Politics 2017 part 4

Hurlshort

If the public parks are nasty and dangerous then it makes sense to demand your tax money back so you can go to a nice private park, no?

Edit: Hilarious: https://twitter.com/conncarroll/status/838180293936807937

Is this true ? How many are we talking about and was the slowdown due to people being deported?
I think it's just theoretical at this point.

If the public parks are nasty and dangerous then it makes sense to demand your tax money back so you can go to a nice private park.

Do you actually buy that?
I wouldn't say it if I didn't. I was just pointing out that the situation isn't as unreasonable as it was portrayed in the ad. If you mean about the schools, then yes, many schools are nasty and dangerous. I understand it's more complex than just "it's all the schools' fault".

Edit: lol, we need some spikes on that wall: http://www.breitbart.com/border/2017/03/04/mexican-politician-climbed-border-fence-call-trumps-wall/

wallLG.jpg

You think spikes will stop anyone? Look at all these security measures. These are great security measures. They're fantastic. From that yuuge tower, soldiers, tremendous people, will shoot anyone who tries to get past the wall. It's true. I love it.

Now, some might say that people got across this wall anyway. That they build tunnels. Used Ballons. That there are even instances where the people of the other side helped them flee. Some say no matter how good the wall, people will always get past it. But anyone who says that is lying. He is fake news!

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I'd be the first to claim to being a defence budget hawk, but a boost to the defence budget is more than a little hard to justify in the minds of some given that Trump has shown little interest (some might even say contempt) in maintaining an international order based upon good order at sea.

355 ship navy? Great for making the Russians think twice about invading the Baltics and running roughshod over the Norwegians, making sure Iran's threats of closing the Strait of Hormuz are empty ones, and keeping things civil in the South China Sea, Strait of Malacca and the Gulf of Aden. Not so much against some loser 20-somethings from Belgium, Austria et al. riding around in Toyotas with DShks mounted on them in the desert of what is ostensibly a land-locked country (or the loser 20-somethings who shoot up night clubs and churches or blow up federal buildings in Trump's own country).

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Now, some might say that people got across this wall anyway. That they build tunnels. Used Ballons. That there are even instances where the people of the other side helped them flee.

A Russian pal once told me a joke that was being passed around when Sigmund Jähn became the first German to reach space that eventually people from the GDR would try to escape to the West by hijacking a Soyuz space mission.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I think the only reason I read this thread anymore is to follow this snappy repartee between Hurlshot and WoD. :lol: 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think the only reason I read this thread anymore is to follow this snappy repartee between Hurlshot and WoD. :lol:

You always seem to state the undeniable truth  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I say we put all left extremists, all violent Nazis and all violent religious fundamentalists just together on one field in the middle of no where and let them do their thing :p

And everybody knows

I say we put all left extremists, all violent Nazis and all violent religious fundamentalists just together on one field in the middle of no where and let them do their thing :p

You'll have to be quite violent to make them comply with that.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'd buy a ticket to watch.

Thomas Sowell

I'd buy a ticket to watch.

My money be on nazis and fundamentalists teaming up against the leftist then between them 2.....I dunno. If it's southern fundamentalists, I'd dare say they come out for the win if anyone was left.

I don´t know, but wouldn't a significant percentage of that be a bunch of people punching themselves in the face?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Or we could do the smart thing and line them up and cut their throats in sequence.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Or we could do the smart thing and line them up and cut their throats in sequence.

Sounds like someone converted to Islam...

Sounds like soemone needs to look up gang activity in some places.

Funny enough back home, decapitation was the big thing. Not even sure why in most cases (you'll get hilariously racist answers there) but people have to act like animals I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sounds like someone converted to Islam...

Sounds like soemone needs to look up gang activity in some places.

Funny enough back home, decapitation was the big thing. Not even sure why in most cases (you'll get hilariously racist answers there) but people have to act like animals I guess.

Are you Mayan or something?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nope Trinidad. Machete killings have been a thing even before I emigrated. Situation is worse now, saw a report that ISIS recruits a fair amount there these days.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/12/isis-trinidad/509930/

Nonono... much more costly. We just let them kill each other, for free.

And everybody knows

I think the key here is with whom the Nazis will side first... the left extremists or the fundamentalists. And let's not forget Hitler and Stalin had a pact at first... ;)

And everybody knows

Leftist guerillas will firebomb a nazi building and liberals will become nazis to prove they are the "tolerant left".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJeugIJFXas

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I wouldn't say it if I didn't. I was just pointing out that the situation isn't as unreasonable as it was portrayed in the ad. If you mean about the schools, then yes, many schools are nasty and dangerous. I understand it's more complex than just "it's all the schools' fault".

So the military is 'unready' and you want to throw another 54 billion dollars at it, but our schools are 'nasty and dangerous' and so you want to take money away from them. Okey dokey.

Can I get a voucher for sending money to a private security company? These guys get the job done:

There are private schools, but no private military yet. Many people though hire private security when the police aren't doing enough. Private military might not be a bad idea, there was a story in some African country about 100 mercenaries doing more good than 15000 UN "peace keepers".

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So the military is 'unready' and you want to throw another 54 billion dollars at it, but our schools are 'nasty and dangerous' and so you want to take money away from them. Okey dokey.

Can I get a voucher for sending money to a private security company? These guys get the job done:

There are private schools, but no private military yet. Many people though hire private security when the police aren't doing enough. Private military might not be a bad idea, there was a story in some African country about 100 mercenaries doing more good than 15000 UN "peace keepers".

You lost me on this one WoD. You should do a little reading about Odoacer and his foederati infantry of the 6th Century before wishing for something like that. The security and defense of the nation and the integrity of the borders  is the first duty of any government. Contractors and mercenaries have their uses but they should never be relied on as the first line of defense.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell