funds for to build presidential library in Little Rock, Arkansas. It become charity in 2001, which is when Bill Clinton become its sole key member. Hilary didn't have official position in it until 2013. Although she had ethics agreement (which was criticized because of possible of conflict of interest that it still left open by ethics experts) with State Department during her time as Secretary of State.

I would also point out that Bill Clinton was found to be in violation of ethics and more during his presidency.

Also Washington Post for example reported possible ethics conflict for Hillary because of her role in Clinton Foundation in 2014, just because she was making her 2016 presidency bid, which lead Hilary giving up her position in foundation in 2015.

same as Clintons

Both the Bushes did as well. W especially also got funding after leaving the presidency in nearly the exact same style as Hillary/ Bill did, though I'm pretty sure he actually wound up his charity once his library was built instead of keeping it going. W's VP was also infamous for his intricate relationship with Halbech Halliburton-Bechtel. In any case, Trump is not special in that regard.

Don't think Obama did though*, but then Obama was (perhaps consequentially) intensely disliked by the usual suspects of Saudi, Israel, other Gulf states etc; and he was not a businessman before politics.

*except the still hilarious Nobel Prize money from well known bribery black hole Norway; and that went to charity.

exjon_media-narrative-chart_3-22-17.png

So amusingly whiny.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-lobbies-congress-eve-key-health-care-vote-220135684.html

Big vote today for Trumps new health care bill....I wonder how it will go ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-lobbies-congress-eve-key-health-care-vote-220135684.html

Big vote today for Trumps new health care bill....I wonder how it will go ?

It's looking like it won't even pass the House... But worse laws have passed with more support, see the Patriot Act, so who knows...

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The whole AHCA voting situation is amusing. Republicans have railed against Obamacare for what are now 8 years or something. They now control the House, the Senate and Presidency, and yet they can't repeal Obamacare. This is almost as big a failure as losing an election against Trump.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: