Politics 2017 part 4

Hurlshort

Meh, that's moronism from the opposite end to the 'muslim ban' or a 'muslim registry' and makes me want to give Mr/ Miss Rose an intellectual atomic wedgie. Completely ignoring the massive disparity in deaths due to the two extremist views is at very, very best facile and specious. There are more incidents of beatnik hippies/ rainbow haired SJWs protesting in the streets and being arrested than there are muslim extremist incidents as well, somehow I suspect that would not be regarded as a 'quantitatively, significantly, statistically' large threat to public peace.

A muslim registry is a stupid idea, that's a stupid and counter productive counter argument (particularly so since it can be a good counter) because anyone who disagrees has an instant indication of a - genuinely- bad faith argument being made so can dismiss it and any similar arguments out of hand.

All that and you have to take into account how many more pro-lifers there are compared to muslims. When basically half the country are pro-life it's obvious that there is going to be more terrorist attacks from them. Compare the per-capita and it doesn't look so good for muslims anyway. Even worse since starting with 1970 is stupid to begin with. At their per-capita rate if there were as many muslims as pro-lifers in the US it should be around 1050 attacks since 1970. A much more serious problem even if you excluded the difference in damage between the attacks.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I also think a muslim registry is a stupid idea.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Shifting gears a bit. Words have again failed the intellectual left https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/us/middlebury-college-charles-murray-bell-curve-protest.html?_r=0

I am not familiar with Charles Murry or his book The Bell Curve (other than the fact he did not invent the mathematical concept of Gaussian Distribution we think of as the bell curve). The Southern Poverty Law Center says he's racist but by their definition so am I. But this time they (left wing student protesters) did not just shut down a speech, they assaulted the speaker and the left leaning professor who was supposed to debate him. She ended up in the hospital. Not only will dissenting opinions not be tolerated by the left but participation in debate against them will not be tolerated either.

Way to go little Brown Shirts.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If someone honestly things he statistics and reasoning is wrong  shouldn't you want to debate him? I mean it should be easy to demonstrate how wrong he is right?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I would let people buy into Medicare, but Republicans in Congress are dead set against it.

But... but... think of all the lost FREEDOM in the revenue streams of insurance companies and care providers! 

(On your latter point, I think the thinking is not to have replacement federal regulations, but instead to allow folks to buy from the state they choose.  Which would trigger a classic "race to the bottom," as one or more "enterprising" states would inevitably strip away all the regulations that insurers hate most to attract them to move their HQ to that state.  Sort of like how every credit card issuer is in either DE or SD.  Costs would likely be lower, but it would also make effective consumer protection regulation very difficult.)

I guess that must be what they're thinking. But health insurance is a lot more complicated than credit cards, and a lot of credit is federally regulated now. An insurance regulator in Wisconsin would be completely unable to deal with problems of a customer in Texas, as he's got no jurisdiction here at all. And the insurance company would still have to comply with all the local laws, but there would be no one to make sure that they do. Major insurance companies are already participating in most states, so it wouldn't even make much difference. So yes, it just shows that people who think this is some kind of a holy grail don't know much about how health insurance works at all.
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Shifting gears a bit. Words have again failed the intellectual left https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/us/middlebury-college-charles-murray-bell-curve-protest.html?_r=0

I am not familiar with Charles Murry or his book The Bell Curve (other than the fact he did not invent the mathematical concept of Gaussian Distribution we think of as the bell curve). The Southern Poverty Law Center says he's racist but by their definition so am I. But this time they (left wing student protesters) did not just shut down a speech, they assaulted the speaker and the left leaning professor who was supposed to debate him. She ended up in the hospital. Not only will dissenting opinions not be tolerated by the left but participation in debate against them will not be tolerated either.

Nice wide brush there as always. Ah, people are funny.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nice wide brush there as always. Ah, people are funny.

The brush may be wide but the color suits

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's a step up from limp wristed liberals I guess.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You simply can't win I guess. :/

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You simply can't win I guess. :/

It would appear so.

