Replacing camping supplies with something

I'm not quite sure why an "annoyance factor" is so objectionable. If I was an adventurer, trying to get to the bottom of a pit/dungeon/quest/whathaveyou, and I was so rubbish at being an adventurer that I would have to go back to town to rest all of the time, that would be REALLY ANNOYING. If I then became a better adventurer and didn't have to go back to town all the time, that would be a REAL RELIEF because the alternative is just so darn annoying.

I'll concede that some people might not find it entertaining, but I'm happy that for once I'm playing a game that doesn't set out to be a "no bumps in the road" fun-fest all of the time.

• Like 1

Guest 4ward

To the people who liked BG's ambush mechanic: What would happen to me in BG was casters run out of spells => rest => get ambushed => either win or reload => rest again => repeat until you successfully rest, ad nauseam. Did you enjoy playing this "just one good night's sleep" minigame? Just my opinion, of course, but I really, really did not.

perhaps you rested at gnoll's fortress or firewine bridge in BG1 or say troll cave in BG2 or anywhere you just had a battle ? During my last BG2 playthrough i think my rest was disturbed mostly just once at the same resting spot. It wouldn't make sense to savescum, instead just wander off a little bit and rest where it's more likely that you won't get ambushed multiple times.

I also don't find BG's ambush mechanics enjoyable or a meaningful limit on resting; camping supplies were a better mechanic to discourage resting after every fight than ambushes, which tended to be easily defeated anyway. Lingering stronghold resting bonuses + survival bonuses were also a good mechanic to positively encourage resting.

i actually don't know of anyone who rested after every fight in BG1/BG2. The player learns, gets better and rests less.

I'm not quite sure why an "annoyance factor" is so objectionable. If I was an adventurer, trying to get to the bottom of a pit/dungeon/quest/whathaveyou, and I was so rubbish at being an adventurer that I would have to go back to town to rest all of the time, that would be REALLY ANNOYING. If I then became a better adventurer and didn't have to go back to town all the time, that would be a REAL RELIEF because the alternative is just so darn annoying.

I'll concede that some people might not find it entertaining, but I'm happy that for once I'm playing a game that doesn't set out to be a "no bumps in the road" fun-fest all of the time.

Arguably annoyance factor is important because the game isn't "real life adventurer simulation" so I'd imagine most people would want the game play aspects to not become tedious.  Note I consider "annoyance" to be inherently unequal to "cost/benefit".

To the people who liked BG's ambush mechanic: What would happen to me in BG was casters run out of spells => rest => get ambushed => either win or reload => rest again => repeat until you successfully rest, ad nauseam. Did you enjoy playing this "just one good night's sleep" minigame? Just my opinion, of course, but I really, really did not.

perhaps you rested at gnoll's fortress or firewine bridge in BG1 or say troll cave in BG2 or anywhere you just had a battle ? During my last BG2 playthrough i think my rest was disturbed mostly just once at the same resting spot. It wouldn't make sense to savescum, instead just wander off a little bit and rest where it's more likely that you won't get ambushed multiple times.

Any outdoor location (and some indoor) had a chance of opponents showing up in BG1.  If you rested at the first location and several early ones, gibberlings/xvarts/wild dogs/wolves could spawn.  Kobolds around firewine, but also around the nashkell mines.  Skeletons around High Hedge or Bassilus' location.  Gnolls as you came closer to the fortress.  Bandits/hobgoblins in a number of locations.

I also don't find BG's ambush mechanics enjoyable or a meaningful limit on resting; camping supplies were a better mechanic to discourage resting after every fight than ambushes, which tended to be easily defeated anyway. Lingering stronghold resting bonuses + survival bonuses were also a good mechanic to positively encourage resting.

i actually don't know of anyone who rested after every fight in BG1/BG2. The player learns, gets better and rests less.

I seem to recall there were people during PoE's campaign who said they rested after most every fight in BG/BG2 so that they could always be at full strength.  Particularly in BG2 so they could be prepared for mage battles as they were regularly exhausting their spells.  Certainly there was little incentive not to save-rest-reload if necessary in the game for the most part since I don't think there were many time based quests (none in BG that I can recall and...one or two in BG2?)

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man