Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Infinitron

even though I loved the first half of the game, I absolutely hated the second half.

So it's true to PST, then.
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I still have hope that they'll fix most of that stuff with patches and expansions. The game has a lot of potential, it was slowly becoming my favorite modern CRPG, and then it went downhill faster than the endings of Mass Effect 3.

even though I loved the first half of the game, I absolutely hated the second half.

The actual end sequence of PST was fantastic (so long as you didn't spend ages fighting the shadows and just ran for the wotsits). Probably the best I've played of any game as it fit so very well.

The Curst to Fortress section was certainly worse than the rest of the game though.

• Like 1

The actual end sequence of PST was fantastic (so long as you didn't spend ages fighting the shadows and just ran for the wotsits). Probably the best I've played of any game as it fit so very well.

The Curst to Fortress section was certainly worse than the rest of the game though.

Would agree with Curst only, not with the Baator or Carceri sequences at all.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I just found a Don Quijote reference, this game is weird.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I finished the game a few hours ago.

How the hell people do this? It's been 3 days since release. I'm 15h in the game and I didn't finish the first location.

Well, the beta was pretty much the first half of the game so I skipped some dialogue in that part since I'd played it recently. And yeah, once you leave the first city there's not much else.

Edited by Kefky

How the hell people do this? It's been 3 days since release. I'm 15h in the game and I didn't finish the first location.

I'm not done with creating my character.

• Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Well, the beta was pretty much the first half of the game so I skipped some dialogue in that part since I'd played it recently. And yeah, once you leave the first city there's not much else.

Inaccurate. The Bloom can take just as long if you do all the quests. It's between the two that is *super* quick.

I see questions are repeatable for shorter answers but I wonder if there's any exra reason to do it? Like a quest or bit of info hidden behind repeats.

On at least two occasions, yes, I found new or extended information in that manner. Sometimes it gives you Tide affinity on the repeat, even if it didn't on the original. And sometimes the NPC will comment about your crap memory, but I don't know if that has any real effect or is just window dressing.

• Like 1

My favorite thing about TToN so far is that, like its predecessor, death and failure aren't necessarily bad, sometimes failure can be beneficial in unexpected ways.  It reduces the incentive to save scum to get the "best" outcome from any given situation.  I mean, I wasn't going to save scum anyway.  Much like I did with Tyranny, I'm making my decisions and sticking with them for better or worse.  I'll take all my successes and failures in stride and deal with the consequences.  I find that exponentially more enjoyable than save scumming to get "ideal" results.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Inaccurate. The Bloom can take just as long if you do all the quests. It's between the two that is *super* quick.

I dunno

I never played the beta and did everything I could find and Sagus Cliffs seemed like it took up half my playtime.

Anyways, dunno about those endings

Free games updated 3/4/21

My favorite thing about TToN so far is that, like its predecessor, death and failure aren't necessarily bad, sometimes failure can be beneficial in unexpected ways.  It reduces the incentive to save scum to get the "best" outcome from any given situation.  I mean, I wasn't going to save scum anyway.  Much like I did with Tyranny, I'm making my decisions and sticking with them for better or worse.  I'll take all my successes and failures in stride and deal with the consequences.  I find that exponentially more enjoyable than save scumming to get "ideal" results.

So long as it fixes PST's problem of dying too much making the final dungeon a piece of work...

I like how it handled dying to the first real combat sequence so much that I didn't reload my save. But am still worried about heading down that path.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm still running around Sagus Cliffs but I've been enjoying the game quite a bit. My main complaint is still that the game feels sluggish to play due to how stuff like movement works and that it always takes a while for the game to respond before you talk to people and stuff (character has to shuffle in place, and then there's a short animation for the dialogue window to come up). I just hate that stuff. 

And while I do like the idea of the Crisis stuff, it makes some of them really tedious when you have lots of combatants. The classic turnbased scenario when you are stuck waiting for a while to everyone to take their turn and then you have to struggle with the UI and how slow and clumsy everything feels. 

It's not a pleasant game to play in that regard I think, luckily most of the gameplay is talking to people and stuff so it's not really a requirement that everything feels smooth. But yeah... it annoys me quite a bit.

But other than that, I really enjoy the game. It's found a similar pace to Planescape: Torment, and I really enjoy that. There is lots of reading and while some of it feels a bit lore dump-ish (the endless "who are you? why are you here? etc" questions) it's generally interesting and certainly much better than most games. I don't think the initial mystery is as strong as Planescape: Torment which is a shame. It doesn't quite have that foreign feeling of just waking up in a crazy city and trying to make your way, you get a fair amount of info regarding what your place in the world is right from the start and I think that kinda hurts it. Would've preferred it if that info was only revealed a bit later on perhaps.

But yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, making my way through it slowly.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

They should have added a counter in the intro that checks if you save scum a lot. Then it could have made people a "savescumming metagamer" instead of whatever :p

(I'm a graceful jack apparently)

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Really? If anything that makes me save scum even more because I need to get through every check with two different outcomes to see when exactly failure is the better option, at least when it comes to items and, ridiculously enough, stat increases. Succeeding gives you 50 shins and failing a permanent +1 to Quick Fingers?

Riiiight. No, not gonna scum that. No way. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Really? If anything that makes me save scum even more because I need to get through every check with two different outcomes to see when exactly failure is the better option, at least when it comes to items and, ridiculously enough, stat increases. Succeeding gives you 50 shins and failing a permanent +1 to Quick Fingers?

Riiiight. No, not gonna scum that. No way. ;)

Save scumming had always been a choice, and still is for Numenera - if you want to do it, do it. But all players will run into failure sooner or later, and failure being a new choice instead of ... Well, failure, makes the game a lot more interesting for all of us who do not save scum (Majority I'd think)
  • Like 1

I played through it in almost one day and I got what I expected: a playable novel. A good one, although colder than Planescape and some of it's part didn't match. On the one hand, the story is tighter than in Planescape (where you ran aimless around until the second half of the game), but you aren't as much invested in the world. I like the artdesign though and it get's weirder, that's a plus in my book.

Overall, at the moment I would give the game 7 out of 10. Maybe a 7.5, when I had more time to reflect on it.

Edited by Harry Easter

Finished it today (took about 20 hours) so can finally give a proper opinion. Like Tyranny, it had some really interesting ideas (like mindscan!) but I think the weak combat system holds it back from becoming truly great. More fighting would have been great to break up some of the dialogue and the endless fetch the mcguffin quests. I love me a good fantasy novel, but sometimes I'm so tired after work that I'd prefer to mindlessly kill something, rather than dive into another super poetic flashback description. And even if you DO manage to get into a fight, its kind of a slow and clunky system. Waiting for the enemies turn takes ages, and why no formations!

Still, nice companions. Erritis was a riot. I want more demon possessed, adventure seeking idiots in RPGs.

Definitely this. Makes me want to play and immortal in more games, because this was awesome. At one point, dying in combat actually benefited me.