1489424528-16992350_641822696002095_2379

Portland Anarchists fix the road

This makes me laugh more than I should.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Something actually disconcerting:

Trump steps in to keep 30-year-old NSC aide

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I can honestly say I didn't expect Trump to win the election but always thought, in the off chance that he did, that by virtue of the sheer destructiveness of his policies the left would be dragged kicking and screaming leftward and actually begin to organise around issues pertaining to class.

And that still may be true however it certainly won't be done with Democrat support. Were they smart they'd have attempted to court the left back to the centre/right with some basic class rhetoric/handouts but instead they seem to be going this route:

XoAIv5G.png

Basically adhering to what is quite honestly a very disturbing political narrative of supposedly unified "race interests". This will of course only continue to empower the rising racist far-right.

...and disenfranchise those of us that just don't buy into this garbage.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hopefully PBS endures.

I posted this earlier, but it probably bears repeating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/pentagon-buries-evidence-of-125-billion-in-bureaucratic-waste/2016/12/05/e0668c76-9af6-11e6-a0ed-ab0774c1eaa5_story.html?utm_term=.f5c75f8dfea4

My confidence wasn't super high in this administration, but it's pretty much below sea level at this point. Wasteful spending, baseless fearmongering, and bad tweets seem to be the trend for the next 4 years.

Edited by Hurlshot

I posted this earlier, but it probably bears repeating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/pentagon-buries-evidence-of-125-billion-in-bureaucratic-waste/2016/12/05/e0668c76-9af6-11e6-a0ed-ab0774c1eaa5_story.html?utm_term=.f5c75f8dfea4

My confidence wasn't super high in this administration, but it's pretty much below sea level at this point. Wasteful spending, baseless fearmongering, and bad tweets seem to be the trend for the next 4 years.

The study came out in 2015 and the article was published before Trump even took office, so why are you blaming him for that? Also the $125 billion is over 5 years, so not quite as much as might seem at first blush. Hopefully Mattis and Trump do act on those recommendations, the procurement process and probably everything else over there is a complete mess. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

You really think they will act on it? I am blaming him because he is in a position to act on it, and yet only seems to be throwing more money at the problem instead of actual reform. Those are taxpayer dollars being wasted. You seem mighty quick to assume they will do the right thing.

I can honestly say I didn't expect Trump to win the election but always thought, in the off chance that he did, that by virtue of the sheer destructiveness of his policies the left would be dragged kicking and screaming leftward and actually begin to organise around issues pertaining to class.And that still may be true however it certainly won't be done with Democrat support. Were they smart they'd have attempted to court the left back to the centre/right with some basic class rhetoric/handouts but instead they seem to be going this route:

XoAIv5G.png

Basically adhering to what is quite honestly a very disturbing political narrative of supposedly unified "race interests". This will of course only continue to empower the rising racist far-right.

This is good. The Democratic Party would never move beyond milquetoast liberalism and driving off anyone remotely class consiouss in the US still holding on will hopefully make a split happen. The issue is where those people go, a socdem party like the recent Green Party or a more radical organization. At this point I'm willing to bet on the former in the short-term, with a Trump victory in 2020 and maybe an economic downturn that wounds the right.

You really think they will act on it? I am blaming him because he is in a position to act on it, and yet only seems to be throwing more money at the problem instead of actual reform. Those are taxpayer dollars being wasted. You seem mighty quick to assume they will do the right thing.

I'm not assuming, I said "hopefully". Even if they do, it'll take a long time and will run into furious bureaucratic resistance. Meanwhile the military is in a shocking state of readiness. Also the spending increase isn't as much as it seems, as it's only from the very severe budge sequestration level, which hasn't actually been triggered since 2013.

It is hard to take the readiness argument at face value when we are cutting the State department budgets. If we are really worried about going to war with China and Russia, that would seem to be as important as military readiness.